Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 18, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Decks09
Very Serious Dibber

Free Disney Dining

Do prices go up when free DD is available?
Is it worth it.
Decks09 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We booked in September and for free QSDP for 3

Same package now would could £550 more (that’s with free nights offer)

So for us, it was well worth booking then
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mycaseispacked
Getting Excited

Mobile

I tracked prices this time last year, and for our stay at Port Orleans this August the price was exactly the same on the Disney website before free dining and during. Seemed genuinely free to me!
Mycaseispacked is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
adambaz
Proud to wear my Ears

AKL is now £434 cheaper compared to what it was when we booked.

Considering we have 2 Adults and 2 Children on with Free Disney Dining (with a value of £1,931.44) - I can live with that.
adambaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mycaseispacked View Post
I tracked prices this time last year, and for our stay at Port Orleans this August the price was exactly the same on the Disney website before free dining and during. Seemed genuinely free to me!
well if you managed to bag the $200 gift card on top of that, it was not only genuinely free to you ... you got paid $200 to book it :p
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mycaseispacked
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
well if you managed to bag the $200 gift card on top of that, it was not only genuinely free to you ... you got paid $200 to book it :p
I keep forgetting about that, you’re right! 😀. And with 5 in a room, free QSDP is worth £1800 or so I think so a great deal! We upgraded to DDP for just under £600 (for 13 nights, three adults two children).
Mycaseispacked is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

No they do not go up due to free dining. Some even go down, OKW and SSR have typically offered good room discounts (20-40%) on top of the free dining deal.

As for whether it's worth it, there's no single right answer. All depends on what room/resort category you're staying in, how many of you there are, how many meals you intend to eat on site, etc. Typically, for a family of 3-5 staying 2 weeks in a moderate or lower tier deluxe, it's almost always the best deal going.

But to use my own booking as example... as a couple staying at a higher tier deluxe, it would have been cheaper to rent points at BCV and pay for dining instead of booking free dining at B&YC. However, we prefer the resort side (specifically YC) out of the three properties, so it didn't come down purely to money. However free dining was better value than the free nights offer that followed later, as B&YC were only on 1 free night per week. The savings for this was considerably less than the dining plan for a week. When we were considering SSR though, free dining worked out better than points rental due to the discount already mentioned.

My advice is always to price up the holiday prior to the offer coming out, then you know if it's a genuinely good deal.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Generally depends how many are in the room. For two I’ve found deluxe rooms without free dinning but with free nights cheaper and when taking spending money to match the free dining cost about a break even or a couple of hundred cheaper but in a deluxe not a moderate resort. The more in a room, the better the deal free dining is likely to be. Increase that value if there are more over 10’s in the room.
Old 19 Jan 18, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
TICH1952
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I booked last year for this August and got the $200 with the free QSDP at POR. We do this each time we go and found it saves us quite a bit of money.

TICH1952 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

we didn't book until the very end of free dp offer so no gift card for us (plan was to save for 2019), it's now 2 nights free (approx. £336 cheaper) and tickets are £150 cheaper however no availability for a family of 5 for our dates at CBR (cheapest option now is Cabins at FW) and qsdp would cost £1759!
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List