Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Dec 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Any tolls from Fort Lauderdale to Disney?

After staying 3 nights we are driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Disney, do you know if there are any tolls on this route? or is there a "best" route to go?

I've read a few threads of people having issues with tolls in Miami (cashless) so would like to avoid any problems if possible.

We are renting through Alamo.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 17, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
There is the Florida's Turnpike, but the last time we used that you could still pay in cash and sunpass was uncommon in rental cars, so I'm not sure whether it's all cashless now. It was a nice quiet road - but a bit boring. You can also use the busier I95 some of the way.

Hopefully someone will be along to help that has used this route more recently as we are planning on using it in May 2018.
Old 10 Dec 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you want to avoid tolls completely then take interstate 95 just after leaving the airport and join the 192 at Melbourne which will take you all the way to Disney. It's not a bad ride to be honest. If you want the more scenic and lots lots slower route along the coast take the 1 as you leave the airport. If avoiding the tolls the 95 and 192 is best from FLL.
I noticed on the way from Orlando most sat navs seems to take me off the Turnpike and put me on the 95 saying it is quicker.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
If you want to avoid tolls completely then take interstate 95 just after leaving the airport and join the 192 at Melbourne which will take you all the way to Disney. It's not a bad ride to be honest. If you want the more scenic and lots lots slower route along the coast take the 1 as you leave the airport. If avoiding the tolls the 95 and 192 is best from FLL.
I noticed on the way from Orlando most sat navs seems to take me off the Turnpike and put me on the 95 saying it is quicker.
We're staying in Fort Lauderdale for a few nights before driving up to Disney, but I was thinking of having an early start when we leave so we can go straight to the parks (quicker route the better ).

I'll see how we can get to I95/192 from the hotel. Thanks
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
After staying 3 nights we are driving up from Fort Lauderdale to Disney, do you know if there are any tolls on this route? or is there a "best" route to go?

I've read a few threads of people having issues with tolls in Miami (cashless) so would like to avoid any problems if possible.

We are renting through Alamo.
Is there a particular reason you don’t want to use the toll road ? Alamo are one of the best for the sunpass system. It is $3.95 for each day of usage and you can drive right through the pass lane. We used the SunPass for 2 days only, Just had the credit card bill for the journey from Orlando airport to the villa and one way to Fort Lauderdale. It was $12. The toll road is a bit boring but quick and didn’t cost very much. If it is important to you to get to Orlando early I would say it would be worth it.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Is there a particular reason you don’t want to use the toll road ? Alamo are one of the best for the sunpass system. It is $3.95 for each day of usage and you can drive right through the pass lane. We used the SunPass for 2 days only, Just had the credit card bill for the journey from Orlando airport to the villa and one way to Fort Lauderdale. It was $12. The toll road is a bit boring but quick and didn’t cost very much. If it is important to you to get to Orlando early I would say it would be worth it.
I thought you were charged daily from the first point of triggering Sunpass and as Fort Lauderdale is the beginning of our trip was thinking of avoiding a daily charge when the car will likely be sat at the hotel.

Or do they only charge if you trigger on that specific day? So if we only used tolls on the drive up that would be the only cost?
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Alamo only charge for each day the pass is used so if you only used the pass on one day you would only be charged for the one day.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Alamo only charge for each day the pass is used so if you only used the pass on one day you would only be charged for the one day.
Cool, thanks good to know.
Old 10 Dec 17, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ski
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Is there a maximum you pay for Sunpass, somewhere in the region of $20 per rental?
ski is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ski View Post
Is there a maximum you pay for Sunpass, somewhere in the region of $20 per rental?
Alamo automatically charge a $3.95 fee per day ($19.75 maximum per rental period) plus tolls.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List