Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 18, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
animal 1970
Dibbing with Tink

flying ba

someone please put my mind at rest we are flying ba on 20/10 lhr to chicargo to orlando 2 hour lay over in chicargo i keep hearing how bad ba are to fly with ie scruffy planes grumpy cabin crew cold aircraft the other questin is will 2 hours in chicargo be enough as you can tell we always fly direct
animal 1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

I fly BA as much as I can and have never had any issues regarding the points you’ve raised. Remember though, we only really hear about people’s bad experiences rather than the good, potentials there may be one bad comment but on the other hand there may be 1000 people that found it to be fine but didn’t speak up.

As for the lay over, as long as you’re checked in all the way through you’ll be fine.

Above all, just focus on the holiday rather than the flights.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

We’ve flown BA several times and have never had any issues. We preferred the flight to Virgin. I don’t remember it being cold on the plane (it would have been either April, Sept or Oct because that’s when we go). I do remember the cabin crew were lovely and more mature. We would definitely fly with them again if the price was right. Virgin? No thanks!
Old 16 Jan 18, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We've flown with a lot of airlines and to be honest BA is at the bottom of the list. Nothing particularly bad, but generally find the level of service from the American carriers - Delta, AA, United & US (as they used to be) is better. Swiss was way out in front (and not only down to the fantastic icecream) and Austrian had the nicest planes.

All planes can be a bit draughty and chilly at times - they can also be warm and stuffy. We always wear layers and a fleece so can adjust, and you always get a little blanket that I often wear as a shawl. It's only a few hours anyway - you'll be fine.

I'm sure 2 hours in Chicago will be plenty - make sure you go to the loo on the plane half an hour before landing, then keep walking to immigration - no bathroom stops or dawdling. IIRC at Chicago we changed terminals by leaving one building and into another which was nice because there was a bit of fresh air and a nice (short) walk.

Edited at 09:20 AM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Always fly with BA, both long haul and short haul because generally for the prices they offer on the dates we want to go they always come out cheaper.

Yeah the planes arent brand new inside, the IFE isn't state of the art but it is fully functional and serves a purpose, the seats are comfy enough and he crew are always polite and efficient, which in all honestly, that's all
I want/need with a crew, I don't want/need long conversations, I want to stick my headphones on an chill lol. As long as they respond when needed, bring drinks round and have a friendly smile, that's all I want. It's hours in a metal tube that I would rather not spend my time in but to get me on holiday it's a small part of the actual holiday. Ba's larger than average fleet and good safety record also puts them out in front. If other airlines came out cheaper for our dates I would use them.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by animal 1970 View Post
someone please put my mind at rest we are flying ba on 20/10 lhr to chicargo to orlando 2 hour lay over in chicargo i keep hearing how bad ba are to fly with ie scruffy planes grumpy cabin crew cold aircraft the other questin is will 2 hours in chicargo be enough as you can tell we always fly direct
Do you know what type of plane it is? (747,777 A300 etc)

are you sure its not a codeshare on American?
What is the flight number?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

BA are fine. Norwegian, for example, might have newer planes with bigger TV screens, but you will survive just fine with BA

The service is ok, the seats are comfy enough, and you do get blankets etc which you don't always on the lower cost ones.

Even if it does turn out to be awful just remember it's only for a few hours and that you are British and can quietly suffer
Old 16 Jan 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Im so glad you posted this, i too am flying BA and keep reading things and panicking a little bit! Its booked, there's nothing i can do now, there is no way i can afford to book PE so I am just going to concentrate on the holiday now, i have only flown long haul once (Virgin 2004) and so have no real comparison anyway, its only 9h 50 mins
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Another BA fan. I've yet to travel on any scruffy plane in their fleet. Why people (not you OP) expect airlines to have new planes every five minutes I don't know. They cost a fortune. They get refurbed when it's required.
Crew wise - I can remember loads of times when we have had belly laughs with some of them. They are always pleasant and will go that extra mile if they are asked nicely. I can't compare with American airlines as I've never used them but for me BA are consistently a good way to travel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

BA'S 777-200 fleet on the "bucket and spade" route direct from Gatwick to Orlando/Tampa is the "scruffy" fleet you probably read of. And its true the interiors look tired and IFE is not the best. But on the plus side, there is decent space.

At present, BA is refurbing all Gatwick and then Heathrow-based 777-200s over an 18 month period. Seat plans on BAs website for refurbed aircraft will show 10 seats across in World Traveller. Existing interiors are 9 across.

But as someone else said. Check whether you ARE on a BA aircraft and not a codeshare. And if not, it should still be easy enough to find out what aircraft you are travelling on.

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List