Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
peter+lynne
Imagineer

peter+lynne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
virgin upper class

ok lets talk upper class.

going next sept in premium economy.
done premium a few times now.

if I can get the upgrade to upper for around 1K I will do it... possibly.

looking at youtube videos it dosent really look "all that"
amenity kit is rubbish, seats either recline a bit or full flat only.
again food dosent look amazing.
cant see out the window.
and it all looks very up close and cramped.

am I expecting too much? am I expecting Etihad style luxury and know I am not going to get it?

convince me yes or no guys
2015 residence inn seaworld
2016 Norfolk broads
2017 residence inn seaworld
peter+lynne is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I fly upper twice a year return. I never use my amenity kit and very rarely flatten my bed as I prefer the seat reclined and my feet on the stool. The food is quite good, most of the time way superior to PE but it's all down to personal preference. You can see out of the window on most seats if you turn slightly in your seat.

I love the 14 seat LGW/MAN config - it's a small cabin but IMHO does not feel cramped, more like a small private jet. The crew are usually very friendly and chatty and will try to do all they can to make you comfortable.

You will NOT experience Etihad/Emirates type luxury but I like it.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I booked PE both ways for my trip in September but have got an upgrade of £185.85 for the flight back from MCO to Gatwick. Having not flown for over 20 years I think both PE and UC will be an experience for me! I'm keeping an eye on the outbound flight and if I get a chance of an upgrade of a similar amount I'll go for it.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

If you need to analyse what UC delivers... dont do it, it will not deliver for you

Disney332
Old 23 Jun 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Adultdisneyfan
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
If you need to analyse what UC delivers... dont do it, it will not deliver for you

Disney332
Agreed - same as those who over analyse the Dining plan to seek the “best value”.
Adultdisneyfan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Adultdisneyfan View Post
Agreed - same as those who over analyse the Dining plan to seek the “best value”.
I'm with you as regards the dining plan. When I go in September I'll eat what I want to eat, whether it's the cheapest item on the menu or the most expensive. I'm not bothered about the value. I very rarely eat out at home so going to restaurants nearly every day will be an experience in itself.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by peter+lynne View Post
ok lets talk upper class.

going next sept in premium economy.
done premium a few times now.

if I can get the upgrade to upper for around 1K I will do it... possibly.

looking at youtube videos it dosent really look "all that"
cant see out the window.

am I expecting too much? am I expecting Etihad style luxury and know I am not going to get it?

convince me yes or no guys
I kinda think you’ve answered your own question really as you haven’t found a positive at all on looking at the YouTube videos. I think perhaps you would be disappointed as it’s nothing like the service on the other brands you mention. However curiosity sometimes get the better and if the money was right and your happy with the cost, go for it and give it a go 😉
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
peter+lynne
Imagineer

peter+lynne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Lovesholidays View Post
I kinda think you’ve answered your own question really as you haven’t found a positive at all on looking at the YouTube videos. I think perhaps you would be disappointed as it’s nothing like the service on the other brands you mention. However curiosity sometimes get the better and if the money was right and your happy with the cost, go for it and give it a go 😉
that's it really.
if the price is right I will do it.

cheers everyone
2015 residence inn seaworld
2016 Norfolk broads
2017 residence inn seaworld
peter+lynne is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

I flew upper class last time because I was travelling alone and it meant I wouldn't have to sit by anyone I didn't know. I loved UC, the seats are large, you can recline or lie flat, your choice. The food is much better and you can have as many drinks as you want as there is a bar at the end of the cabin. You get a tablecloth, proper cutlery, china plates etc. Breakfast is good too. You get a pair of PJ's for when you are ready to go to sleep which saves you getting off the plane in creased clothes. You also get a proper big pillow and a duvet. I slept almost all the way home, I was woken up with a fresh orange juice about an hour before we landed so that I had time to eat breakfast and change back into my clothes.
Old 24 Jun 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by peter+lynne View Post
ok lets talk upper class. Going next Sept in premium economy. Done premium a few times now. If I can get the upgrade to upper for around 1K I will do it... possibly.

Looking at youtube videos it doesn't really look "all that"
cant see out the window.

am I expecting too much? am I expecting Etihad style luxury and know I am not going to get it? Convince me yes or no guys
Hi P&L - this is strictly our own personal view, but you're right, no way is it Etihad style luxury! UC return, £850pp, for our 2015 winter stay, pre-VA's Nov 2015 changes. Good flights, canny food, excellent afternoon tea, a selection of about 4 sandwich fillings, bite sized cakes and scones with jam and cream. Return good, we can't sleep on their flat beds, way too hard, but no bother as seats are good.

2016, UC reward seats for 100k of miles plus £424 of taxes and fees. Definitely noticed a service decline, albeit slight. The, revered by many, afternoon tea had gone, crew now present packed sandwiches consisting of two fillings with scones/cakes placed on a plate and brought to you - no big deal to us, others are disappointed.

Unfortunately when we returned May 2017 service was distinctly lacking and food abysmal, some of the worst food we've seen in 20+ years of pond hopping with any airline/class. US caterers had placed totally inedible steak onboard, whilst seared tuna was frozen solid in the middle. As we'd been served last and all others had changed out their meals there was absolutely nothing for our dinner - hubs ended up with cheese and biscuits and a lettuce leaf and tomato salad was given to me. I'm convinced there was an issue with the ovens/water heater due to barely warm food and tepid tea/coffee for the whole flight, in that respect we may have swerved a bout of food poisoning.

Whilst our 2017 UC return was disappointing, VA remain our choice of airline, we reverted to PE (£687) last winters trip, both flights/service were excellent. Whilst UC is canny, it's not £2.5k canny! I'd use it again for a similar fare to the £850 paid in 2015, as that opportunity isn't likely to arise we're comfy enough in PE's 21" of seat width.

Edited at 12:22 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List