Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 08, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Key West or Key Largo?

We fancy taking an overnight trip down to the Keys on our next holiday as we've never been to this area in our eight Florida holidays.

How long is the drive to Key West and Key Largo from Orlando?

Which is nicer to stay at?

Is there plenty to see/do?

Does anyone have any hotel/dining recommendations?

Thanksalot

Giggly
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 08, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Its a jolly long way to go down for just an overnight stay... is it possible to make it at least 2 nights? i havent been to Key largo... but think its very quiet in comparision to Key West...or why not stay somewhere in the middle...cant recommend anywhere to stay as I stayed at Islamorada which is half way down, but sure someone else will be able to advise you on alternative accomodation in Key West.
Old 25 May 08, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post

Hey Giggly

Like little monkey says - its a long way (we flew into miami and then drove to Tavernier - which is the next key from key lago) the drive to key west also takes its time (100ish miles) and the 1 is prety much a single lane road.
I thought key west ws really expensive (hence staying north), but there wasnt as much to do where we stayed.
If you do go - more than 1 night and i would research what you want to do/see and how much $$$ it will cost you
Hope this helps
Phil
Old 27 May 08, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

I agree with the previous posts it's a very long way for one night, by the time you get there it will be time to set off back. It will be a good 4 - 5 hours drive.

We stayed at the Chesapeake Resort in Islamorada which gave a good base to get to Key West (overrated IMHO) as well as the Dolphin Research Centre, Theatre of the Seas etc.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 08, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post

We knew it would be a long drive but thought we would set off around 6am to get there before lunch. Have all afternoon, evening and stay over and then the whole of next day until around 3-4pm when we would set off back.

Maybe it would be a bit much but we've done the same here but to scotland in a weekend and that took over 6 hrs there and back.

Giggly
Old 27 May 08, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Another one who stayed at Islamorada - Cheeca Lodge and it was an ideal base, halfway down the Keys.
I liked Key West - very kitsch but things to do.
Key Largo IMHO was a complete dump! We only drove through it mind, but it was quite busy and dominated by a road and massive advertising boards! (think the roads from the airport to WDW only many many more)

I was quite disappointed in the Keys, great if you are into fishing and diving but not really scenic and not much to do - just my opinion.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 06:48 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 08, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bob_day69
Excited about Disney

According to google Orlando to Key West is :-

394 mi – about 6 hours 57 mins
Old 27 May 08, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I think its too far to waste time going too. We have been to the Keys but did it on a roadtrip hol.
We flew to Miami, stayed 1 night Fort Lauderdale, 3 nights Orlando, 7 nights Port Charlotte, 2 nights Key West, 1 night Miami.
Even from Miami it is over 2 hours to Key West. As Miami is approx 4 hours from Orlando, that adds up to a long trip.
The Keys are lovely but I wouldnt waste 2 days out of a stay in Orlando.
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 08, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post

I have always wanted to dive in the keys but it's just a bit too far for me to justify the trip out there.

I may try to fit it in next time if I go for 3 weeks
Old 28 May 08, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post

We had 6 nights in the Keys back in 2005. It took 5 hours to drive from Orlando to Key Largo. Key West was 2 hours further from Key Largo.

Driving times are very hard to gauge when in the Keys because it is just one single lane for most of the time. You get stuck behind a truck or a slow RV or something and it will take a long while.

Key Largo is not a dump. In fact Key Largo has the jewel of the Keys in the John Pennekamp Stake Park (diving, fishing, swimming, glass bottom boat rides to coral reefs, kayaking etc). It is well worth a visit, and will take up most of the day. In fairness there isn't that much more to do in Key Largo besides fishing and diving, although the Hilton Beach Resort does have watersports on offer. Further north in Homestead or Florida City you could do an airboat ride.

Key West is a lovely city. Plenty to do, visit Mallory Square, Ernest Hemingways House, do a trolley tour, jetski... lots do do, and then in the evening hit the bars and restaurants along Duval Street, most with live bands performing.

The Keys are well worth a visit, but on a day trip from Orlando it's just not feasible. I think a minimum of three days is needed, one for the Upper and Mid Keys (including John Pennekamp) and then 2 days in Key West.

As an alternative, how about St Augustine for a day trip or an overnight? Heard very good things, apparently up there with Savannah (we have visited, it is magical) and Charleston.
Closed Thread