Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Aug 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Distancing this weekend BA and LNER

I’ve been pretty cautious with my social distancing but had to go up to Newcastle on a family matter at very short notice so flew up and got the train back .
Heathrow T5 looked pretty busy early morning but was mainly bag drop. Security took less than ten minutes.

Plane was an airbus I think ... some kind of retro branding going on with the paint job , blast from the past !

We were bussed to the plane but not as crammed as usual . Seating was 3x3 each party was given a row so great distancing. No hot drinks on board just water and a snack bag . We were told no queuing for the loo . Masks to be worn except when eating or drinking.

Newcastle airport was tumbleweed time , looked like we were the only flight in , desolate for August.
Brother usually works at the airport but is currently seconded elsewhere so no airport ID and he was highly unimpressed at £6 pick up charge !
In general people in Newcastle seem to handle distancing far better than those in Kent , even in the city centre I felt comfortable .

Coming back by train I booked first class to ensure distancing. May as well have saved my money as someone was already in my seat, no point in getting them to move as the point is they sanitise seats before each journey. Again parties were kept separate , I first moved to the only separate seat but as a single wasn’t distanced and eventually moved to a different carriage. Checking tickets , let alone reservations didn’t happen . Definitely good ideas but lost something in execution ! Equally uninspired snacks (free in First) but they did have coffee (yay)

Hopefully this will help someone thinking about travelling.

Overall though the whole travelling experience was less stressful than I feared !

Edited at 02:36 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

If they were in my seat I’d’ve shifted them. Rightly or wrongly I’m not so concerned about the distancing as I’ve had it but in any circs they’d be told to move. You are clearly more tolerant than I would be.
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
If they were in my seat I’d’ve shifted them. Rightly or wrongly I’m not so concerned about the distancing as I’ve had it but in any circs they’d be told to move. You are clearly more tolerant than I would be.
Usually I would , seat poaching presses my buttons but from a sanitation point of view they’d already put their hands everywhere so it didn’t make sense to move them as if they did have the virus I’d get it too as the train surfaces are all wiped down and sanitised. It was safer to sit in a seat no one else had occupied.
I’m not as convinced as you that I’ve already had it and wouldn’t want to bring it home to my family.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I’ve been pretty cautious with my social distancing but had to go up to Newcastle on a family matter at very short notice so flew up and got the train back .
Heathrow T5 looked pretty busy early morning but was mainly bag drop. Security took less than ten minutes.

Plane was an airbus I think ... some kind of retro branding going on with the paint job , blast from the past !

We were bussed to the plane but not as crammed as usual . Seating was 3x3 each party was given a row so great distancing. No hot drinks on board just water and a snack bag . We were told no queuing for the loo . Masks to be worn except when eating or drinking.

Newcastle airport was tumbleweed time , looked like we were the only flight in , desolate for August.
Brother usually works at the airport but is currently seconded elsewhere so no airport ID and he was highly unimpressed at £6 pick up charge !
In general people in Newcastle seem to handle distancing far better than those in Kent , even in the city centre I felt comfortable .

Coming back by train I booked first class to ensure distancing. May as well have saved my money as someone was already in my seat, no point in getting them to move as the point is they sanitise seats before each journey. Again parties were kept separate , I first moved to the only separate seat but as a single wasn’t distanced and eventually moved to a different carriage. Checking tickets , let alone reservations didn’t happen . Definitely good ideas but lost something in execution ! Equally uninspired snacks (free in First) but they did have coffee (yay)

Hopefully this will help someone thinking about travelling.

Overall though the whole travelling experience was less stressful than I feared !
If your brother works at the airport I am really surprised he didn't know about the pick up charges - at £6 it sounds like he parked in the minibus/van parking area for up to 30 minutes - the Express car NCL posh name for drop off) is up to 10 mins for £3 and 10-30 mins £5. They announced the "necessary" increases in the middle of lockdown whilst making 34 full time members of staff redundant in a disgraceful manner.

Just for future reference there is a free pick up and drop off area in the Short stay 2 car park a couple of minutes walk from the terminal - up to 15 minutes free with no return.

The move to increase the parking wasn't at all popular with the locals needless to say.

Love the fact you travelled on the BEA retro livery - BA painted 3, sadly now retired, 747's in other retro liveries too and I loved spotting them on my travels (when I could travel that is).

flightglobal/strateg...131651.article

Edited at 05:39 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Love the fact you travelled on the BEA retro livery - BA painted 3, sadly now retired, 747's in other retro liveries too and I loved spotting them on my travels (when I could travel that is).

flightglobal/strateg...131651.article
Sadly the A319 in the BEA livery is also due to be retired...
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Usually I would , seat poaching presses my buttons but from a sanitation point of view they’d already put their hands everywhere so it didn’t make sense to move them as if they did have the virus I’d get it too as the train surfaces are all wiped down and sanitised. It was safer to sit in a seat no one else had occupied.
I’m not as convinced as you that I’ve already had it and wouldn’t want to bring it home to my family.
I totally can see your point of view.
Seat poaching is a biggy for me I'd've had to make a sarcastic comment to tho, there's no way they'd get away with it without knowing ! ha ha... morale to this story don't nick my seat !
Old 6 Aug 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
How does that work on a long-distance service where, for example, someone could have booked Newcastle -> York and someone else Doncaster -> London, or do they guarantee not to book a seat twice on a journey like that?

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
How does that work on a long-distance service where, for example, someone could have booked Newcastle -> York and someone else Doncaster -> London, or do they guarantee not to book a seat twice on a journey like that?
They guarantee , my seat poachers had got on at Edinburgh so before me.
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
I totally can see your point of view.
Seat poaching is a biggy for me I'd've had to make a sarcastic comment to tho, there's no way they'd get away with it without knowing ! ha ha... morale to this story don't nick my seat !
Oh I made him squirm but I just didnt fancy sitting there anymore
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

So how would you know if someone would have just put their hands all over your empty seat and table any way or sat in the seat and got off before you got on?

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List