juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks Julia!
The BA site drives me bonkers, I can’t believe how bad it is and how it’s not fixed yet!
We’re looking forward to staying at the Columbus, not the most glamorous is it but the location looks perfect!
Monterey is eye wateringly expensive, especially as we wanted 2 bedrooms. Where have you ended up booking?
Hi, so sorry for not replying earlier!

We've booked the Quality Inn Monterey. Nothing special but it was the cheapest I could find!

Hope the planning's going well, not long now
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
GandL
Having Dinner with Goofy

Just re-read this all over again for pure excitement purposes.

Your trip sounds absolutely insane, sending to my husband right now so we can steal all of your ideas haha!

Cannot wait for the trip report.

Grace
GandL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Sounds amazing! Looking forward to reading your trippy.
KayLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GandL View Post
Just re-read this all over again for pure excitement purposes.

Your trip sounds absolutely insane, sending to my husband right now so we can steal all of your ideas haha!

Cannot wait for the trip report.

Grace
Thank you for reading Grace. It will be your turn before you know it

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
Sounds amazing! Looking forward to reading your trippy.
I really hope it will be, thank you for reading!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

So we are nearly down to single digits, I can't believe how quickly it has come around

Lots to update you with - first up we have upgraded our car. We had originally booked a VW Jetta or similar but there was no chance of getting all of our luggage in so in April we upgraded to a Ford Edge or similar at a cost of £220. We were still concerned about getting all the luggage and golf clubs in so last week I called BA and have upgraded again to a Ford Explorer for the grand total of £2. Bargain! Really hoping we get a cheeky upgrade at the airport to my favourite Chevy Tahoe but if not this class should be plenty big enough.

I have also booked all of our excursions for both families which is very exciting.
We have got bike hire with Blazing Saddles for our first morning in San Francisco. This was booked through Groupon. That evening we have got tickets for Alcatraz on the 6.30pm ferry, these were booked with Alcatraz Cruises.
Whilst in Monterey we'll be going Whale Watching with Princess Monterey, this is booked for our first morning there at 9am.
We have also booked a Warner Bros studio tour for our last morning in LA. I'm super excited about this as they have just added some sets from The Big Bang Theory as well as from Friends.
We really want to try surfing for when we are in Oceanside but haven't booked it yet, may wait until we are there as there are plenty of schools to choose from.
For our last night of the holiday whilst in Yosemite I have booked a Starry Night Tour. This is only an hour but sounds amazing, with hopefully a Milky Way sighting and some shooting stars it should be a magical way of ending an epic holiday!

Costings
Thought it may help others planning a California trip if I outline all of our costs of this holiday so far. This is based on a family of 4

Flights/car - £3148

San Francisco
Columbus Motor Inn - $992.78
Bike Hire - $72
Alcatraz - $187.10

Monterey
Airbnb - £808.06
Whale Watching - $200

Solvang
Svensgaard Inn - $125.62

Los Angeles
Apartment - $402
Warner Bros Studio Tour - $276

Buena Park
Radisson Suites - £259
Knotts Berry Farm - $228.99 but not yet booked
California Adventure - $447 (3 of us) but not yet booked

Oceanside
Apartment - $1392.25
Surfing - $120 but not yet booked

Bakersfield
Whispering Meadows hotel - £135

Yosemite
Half Dome Village camping - $557.37
Starry Night Tour - $40

With the exchange rate of around $1.25 the total cost is
£5234.95
It's actually come in at slightly less than what I originally expected which is always a pleasant surprise
We normally aim for £1000 per week spending money but I will do a detailed list of our spends once we return so I'll let you know if we manage to stick to this. The crappy exchange rate is not helping matters!

The cases are down from the loft so hoping to start packing this weekend. Work is ridiculously busy for me in the lead up to a holiday so trying to do as much as I can now.

I think that's about it for now, thank you to everyone that's read and commented. I'll try and get the report up as quickly as I can once home.

See you on the other side

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 7 Jul 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, not long now for you. Have fun packing and sorting out your last bits. I hope you have a fabulous holiday. I can't wait to read all about it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am really looking forward to your trip report on this one.

I like the way that you have explained the ‘mechanics’ of your trip, the ‘what’s’ , the ‘why’s’ and the ‘how’s’. It is clear that a great deal of thought (even by the standards required for a California vacation) has gone into this and I am fascinated as to how it will pan out.

I also really like the way that your pre trippy is about yourselves and your ambitions, rather than just loads of food stuff.

Are you going to do it ‘live’, as much as possible?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:45 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Not long to go now. Looking forward to reading along. We did a similar trip last year so will be nice to revisit
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Eeeep it’s nearly here !
Plans looking good . Can’t wait to read all about it x
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List