Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jun 18, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

I completely understand where you're coming from.

I've been 3 times total, first in a villa and other two times in hotels - The villa we stayed in was lovely and the space was great as was having our own pool etc but a car was necessary for everything ( I was a teenager with my parents that time so my dad was driving) That was the main reason behind us using hotels for the other two visits - I don't want to drive when i'm on holiday! I'm the only person in our household who can drive and I spend a lot of my time driving people about to clubs/parties/work etc or going for the shopping and doing general errands and I don't want to spend my holiday doing the same thing - as I keep pointing out to everyone else, it's my holiday too!
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Hey i always done a villa , i only drive, i also only drink so i have to compramise. And i still prefer a villa over a hotel. Wifey preferes the seclusion of a villa, and tbh i love a happy wife. Xx

Edited at 12:40 AM.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Firstxmastrip
Imagineer

Firstxmastrip's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
we love a villa. we find it relaxing to come back at the end of the day, away from the hustle and bustle. Always drive out of an evening but then i really enjoy driving. My sister isn't as keen so she has booked a hotel as they don't really like driving and do like a wander like you said of a night without the need of a car. They have booked a car though for daytime journeys.
Firstxmastrip is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It's good everyone is different but for me I am horrified by the number of people that share one room (and worse one bathroom) described in some of the threads on here. I like my personal space, I am incapable of travelling light so like my walk in wardrobes, own bathroom and of course our own swimming pool.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jendita
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We prefer villa as no stress trying to find a sun lounger! 😂

If we're sharing with relatives we usually get separate cars and then use uber for restaurant trips so we can all drink. So we can get an uber to somewhere like old town or pointe Orlando or celebration so you can have a walk, drink and meal and a nice evening out
Old 24 Jun 18, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
It's good everyone is different but for me I am horrified by the number of people that share one room (and worse one bathroom) described in some of the threads on here. I like my personal space, I am incapable of travelling light so like my walk in wardrobes, own bathroom and of course our own swimming pool.
We used to stay in suite style accommodation (1 bedroom, one lounge room) on our last 2 I-drive trips. Went to the hawthorn suites at Westwood Blvd near seaworld - cheap and cheerful. There are other options now of course.

I got to sleep on the couch, BUT that meant that I had a room to myself once everyone else retired for the evening.

Now we each get a room as my sister doesn't come, but I do understand why the thought of 4 people in one room is a little daunting, we did do that in 96, 98 and 03 though and we managed.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t stayed in a villa for the reasons you described above, on-site is amazing, and everything on I drive is just so convenient. I like driving but I also love a good wander when I’m on holiday!
A villa sounds nice but the hotel on I drive suits just fine at the moment!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

As we don’t do the parks anymore (we’re Gulf Coast addicts) the view, peace and quiet is essential for us so a hotel room just doesn’t work anymore. I wake much earlier than hubby on holiday so I need to be able to go to a different room / area to have a cuppa, web surf etc without disturbing him. Many a time I’ve only had a bathroom to go in or just led in bed itching for him to wake up. Gone are those days! Condos were an acceptable alternative but you still had noise from other guests and housekeeping knocking. Then we realized that we could get a whole house with private pool and amazing view for the same price or cheaper than a condo and that was it. I love love love driving in America and find it relaxing so more than happy to drive to a restaurant (I’m not a drinker and can wait till we get back to the Villa). As you say, it’s good we are all different 😊
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Most people at home have to share a bathroom though?
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

For couples or those with very young children I can see the attraction of hotels but with it comes one bathroom, one room and more togetherness than a lot of families can sustain,especially if your kids bicker or are teenagers .
I know some people like to go to the same places for meals but in a villa you tend to have more choices, plus if want a lazy day and some peace and quiet there's always delivery ... and you don't e d up sleeping in a room smelling ofpizza or Chinese all night either ! I've probably only once stayed onsite ish at a hotel I'd consider to be peaceful in the day ...and that was the Swan ,Dis Disney hotels at all levels tend to bussle to some extent and can't be described as peaceful.
I'll forgo someone making my bed in exchange for peace and privacy after a few busy onsite days
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List