Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Nov 17, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

depends on why you had decided not florida again?
have you considered doing florida without the parks or at least skipping disney as that is a huge saving. There is a huge amount to do in florida outside the main parks that get overlooked and by trying new things and not doing the parks it might feel like a whole new holiday rather than a repeat of the last 2 trips.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

As a family you decided not to go to Florida. Did you agree because why would you even look if so?

I’d sit the decision makers down in the family to test if it’s a hard no before doing anything else and have a discussion about where people would like to go and what type of holiday. My cousin went to port adventura for a couple of weeks to get a break from Disney. But there are so many different options.
Alices Aunt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I know people havd different opinions but I find Spain (or similar) much cheaper than Florida as a holiday.
There are 3 of us, DD is classed as an adult for prices. We tend to go for 10-11 nights to Florida, a week to Spain as it has less travelling. Florida with either Disney or Universal (can't justify both for 11 nights) works out around £6000. If staying onsite Disney, food is included, if not then food has to be bought as well.

Spain (Tenerife) for the 3 of us next Easter is costing us £2100 for a very nice 4* half board hotel. We actually have a 2 storey apartment for that price with 2 seperate bedrooms which we wouldn't get onsite Disney. It is half board so a snack lunch, drinks and any day trips will be extra but I imagine another £1000 will easily cover that. We would spend that on extras in Florida, possibly more if you consider tips, shopping, Ubers etc.

Also, as you said, you decided to have a break from Florida this year. Maybe the family would prefer Spain as a break and enjoy Florida more after a year away. Only you know whether your family want a different style of holiday this year or were just saving costs. Either way, despite the cheap flights, I believe you would save £2-3000 at least by choosing Spain so it is a big saving to put away towards the next Florida holiday, meaning more cash to do all you want on that trip without worrying about the expense. Hope you have a good time whichever you decide ☺
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think you can argue it either way ... whilst a"nice" Spanish hotel might be cheaper than Disney ... it won't follow that it will be cheaper than a "nice" off site property or a villa.
Likewise comparing a week in Spain with a longer long haul holiday is in no way a direct comparison, just two entirely different holidays.For some a week in Europe might be comparable to a longer long haul holiday for most people it'd be a case of looking for similar durations.

Florida certainly isn't the be all and end all of holidays but neither are some or all theme parks an essential either. I've happily holidayed in Florida and not gone to the parks , but we didn't stay in Orlando and constantly pass the parks . Had we had we might have felt we were missing out but instead we could have been ten miles away or a thousand, it made no difference as we had plenty of activities planned.

There are however a lot more choices than a Spanish resort hotel or Orlando out there so it isn't one or the other .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We've been saying we would have a break/skip for a year for the last 5 years in a row now .. yet we still make the decision to go again

We used to go for the EU/All Inclusive option (4* or 5*) holiday, but since going to Florida, I can't see us going back to just sitting by a pool/beach for 2 weeks straight, so if we did give the US a miss, would likely look to something more active.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

if you really want to go back to Florida I would cut the holiday to 12 nights , spend 5 nights or less at universal and then go to the coast for the remainder, which would make it cheaper. . We did that on our last trip(Anna Maria) and was our best Florida holiday.
Equally we have done Europe for cheaper than £6000 and had just a good as time. Despite it being a so called "beach holiday" we have just as many trips out and are kept equally as busy and have never spent all day on the beach, my children preferred Europe to Orlando.
I would have a family discussion as to where everyone would prefer to go though as I think that's fair . Sometimes a change is good!
Old 1 Dec 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I think you can argue it either way ... whilst a"nice" Spanish hotel might be cheaper than Disney ... it won't follow that it will be cheaper than a "nice" off site property or a villa.
Likewise comparing a week in Spain with a longer long haul holiday is in no way a direct comparison, just two entirely different holidays.For some a week in Europe might be comparable to a longer long haul holiday for most people it'd be a case of looking for similar durations.

Florida certainly isn't the be all and end all of holidays but neither are some or all theme parks an essential either. I've happily holidayed in Florida and not gone to the parks , but we didn't stay in Orlando and constantly pass the parks . Had we had we might have felt we were missing out but instead we could have been ten miles away or a thousand, it made no difference as we had plenty of activities planned.

There are however a lot more choices than a Spanish resort hotel or Orlando out there so it isn't one or the other .
I agree, so many places to see and explore. It isn't ever just down to price.

Plus Orlando can be enjoyed without the parks which would save costs. Likewise activities and trips can be booked in European resorts. Next Easter we are planning a dolphin watching boat trip and a zoo visit and DD wants to try scuba diving.

It is a case of deciding what holiday op wants. But if it's down to cost alone, I feel Europe would be cheaper. We are visiting both Europe and Orlando next year but 2019 we are planning visiting Vietnam as our older son lives there. I would hate to just visit the same place every year, although I realise this is something many do prefer.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
popdriver
Proud to wear my Ears

Wow, a lot to take in here... firstly thank you!

So the reason we said no to Florida next year;

1, costs
2, we felt 3 years in a row and magic would be lost

So, we went to Cyprus at this October half term... and that reminded us that beach holidays are not all that and in the evening there is pretty much nowt to do but eat / drink / ropey entertainment & tat shops

So our dilemma isn't really shall we go to Florida, it's more that we cannot find a beach holiday that is nice, nice food / location, walk onto a beach / no sun bed wars

In fact it's the sunbed wars that put us right off hotels in Europe, hence the villa concept

Then I find a fly drive for 5 of us for £2,700 next august and start to think shall we do Florida - we all love it and the kids are getting older, currently 14/12/8

Is there an alternative holiday location?
popdriver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We almost never sit around the pool on holiday, we are either out and about doing stuff or at the beach.

Couple of years ago we stayed at a four star hotel directly on the beach at Santa Ponsa, Majorca. It's a very cosmopolitan resort rather than all Brits, loads of water sports , fantastic beach and a bay so the water is warm . Lots of places to visit . If I was looking for a cheaper or shorter alternative I'd go back in a heartbeat. We DIY'd it and it was really reasonable.

That said a villa in Florida with the beach as the focus and no or minimal theme park tickets is very affordable .

Edited at 01:09 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
popdriver
Proud to wear my Ears

I am calling on all your wisdom to tell me to stop pontificating and just book this;

We are 2 Aduults, 3 kids 14/13/8

Possible flights leaving at the end of July 2018

Outbound Flights Journey Duration: 12 hrs 25 minutes
Leeds Bradford to London Heathrow, UK
Changeover Duration: 1 hr 50
LHR to Miami International, Florida - USA

Return Flights Journey Duration: 15 hrs 20 minutes

Miami International, Florida - USA to Chicago O'Hare Intl, Illinois - USA
Changeover Duration: 1 hr 20 minutes
Chicago O'Hare Intl, Illinois - USA to London Heathrow, UK
Changeover Duration: 1 hr 45 minutes
London Heathrow to Leeds Bradford

5 nights in universal Loews Royal Pacific
18 days 7 seater mini van [only a mini van for luggage purposes] car is all in with zero,excess

Costs

Flights £1807
Hotel £836
Car £610

Total £3266

Questions;

Do you think these flights are sensible?
Is the 3 flight return leg stupid?

Our plan is 5 nights on site for universal and then bag a villa & do Disney & other stuff for 13 nights

That takes the budget to;

Flights / car / hotel £3,266
Villa £1100 [bases on what we paid this year]

Disney & universal £2953

Total is £7319 for 18 nights +spends

Any tips on how to talk to the kids & wife from avoiding Disney & save cash? Lol

Spain wouldn't cost that much... if I dropped one of the hotel nights & avoided Disney I could get to £5k
popdriver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List