Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Oct 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Brit Guide 2021

Well, we got there in the end. It has been the biggest challenge of our travel-writing careers, but the Brit Guide to Orlando for 2021 is finally complete and off to the printers, with a provisional publication date of Nov 16. We have everything crossed, of course.

Unsurprisingly, everything we've done this year has been predicated on trying to work around, through and in front of the pandemic. Like everyone else here in Orlando, it has been a challenge just to stay in business, and we've seen a lot of places really struggling, while some have gone out of business and others may still do.

I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that 2020 has been a miserable year in every sense, but it has been a nightmare for the travel business, and we have had to change tack seemingly every few days to try to keep up. Even with Disney re-opening in July things have not been good and, with news of more lay-offs this week, we hesitate to try to look too far ahead.

With that in mind, the next edition will come with several caveats about the state of play in our attractions. In some cases we have had to assume things will return to normal at some stage next year, while we have also had to reflect the current new health and safety procedures that are now in place, and likely to stay for the foreseeable future.

Where things have definitely changed (or closed), we have reflected that, while we were able to include concrete late announcements like the opening of the VelociCoaster at Universal and Ice Breaker at SeaWorld.

Disney has provided us with the biggest challenges, though. Just when we thought we had a handle on all the changes coming for next year, things have changed, been scaled back, or scrapped altogether. Epcot looked like being a great source of the new and exciting - until the summer's low attendances prompted major cut-backs in the park's ongoing transformation. WDW's 50th anniversary, the major highlight of the year, was originally scheduled to be an extensive programme in all 4 parks. Now things look very different, and we've had to scale back our coverage accordingly.

But we got there in the end, another re-write complete and another year in the bag. We have yet to see the new edition's cover design, and we were still making last-minute changes this month as things changed, but it is definitely finished to the best of our ability.

We know many thousands of holidays have been ruined this year and we can only hope that 2021 will allow everyone back, but Florida still has its own covid challenges, and that may continue for several more months yet. Things WILL revert to normal in due course, though, and one thing you can be absolutely sure of - Florida will be VERY happy to see you back, and the experience will still be magical.

All the best,

Simon & Susan
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Best wishes Simon.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Well, we got there in the end. It has been the biggest challenge of our travel-writing careers, but the Brit Guide to Orlando for 2021 is finally complete and off to the printers, with a provisional publication date of Nov 16. We have everything crossed, of course.

Unsurprisingly, everything we've done this year has been predicated on trying to work around, through and in front of the pandemic. Like everyone else here in Orlando, it has been a challenge just to stay in business, and we've seen a lot of places really struggling, while some have gone out of business and others may still do.

I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that 2020 has been a miserable year in every sense, but it has been a nightmare for the travel business, and we have had to change tack seemingly every few days to try to keep up. Even with Disney re-opening in July things have not been good and, with news of more lay-offs this week, we hesitate to try to look too far ahead.

With that in mind, the next edition will come with several caveats about the state of play in our attractions. In some cases we have had to assume things will return to normal at some stage next year, while we have also had to reflect the current new health and safety procedures that are now in place, and likely to stay for the foreseeable future.

Where things have definitely changed (or closed), we have reflected that, while we were able to include concrete late announcements like the opening of the VelociCoaster at Universal and Ice Breaker at SeaWorld.

Disney has provided us with the biggest challenges, though. Just when we thought we had a handle on all the changes coming for next year, things have changed, been scaled back, or scrapped altogether. Epcot looked like being a great source of the new and exciting - until the summer's low attendances prompted major cut-backs in the park's ongoing transformation. WDW's 50th anniversary, the major highlight of the year, was originally scheduled to be an extensive programme in all 4 parks. Now things look very different, and we've had to scale back our coverage accordingly.

But we got there in the end, another re-write complete and another year in the bag. We have yet to see the new edition's cover design, and we were still making last-minute changes this month as things changed, but it is definitely finished to the best of our ability.

We know many thousands of holidays have been ruined this year and we can only hope that 2021 will allow everyone back, but Florida still has its own covid challenges, and that may continue for several more months yet. Things WILL revert to normal in due course, though, and one thing you can be absolutely sure of - Florida will be VERY happy to see you back, and the experience will still be magical.

All the best,

Simon & Susan

Well done Simon and Susan on what must have been a very frustrating and difficult year for you both and your hard work is much appreciated.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Simon and Susan a difficult year for you and all but we appreciate the work you out into these essential books each year. Obviously like most we had to cancel this years trip which would have been the first for my 5 year old grandson. Now keeping fingers crossed things are safe to make the rearranged trip in May.
You and Susan make sure you stay safe
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nemesis
Gone all Goofy

I've bought a couple of your books and always found them really helpful. Last one was 2017 I think. Is there much difference between then and now? Hope it sells well for you
Nemesis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 03:55 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tapley View Post
Thanks Simon and Susan a difficult year for you and all but we appreciate the work you out into these essential books each year. Obviously like most we had to cancel this years trip which would have been the first for my 5 year old grandson. Now keeping fingers crossed things are safe to make the rearranged trip in May.
You and Susan make sure you stay safe
So sorry to hear about your holiday. We'll keep everything crossed for you for next May
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 03:58 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I've bought a couple of your books and always found them really helpful. Last one was 2017 I think. Is there much difference between then and now? Hope it sells well for you
Yes, there have been quite a few updates in the past 3 years, most obviously with Toy Story Land and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios and the huge changes that are ongoing at Epcot. We absolutely LOVE the theming that's gone into the Star Wars area but, if you like coasters, the forthcoming new VelociCoaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure is going to be a beast. If you haven't seen it yet, here's the teaser video:

I can't wait to ride it!
Old 29 Oct 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I only got a short way through the 2020 version before "everything" happened and I abandoned reading it.

Will purchase the new one as hopefully it will be more relevant (this will be about the 6th one I've bought - doesn't feel right planning a holiday without reading it, even if I have been 10 times before!)
Old 29 Oct 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

It will definitely be on my Xmas list! 😀
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Rozzyb2011
VIP Dibber

Rozzyb2011's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you both, exciting news. I buy your book every year, even the years we don't visit, it is our Florida bible so really excited to see the 2021 edition. Take care 🙂

2016: Clarion Inn, Lake Buena Vista
2018: POR & Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2022: Dibb villa "Shamu villa" Sunset Lakes
2025: Dibb villa "Villa4Orlando" Hunters Creek
Rozzyb2011 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread