Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 8 Aug 18, 02:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Hi all.

We are currently in Naples and have seen red tide warnings up by the pier. However, we saw fish teeming round the pier itself and people were fishing there too.

The water is definitely murkier than last year but we’ve not seen any other symptoms of red tide. I suffer from mild asthma and eczema/very sensitive skin and I was worried about swimming in the sea. However, I’ve had a couple of swims and sat by the ocean all day with no ill effects so far.

However, the staff at the hotel we are staying at said it has calmed down in the area we are at and said two weeks ago the sea was the colour of ‘iced tea’ and everyone was coughing ...

Everyone is taking about it - I went to the front desk today to sort an internet issue out the only phone calls they were getting were asking about red tide.

Current warnings in place:

Edited at 06:49 AM.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leyfy View Post
Hi all.

We are currently in Naples and have seen red tide warnings up by the pier. However, we saw fish teeming round the pier itself and people were fishing there too.

The water is definitely murkier than last year but we’ve not seen any other symptoms of red tide. I suffer from mild asthma and eczema/very sensitive skin and I was worried about swimming in the sea. However, I’ve had a couple of swims and sat by the ocean all day with no ill effects so far.

However, the staff at the hotel we are staying at said it has calmed down in the area we are at and said two weeks ago the sea was the colour of ‘iced tea’ and everyone was coughing ...

Everyone is taking about it - I went to the front desk today to sort an internet issue out the only phone calls they were getting were asking about red tide.
Leyfy, I'm pleased to read you're having a good time My convo's/info is via our island (Pine Island) friends, plus monitoring the South Florida Clean Water Movement on FB. They were beginning to relax a tad but are ticked that the Corps opened the gate again on Monday, whilst they appreciate Lake O cannot be allowed to flood they're dreading the fall-out from releases beginning again. If possible, I'll research Lake O upcoming releases.
Old 8 Aug 18, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We have just got back today. Week in Orlando and a week near Venice.

Beaches were closed from Tampa down to Fort Myers. We found that Naples beach was open and spent a day on the beach there. Had never heard of Red Tide before. We visited Boca Grande as we usually have a day there and paid the toll to get on to the island. The toll booth didn't say Red Tide was there so we kind of wasted a day to get there. The smell was horrible and the sight of all the dead fish, big and small was upsetting.

From what locals told us it can happen between Oct and Feb but has never lasted this long. We had days planned on the beach and boat hiring but couldn't do it. Going on to the beach made us cough and eyes itch from the algae.

We visited Fort Myers and they had diggers and refuge skips on the beach and were clearing it daily but not sure how long it would take for the dead fish to finish washing up on shore with the tide.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Leyfy - we went tot Naples on Sunday and the water was a funny cloudier colour but we swam in it. We did make sure we showered when we got back to the villa. There were fish in the sea, and the beach was surprisingly quieter than normal for a Sunday. Feel sorry for the local businesses that depend on fishing trips and boat hire to make a living.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
We have just got back today. Week in Orlando and a week near Venice.

Beaches were closed from Tampa down to Fort Myers. We found that Naples beach was open and spent a day on the beach there. Had never heard of Red Tide before. We visited Boca Grande as we usually have a day there and paid the toll to get on to the island. The toll booth didn't say Red Tide was there so we kind of wasted a day to get there. The smell was horrible and the sight of all the dead fish, big and small was upsetting.

From what locals told us it can happen between Oct and Feb but has never lasted this long. We had days planned on the beach and boat hiring but couldn't do it. Going on to the beach made us cough and eyes itch from the algae.

We visited Fort Myers and they had diggers and refuge skips on the beach and were clearing it daily but not sure how long it would take for the dead fish to finish washing up on shore with the tide.
Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Leyfy - we went to Naples on Sunday and the water was a funny cloudier colour but we swam in it. We did make sure we showered when we got back to the villa. There were fish in the sea, and the beach was surprisingly quieter than normal for a Sunday. Feel sorry for the local businesses that depend on fishing trips and boat hire to make a living.
I'm glad you were ok after being in the water, had I known beforehand I'd have been a nag and asked you not to go in the water, pleased you're been ok

Aye, chances of red tide usually (nowt usual about this year!) run Oct to Feb, but this year it's been a constant 10 months so far.

SW Fl (Boca, Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Pine Island et al) was hit hard due to the Caloosahatchee route. The toxins flowed down/up to Naples, Sarasota and surrounding areas. Initially the beach clean up involved hoying the dead sealife back into the sea, but they quickly decided this wasn't a good idea and apparently clean-up crews, wearing full on toxic suits with face masks, are/were working. Various locals had asked where/how the dead sealife was to be disposed of, none received an answer, the workers walked away.

Islanders are now watching the recent/future discharge for signs of toxins.
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We are due to go to Rotonda West at the same time. Reports are saying that its starting to clear around Manasota Key.
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
We are due to go to Rotonda West at the same time. Reports are saying that its starting to clear around Manasota Key.
Apparently it is/was beginning to clear 7Seas, hoping it'll continue so, but it may be dependant on number of times the Army Corps discharge.
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

According to the AMI Facebook group I follow, it is beginning to clear around the island and is getting better by the day. We arrive on the 20th and I have both fingers and toes crossed its gone by then. We'll still have an amazing time regardless but this has put a dampener on our excitement levels leading up to the holiday

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jengibbo
Excited about Disney

Hi,
We got back from Rotunda West yesterday. On Friday evening we went to Venice beach and walked along the pier the beach had a couple of dead fish but no smell. Then on Sunday we went to Manasota beach in Englewood and it seemed fine. Water was a bit greener rather than clear but no smell at all. It was a shame that this was our last day and we hadn’t been able to visit earlier. Here are a few pictures I took. I hope it remains clear so people will begin to return.

Jennifer
jengibbo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
choccyface
Excited about Disney

We are in naples now. We went on the beach again yesterday (near 7th ave entrance) and we had no effects of red tide. The sea was too choppy for the kids to play in tho!
Went for a walk along the pier last night, plenty of people fishing and swimming in the sea.

Today we had a ride out to Bonita to have a look around - the web page ive been following said it was fine, however the smell was awful when we got out the car and looked on the beach and we immediately started coughing. There were a few people on the beach, didnt see any dead fish but didnt stay long enough to look properly!

Drove further along to fort myers - am guessing it was wiped out by Irma as there is alot of building work going on - not many people knocking about.

Last full day tmoz - plan is to go back to naples beach where we’ve been the past couple of times.

Thinking of coming back again next summer, but wondering if red tide going to be an annual occurrence now? Or do we go miami side... decisions, decisions!
choccyface is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List