Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Nov 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by electo View Post
i think they should start asking for proof before they hand out the passes
US law prevents them doing so. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) became law in 1990. The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public. It covers the fact that a disabled person cannot be asked for proof of their disability be it letters, prescriptions or whatever.

Disney prefer to use the phrase "taking people at their word". Thus abuse of the scheme still happens.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I read it as 'dont bother with all the other stuff, just mention aspergers' as well.
My ds has Sensory Processing Disorder, Hypermobility and a visual impairment but if i was going to get a pass (weve never bothered, just managed with Fast Passes) i would probably just use the SPD as the reason even though the other 2 are valid reasons.
I agree some people do blag the system but no reason to assume these people were.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by LaraB View Post
I was under the impression that in order to get such a pass, you needed a Dr's note or letter to explain the condition, rather than just being able to complete Disney's form.
Actually, it's the opposite. It's illegal for Disney to request written proof of the condition - see geoffa's post above.

Sure, that does potentially make it open to abuse. But I tend not to concern myself with the small number of people that might abuse this system and instead think of the much larger number of legitimate people that it helps.

And I'd guess there are some people who don't have a doctor's note (or similar) but still have a legitimate need for the DAS.

Originally Posted by bloominadversit View Post
Obviously we can’t read tone on here, but is there a chance their son has complex or poorly defined needs and Aspergers is the easiest way to describe hence the wording?
I was thinking the same thing. It might just have been easier to say the son had Aspergers (which people have heard about) rather than trying to explain the rarer, more specific condition he has (which people probably haven't heard about).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Two interpretations ..
1 "Just say he's got Aspergers". Scumbag Father

2 "Just say he has got Aspergers "..and don't worry about adding he also has other issues like dyspraxia, epilepsy etc (just trying to keep things simple)

I intensely dislike the assumptions self righteous but clueless people can make about my son's disabilities . Yes there are scumbags around but there's also parents working hard to do the best for their kids who get "called out" unfairly. It's both offensive and upsetting when it happens and I've learned not to ignore it but firmly and loudly correct such ignorance <end rant>
It's people like me who stand up for your rights and my rights, yes I'm disabled too and my DD has special needs so we BOTH have invisible illnesses.

I have no regrets calling out a man who parked in a disabled spot and RAN into the Post Office. I have no regrets telling a security van to get out of a disabled bay so I could use it. I have no regrets telling a man parked in a disabled bay with no ticket carrying a huge case of beer to his car that he is disgusting. .

I am sticking up for our rights and will not stop. I do not however assume or tackle people who may have an invisible disability. But those who make it harder for us will get called out. You call it self righteous cluelessness, I call it having the balls to actually do something about it. So rant away.

Oh and it was the group I belong to Crohns and Colitis Awareness that got supermarkets to put those signs up n the toilet doors, you know the ones... not all disabilities are visible, so clueless is not me by any means, but keep my mouth shut no can do. And you're welcome.

Edited at 02:20 PM.
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The "keep it simple" explanation makes far more sense in the context the family were already in the queue for guest services.
Some people will always assume the worst of others, says more about them than the people they are moaning about.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MJ6987
Very Serious Dibber

The "keep it simple" explanation makes far more sense in the context the family were already in the queue for guest services.
Some people will always assume the worst of others, says more about them than the people they are moaning about.
Yeah, exactly. Why would the queue up and then start concocting a story?
MJ6987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

People will assume they know other people just by the internet. When in fact they are the clueless ones.
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FairyNuff View Post
I am sticking up for our rights and will not stop. I do not however assume or tackle people who may have an invisible disability. But those who make it harder for us will get called out. You call it self righteous cluelessness, I call it having the balls to actually do something about it. So rant away.
So how do you know if someone has an invisible disability just by looking at them ? You're making a judgement based on your own opinions which aren't fully informed. They can't be if these people you want to confront so readily are strangers. Clue is in the wording "invisible". <sigh>

I can usually identify autism even in it's milder forms to the point people are surprised that I knew without been told but other invisible disabilities I may not pick up on . I certainly don't claim I can be certain who is a scumbag and who is a genuine case just by looking at them. I'm intrigued that you believe you can with such certainty that you'd be happy to confront them. That's an awful lot of hurt caused if you get it wrong

Edited at 02:32 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
Yeah, exactly. Why would the queue up and then start concocting a story?
Some people do actually do this because they don't want to spend two hours waiting in line for a five minute ride. All those rides all that waiting time you do the math.
Old 22 Nov 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post

So how do you know if someone has an invisible disability just by looking at them ? You're making a judgement based on your own opinions which aren't fully informed. They can't be if these people you want to confront so readily are strangers. Clue is in the wording "invisible". <sigh>
The man who jogged into the PO admitted it, I always ask first sigh.

The security van driver was not disabled I asked first sigh.

I always check first sigh.