Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 15, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

The Decline of the 192

Since I started going Florida 1996 ish i remember how alive highway 192 was and it was my best memory of Florida, loved all the tacky gift shops, themed buildings etc but th last few times I've been, post recession, it's looking quite sorry for itself.

I haven't been for a couple of years but I remember it looking quite depressing, the castle (not medieval times) was shut down and being advertised as a potential nightclub, Xanadu (home of the future) was one of my favourite places to look at, south beach Orlando apartments (which they are now doing up!) and various other random place Fawlty Towers, themed shops etc.

Does anyone know if there's any plans going ahead for any revival of the buildings on this road? Or any news of places that have shut down recently. I'm going this November and excited to see if anything has changed etc.

Edited at 04:22 PM.
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post

I know what you mean, it's sad to see isn't it, it once was so vibrant.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

If anything some buildings are better and some worse, Faulty Towers is also closed, the "Castle" is still up for sale and the resort next to the lake (coloured buildings) looks really tired as it's been empty for years

That said there is a Wawa, Chick Fill A and an Aldi opened up next to Wallmart and also a couple of BBQ eating places. Some of the gift shops have closed an re-opened as ... gift shops. The Outlet at Siesta Lago (can't remember its proper name but its next to Rack Room shoes) has good bargains at Bealls and Nike from time to time.

Tired yes but it's not done yet, not by a long shot.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
goldenoldie
Imagineer

Definitely the 192 East looks quite rundown lots of empty places , we stay west on of the 192 , a lot of new places being built hotels etc ,we stay there mainly because we stay at highlands reserve
goldenoldie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

I seen the Aldi being built/or maybe it was built when I was there at the end of 2013. We stay at Indian Point/Lake Berkley normally which is right behind the WAL MART
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
When we were there last year, the restaurants and shops apparently are all suffering (According to someone we spoke to) because of the DP at Disney. People will go and not even venture out of Disney, no hire car etc. (We have been guilty of this as well), its just to convenient to have it all around you. Maybe go to the shops etc. So this year, although on site, we are going to eat out at other restaurants, not on the 192 but at the crossroads etc. even though we have the QSDP. We do love Dennys for brekkie and Olive garden so will defo be doing them.
But think this may be some of the reason that its a bit drab round there, no money being spent outside of Disney.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aearin View Post
I seen the Aldi being built/or maybe it was built when I was there at the end of 2013. We stay at Indian Point/Lake Berkley normally which is right behind the WAL MART
All open now, Wawa on the same side of 192 but across the road.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
When we were there last year, the restaurants and shops apparently are all suffering (According to someone we spoke to) because of the DP at Disney. People will go and not even venture out of Disney, no hire car etc. (We have been guilty of this as well), its just to convenient to have it all around you. Maybe go to the shops etc. So this year, although on site, we are going to eat out at other restaurants, not on the 192 but at the crossroads etc. even though we have the QSDP. We do love Dennys for brekkie and Olive garden so will defo be doing them.
But think this may be some of the reason that its a bit drab round there, no money being spent outside of Disney.
Very good point about Disney and Disney guests, why would you go off site when you already have a good choice that you have already paid for.

Going way back some of the communities to the east of Poinciana on 192 (east of the big Orange) were the modern communities and the place to stay (Chatham Park, Indian Point etc). Whereas now you have HR, Linfields, Champions Gates etc which have more modern homes, 192 at Formosa Gardens is what the east side of 192 used to be like.
Old 24 Aug 15, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

I've never heard of Wawa before, I just checked the menu it looks pretty good I'll have to try it out.

I've never stayed at Disney it's always villas but I love Denny's/ihop etc, I think even if I stayed on site is be venturing out every day to find one
Old 24 Aug 15, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aearin View Post
I've never heard of Wawa before, I just checked the menu it looks pretty good I'll have to try it out.

I've never stayed at Disney it's always villas but I love Denny's/ihop etc, I think even if I stayed on site is be venturing out every day to find one
It is pretty good but bear in mind it is just a petrol station
Closed Thread