Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 May 18, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

My daughter had 1 of the computer science exams Monday - she said it was easier than she thought but it is one of the subjects she is good at.

Yesterday was Biology. Just spoke to her on the phone to ask about carrots and she said she had potatoes and osmosis. She said it is the OCR exam and she is doing combined science higher level. She said she found it quite easy but again, biology is one of her best subjects. She says she wishes she had taken triple science now but at the time the option blocks didn't fit in with what else she wanted to do but now she knows she wants to go into the vet field she would have been better off doing triple as they get 3 grades instead of 2.

No exams for her today then tomorrow she has chemistry and another computer science.

They sort of have study leave at her school. Before half term it is not so much as if they have finished the exams for that subject they can go home and as they have only just started the exams there are none they have finished. In lessons they are revising and DD has finished all her art but she chooses to stay in the art lessons and revise for her other subjects rather than go home as it is a 20 minute walk away and she said she is more focused at school at the moment.

Good luck to all the children and parents !
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP

Edited at 08:04 AM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lottie2004
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hi another stressed household here ... well not my DS but hubby and myself ! He has his 2nd RS paper this afternoon and then Chemistry tomorrow ! He also did Biology yesterday and he felt it went better then he expected he says he had questions on potatoes not carrots and it was about potato virus and something about antibodies ! Lol ... 3 down 17 to go 🤪🤪🤪
Good luck to all year 11’s -
Lottie2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have study leave and I don’t think it works for everyone. Last year my son was a nightmare, he struggled to focus at home even though the study was quiet without distractions. We were constantly on his case and it was almost like house arrest for us! He would have been better with the structure and supervision of school. On the other hand, my daughter is in study leave now and she is working well. She is managing her time with breaks and doesn’t need any “babysitting”.
It all depends on the child I guess
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

No study leave for my son. Normal lessons this week and next if they aren't in an exam. Workshops instead of lessons after half term (he has a home study day Friday 22nd June - his exams finish on the 21st!).

His first exam was RE on Monday which went well so it has helped his nerves.

French and Biology yesterday - he said the biology was better than the French.

Last RE exam today so that's one subject down - just 11 to go!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

We have RS today, number 2 of three. My DD is on study leave, not all local schools are doing it this time though.
Old 16 May 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Text from DD to say that the Art exam project has been marked and she should get an 8. Her course work was a high 7/low 8 so hopefully it will bring it all up to an 8. They don't know the exact grades but do know the marks so the grades should be there or thereabout.

She needs 6 grade 6's to get into her preferred college but wants to go to vet school and needs 6 grade 7's for that so fingers crossed that is one down and 5 to go.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Lottie2004
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My son needs an average of 6 out of 8 subjects I think they drop the lowest mark .. to attend the 6th form ! I was surprised as that is equivalent to a B !
Just making him a bacon sandwich to set him up for the exam this afternoon ! Lol
Lottie2004 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thedors View Post
Hello!

Doesn't seem to be a thread running this yr on GCSEs. Just be nice to know how the kids are all doing.

My DD had Biology this afternoon & all she has gone on about is Carrots! Apparently in lessons & revision they have focused on potatoes & enzymes etc & the questions today were about carrots .

Hope everyone is doing ok,(parents I mean ) not easy being in a house with hormonal/stressed teen at the best of time!
After asking my son yesterday about any carrots (in his Scottish GCSE equivalent Nat5) exam - and him thinking I was mad...

He came to me this morning with a poem that has apparently been doing the rounds online

"Roses are red
Biology is lame
Why do boiled carrots mass stay the same?"
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Cha cha
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
My daughter had 1 of the computer science exams Monday - she said it was easier than she thought but it is one of the subjects she is good at.

Yesterday was Biology. Just spoke to her on the phone to ask about carrots and she said she had potatoes and osmosis. She said it is the OCR exam and she is doing combined science higher level. She said she found it quite easy but again, biology is one of her best subjects. She says she wishes she had taken triple science now but at the time the option blocks didn't fit in with what else she wanted to do but now she knows she wants to go into the vet field she would have been better off doing triple as they get 3 grades instead of 2.

No exams for her today then tomorrow she has chemistry and another computer science.

They sort of have study leave at her school. Before half term it is not so much as if they have finished the exams for that subject they can go home and as they have only just started the exams there are none they have finished. In lessons they are revising and DD has finished all her art but she chooses to stay in the art lessons and revise for her other subjects rather than go home as it is a 20 minute walk away and she said she is more focused at school at the moment.

Good luck to all the children and parents !
My DD is doing computing too, she thought it went ok, but said they hadn't been taught a lot of it as not enough time since the course work side of it had to be dropped.
She also wants to be a vet!
She's currently revising for her Chemistry and Computing exams tomorrow.
😊
Cha cha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck to all of your children taking their GCSEs. It’s A levels for us this year.

Are all the exams marked under the new system now? I wonder how much difference it will make. I didn’t think there were more exams under the new system though, as my daughter had 26 two years ago. She’s quite happy that she’s only got 7 A level exams to take as she already did 2 last year.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List