Notices

Old 19 Jun 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Week in Bangkok - June 2018: Day 1 Travel Day

So here I am again - stuck at an airport and now on completely different flights than I was an hour ago!

Let's start at the beginning of the day

I woke up as usual at 6am, breakfasted and showered and said goodbye to F who was off to school. J took me to work and I spent the morning going through my emails and remembering to put my out of office on!

J came for me at 12noon and drove me the 5 minutes to the airport. I printed out my baggage label having checked on online yesterday. I was so happy to have an extra legroom seat.

J and I went to get lunch - slim pickings. I chose an avocado salad - the only problem being was that the avocado was still frozen... The cafe refunded me!

I said goodbye to J and went through security which was fairly painless.

I was starving so got myself a sandwich as there was nothing else available that was both vegetarian and low carb 😟 Doesn't it look lovely?

Suddenly a text popped up on my phone - my Amsterdam flight was delayed by three hours. I went to the gate as I would miss my connection. They told me to exit and then go to the Air France desk to be rerouted.

A bit chaotic at Air France but I got seen by a nice lady who tried to reroute me through Paris and Shanghai arriving 12h later than planned. As she had already mentioned the Lufthansa flight via Frankfurt I asked if could be put on that. I would still arrive over 4h late but better than over 24h of travelling. She negotiated with the head office and they agreed. Phew!

I had to go back to collect my bag - thankfully I know enough people at the airport that they let me through to get it easily!

I have checked in online - surprising good seats. On the Bangkok flight I have an aisle bulkhead seat just behind business. No veggie meal though.

Now I am stuck with my suitcase until bag drop opens at 5pm! What joy!

My boss just called to see how I was getting on and was amazed how zen I am! I think if I had been rerouted via Shanghai I wouldn't have been quite so calm but what will be will be!

I will try to update later!

Do it is almost 6.30pm. I am at the gate and the incoming flight has arrived ! Hopefully it will leave on time as I only have 1h15 to transit...

The on time gods were finally with me. We pushed back 5 minutes early and took off right at 7pm. For once we were routed over my house!

The flight took 1h20 - so by the time we had taxied to the stand and the passage way was attached it was about 8.40pm. Bangkok was looking doable!

I ran through Frankfurt as sometimes they catch you out with passport control and extra security. This time a very empty passport line and no security. I was at the gate by 9pm! I even had time to nip into duty free to spray myself with Chanel5 as I was getting a bit stinky!

Boarding took ages - and it seems the seat map I chose my seat from bore no resemblance to reality - I was about 4 rows back but at least had an aisle seat! Up to the last minute I thought I may have a free seat next to me but no - a big tour group got on!

We took off 20 minutes late! It was looking like I would be over 4 h late arriving at my destination!

I watched “The Founder” - a film about the creation of McDonalds and then dinner was served! I ate all the salad with some cheese!

The main course was veggie ravioli. I picked at it but didn't eat much as it wasn't helping my low carb diet!

I must have nodded off at some stage...

Edited at 02:48 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Oh Mel, not the best start! Things can only get better.
Old 19 Jun 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Oh no...hopefully all will go to plan from here on in...

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 20 Jun 18 2:59 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Oh Mel, not the best start! Things can only get better.
I take these things well! As it was a technical issue with the incoming flight meaning they had to change it so it arrived 3,5h late I should be able to offset my delay with the EU compensation.

I am here now! That is the main thing!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Oh no...hopefully all will go to plan from here on in...
Thanks! I am sure it will. Now at the hotel watching the World Cup trying to stay awake long enough to attempt a decent night’s sleep!

Will do today when I wake up in the night 😴

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Pleased you got there and the time gods were your friend, I hope you get a decent sleep.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Pleased you got there and the time gods were your friend, I hope you get a decent sleep.
Thank you! Apart from briefly waking once or twice (for a few minutes) I slept soundly! Now at breakfast!

Index of my trip reports
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
You don’t seem to have much luck when you travel alone! Glad they managed to get you onto the plane with the shortest delay though and hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you got there

Joan