Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 17 May 04, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Did this over Easter. Fantastic must do and without a doubt the highlight of your holiday.

I am not a string swimmer and still do not have the confidence to go out of my depth (1.8m at the local pool in the UK, and then I have to stick to the edge). But at Discovery Cove the depth was not a problem... Stick to the edges of the lazy river and there are plenty of places in when it goes to about 12foot to stand in the water and adjust the snorkals... In fact my son who has just gained his 10m swimming certificate moaned that I kept stopping!

In the lagoon I was so amazed at the stingray and whilst swimming in the deepest section I just floated and watched on swim under me, forgetting the snorkel which promptley filled up with water so I started breathing water! Quick panic attack but then I though stop breathing make it to the edge and you will be fine, which I did... Then got my breadth back and headed off to the sharks.

My brother in law is a life guard and was seriously impressed with the number of lifeguards, (approx one every 10m).

The trainer asked if we were strong swimmers and only 3 of the 8 of us was. They did their dolpin swim first, I went next and the trainer swam next to me just in case. I was told at the deepest point to hold on to him if I needed to. I wasnot wearing a life jacket and had no problems... My mother in law was next. She has a real fobia about deep water and swam out with the aid of the trainer. She will not go in such depths (or even a quarter of them in the UK but the dolphins are such an experiance that she totaly overcame her fear on this occasion. Lastly was my oldest son who was also helped by the trainers.

That only leaves the two youngest members of our group and they were pulled along in shallow water.

Have no fears about cold, depth, or anything about your day.
... IT WILL BE THE BEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 04, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post

We did our Discovery Cove day in early September and the water in the Dolphin lagoon was FFFFFFFFreezing! I enjoyed it so much but the cold was quite a shock Perhaps Im just a WUSS.

The depth was generally not a worry anywhere in the park as the flotation vest helps and its great to just drift along watching the fish and rays pass beneath you. I was slightly alarmed at one point to see a huge barracuda in the water nearby. I popped up out of the water and shouted to Kim, "Bl**dy Hell look at this thing" at which point she laughed and pointed out that it was behind a large glass underwater wall... Phew!

What a great day we had which was sadly cut short at about 3pm by a thunderstorm, we waited about an hour before deciding to call it a day. I was also upset to lose my souvenir neck pass somehwhere on the way out.

Steve
Old 27 May 04, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Does anyone know if the temperature of the water warms up significantly in the summer? Or is it controlled to the same "cold" temperature?
Old 27 May 04, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

I would imagine the water will actually feel colder in summer as it will be so hot- doesn't water always feels colder on a hot day.

Zoe- it sounds like you are worrying too much about the water temperature- believe me you'll forget whether it's warm or cold when you get in with the dolphins.

If it is really bothering you why not email DC.
Anne is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 04, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Re: How deep is the water at Discovery Cove?

Originally posted by 2BoysMum&Dad
We are doing the "swim with dolphins" at Discovery Cove in August. Although we can all swim, our two boys are not very strong swimmers.

How deep is the water when you do the "swim with dolphins"? My boys are aged (will be) 8 and 11.

Zoe.
We went last September and I was worried about exactly the same thing. You will find that 90% of guests wear floatation vest anyway (which I did all day)

Please don't worry, if they have a vest on they'll be absolutely fine!
Old 27 May 04, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by 2BoysMum&Dad
Does anyone know if the temperature of the water warms up significantly in the summer? Or is it controlled to the same "cold" temperature?
The temp is controlled year round, it has to be for the fish/dolphins/rays etc, they are the priority after all

The Dolphin enclosure is very cold.

The Tropical Lagoon (where the rays and tropical fish are) is a little bit warmer

By far the by far the warmest is the Lazy River (can't remember the correct name) it's like being in a lovely warn bath tub... NICE!

Don't forget to feed the birds in the enclosed avairy... wonderful!

This is the most special day I have ever spent in Orlando and will definitely go again!
Old 1 Jun 04, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

I am definitely feeling better about the trip now! My free promotional video arrived the other day which shows details of DC, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Adventure Island. Really looks great. Thanks for all your advice. I will be making a note of those names Wendy to take with me!
Old 1 Jun 04, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread