Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Jun 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’d do a value Disney resort. They aren’t much more than some hotels and the only way you’d have the walking options. The US is so vast that staying in some resorts in Florida it’s a mile from the room to the front gate! And in the Florida weather that’s a long sticky walk!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
ETA: Please don't try to push a wheelchair from Hotel Plaza to Disney Springs. I think it is dangerous. US streets are not made for walking.
The walkway along hotel plaza boulevard is the exception to this. It is wide and smooth, a good distance from the road with lots of grass at either side with a number of safe crossings along it.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's much appreciated.
I suppose I don't feel confident enough to drive in the US. I've been driving 30 years. But I don't know the area, roads and hate it when people are up your back end and no patience. We've managed fine before but I would like next time to be different.
Think it'll definitely consider staying on site for a few nights then move.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice. It's much appreciated.
I suppose I don't feel confident enough to drive in the US. I've been driving 30 years. But I don't know the area, roads and hate it when people are up your back end and no patience. We've managed fine before but I would like next time to be different.
Think it'll definitely consider staying on site for a few nights then move.
I think you will be surprised by driving over there. I find the whole experience a lot more pleasant than over here and can honestly
say have never experienced anyone too close it impatient. Hire a satnav and no issues with knowing where you are going. Plus as a blue badge holder you park right near the park entrances. Appreciate it's a big decision but driving isn't as bad as you may think
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Free dining makes quite a difference if staying on site.

We've stayed in most of the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels over the years and Disney Springs is walkable without any issues but the heart of Disney Springs is a fair old walk even from the nearest hotels.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Mobile

For Universal you could stay on North side of International Drive but you still won't be able to walk to Universal. I did it once when I was 19 and it was so dangerous!
You could try stay at one of the lower priced Universal Hotels perhaps.
Old 14 Jun 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Tea View Post
For Universal you could stay on North side of International Drive but you still won't be able to walk to Universal. I did it once when I was 19 and it was so dangerous!
You could try stay at one of the lower priced Universal Hotels perhaps.
Its perfectly safe to walk along Universal Boulevard from IDrive. There are proper pavements and timed crossings along the way, we've done it many times ... takes about 10 minutes. The only thing that would stop me is the heat or being tired on the way back.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think it would be useful to look into alternative means of transport rather than walking. It’s just not doable at Disney and even if you find somewhere close to Universal do you really want to have to walk after a day walking round the theme parks?
Driving over there is really straightforward but if you really don’t want to then lots of people swear by Uber. Or lots of hotels have shuttle buses to the parks.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I agree with getting yourself a car, I am the worlds worst at thinking about driving a new vehicle but even I love driving over there. You just need to take some time in the car park to get used to the controls and concentrate when you get on your first road. You could get transport to your hotel then pick up a car the next day there are a few places round the area to pick cars up from. When we first started going my sister did al the driving as I was too nervous, then she was poorly one day and I had to drive but I have never looked back I love it now we literally do hundreds of miles and go all over seeing new places.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Cheap & cheerful near Disney - Clarion Inn, it's going to be a 20-30 min walk to Disney Springs though. Universal I'm not any good for but anything that's close to the old Wet & Wild site will be closest.
Personally I don't have a problem with driving, if it helps any, once you are away from the airport, travelling between Disney & US is a fairly straight road - they are both junctions off of I4
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List