Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Sep 08, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
aerorossi
Staying in the Castle

My DLP Experience

Hi Guys,

I feel compelled to share my experience of my recent trip to DLP. I do not expect everyone to agree with what im about to put.

A word of warning for those who have experienced WDW and then decide that they need a Disney fix, and think that DLP is the option. For my girlfriend and i, it turned out to be quite bittersweet. We have visited Orlando 6 times and couldnt help but compare WDW against DLP and this is a mistake because for us they could not be any different.

First and foremost we did not stop in a DLP resort hotel, we stayed in the very nearby Kyriad and we have absolutely no complaints with this hotel or its services. There are free shuttles very frequently and the Kyriad was usually first pick up so getting a seat was no problem. To be honest i am not sure that stopping in a disney hotel is worth it, they all looked as though they needed a lick of paint and a makeover and one or two people we spoke too confirmed that the disney hotels are indeed a little run down and the dining options are restricted and ridiculously expensive.

My opinion of the parks is fairly indifferent. I felt as though both parks were lacking in atmosphere, particularly the Studios which to me could almost have been any other theme park other than a Disney one.
Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller coaster and the Armageddon attractions are not exactly associated with Disney so to speak and you definitely get that undisney feeling whilst in there. The backlot tour is really quite disappointing to say the least and the london scene is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion.
Other than the above there is not much to do in the Studios at all. The Stich live was ok but even though we watched the english speaking version it was very difficult to understand what was being said. Animagique is a plus point for the Studios whilst i think the space taken up by cinemagique and art of animation could be better utilised. The whole place feels as though it is stuck in a time warp even though its relatively new park. I find it hard to comprehend that there is no wall-e or enchanted features given that these are newish disney films. We didnt manage to get on Crush Coaster due to mad busy queues and unworkable fast pass times, i think they need to rethink the queing system of this ride somewhat.

The Disney Park was a little better and had a little more atmosphere. It was much easier getting on the rides and the fast pass worked well.
However it is in need of an update, the honey i shrunk the audience was poor, alices labryinth seems like an afterthought, the snow white and pinocchio rides had even the most enthusiastic kids bored and yawning and again i think the space these attractions use could be better utilised. Maybe i am being harsh but you expect so much more magic from Disney and for me these parks just do not deliver at all.
There was a non descript parade each evening/afternoon in september that had no relevance or theme to it and this is meant to be the 15th year celebration. The one big thing that annoyed my girlfriend and i was the first night we were there, we had been awake almsot 36hrs by that point and it was our intention to watch the fantillusion parade and the candleabration and enchanted fireworks, however we couldnt make it, we were too exhausted. We saw the start of Fantillusion and the floats were so far apart that they had to keep stopping and starting and it got a bit tiresome so we decided to leave! This was a frightening experience trying to battle past thousands of people who thought you were after there pitch when alls we wanted to do was get out. People were pushing and shoving and ramming prams at you and to top it all off it was pitch black, and not a light anywhere. Now i appreciate that the fantillusion attraction wouldnt be the same in light but Disney seriously need to have 1 or 2 well lit and signed exits during these parades before someone gets hurt, it really upset my girlfriend that people were so rude and agressive when we tried to get past them to exit the park. Because of that we decide to miss the final night of the above fireworks and parades.

We found the food and drink overly expensive even for Paris and how those with a couple of kids manage i have no idea. The organisation is poor, people just barge past you in queues for the characters and the cast members just dont appear to want to be there. The whole DLP seems like an afterthought in my opinion and i doubt very much that it somewhere my girlfriend and i would go again. It is very poor value for money and eating and drinking the normal food cost an extortionate amount in both disney parks and the village. It is much more value for money to go to Orlando for 2 or 3 weeks than 5 days in Paris. I know not many people will agree with my overview and i dont expect them too but the above is something to think about.
aerorossi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry that you didn't enjoy DLRP - we love it there.

It is great as a Disney fix but can't be compared to WDW in anyway. Though it is expensive, we found it no more so than any theme park in the UK.

The character interaction is very poor there, but they have improved it from what it used to be! The best way to meet characters at DLRP is at character meals as these don't result in the pushing/shoving scrum that many in the parks result in.

What you spend on food in DLRP in 4 days would be enough for at least 1 week in Orlando, but that is down to the cost of living in the US more than anything else. Though it will work out more expensive per day, you don't have to pay for the 9hr trans Atlantic flight.

Edited at 01:07 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

If you want a theme park fix in Europe "Gardaland" (do ignore the naff name) in Northern Italy is hard to beat. ...good themeing ...not Disney ...but by all accounts neither is DLP !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, sorry to hear of your bad experiance with DLP I know you should not compare it with Florida or Cal but you just cannot help it, as much as we would like a mini disney fix every now and then, we cannot be bothered with the hassle and un-enjoyment caused due to the way the europeans behave, french in particular , the last time my sister and her family where there they said that the disney village had an uneasy feeling about it and that the way every one was pushing in, treading on the plants to watch the parades was a disgrace .

Don't think I would want to put DS & DD through it either
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

DLP doesn't even try to be WDW, so how is it possible to compare them? It is more expensive that Florida, but that's Europe, like Matt said.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. I'm certainly looking forward to my trip in a few days. Done all my research, so will hopefully not fall into the same pitfalls you have experienced.
DLP 1992 - Davy Crockett Ranch WDW 1994 - Grosvenor WDW 1996 - Travelodge LBW DLP 1997WDW 1998 - Caribbean Beach WDW 2000 - Nikki Bird WDW 2002 - Quality Inn Plaza WDW 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort DLP 2007 - Sequoia Lodge WDW 2009 - Villa and Pop! DLP 2009 - Newport Bay DLP 2010 - New York Hotel WDW 2010 - Pop Century

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

stephwa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by stephwa View Post
DLP doesn't even try to be WDW, so how is it possible to compare them? It is more expensive that Florida, but that's Europe, like Matt said.
Steph - I'm sure that you will have a great time, we always have. I think this is the main reason why DLRP gets such a bad review, mainly from people who have been to WDW. People compare it to WDW and are disappointed, but that is unfair on DLRP. WDW has the weather, US culture, cheaper cost of living and a significant size advanatage!

It is hard not to compare, I know we did it when watching the Lion King show in the Disneyland park, but then we compared it to places like Alton Towers, Chessington, Thorpe Park and Legoland and that put it into perspective! We hold Merlin APs so we love those UK parks, but compared to DLRP they are very poor.
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stephwa
Imagineer

I've been a couple of times and loved it. I'm easily pleased though

I think you make it of what you can. Don't go there expecting it to be WDW and I doubt you'll be disappointed. For me, its my Disney fix till I can (hopefully) get to Florida next year. And the most Disney I get at the moment is the Disney stores in the UK! So anything's gotta be better than that!
DLP 1992 - Davy Crockett Ranch WDW 1994 - Grosvenor WDW 1996 - Travelodge LBW DLP 1997WDW 1998 - Caribbean Beach WDW 2000 - Nikki Bird WDW 2002 - Quality Inn Plaza WDW 2007 - Coronado Springs Resort DLP 2007 - Sequoia Lodge WDW 2009 - Villa and Pop! DLP 2009 - Newport Bay DLP 2010 - New York Hotel WDW 2010 - Pop Century

Upcoming Trips...
WDW October 2011!

stephwa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I say this everytime we have this discussion.
DLRP isn't owned outright by Disney. They don't even have the deciding vote. It's owned, mostly, by SCA in France.
I like DLRP. It's not WDW and as long as you remember that you can have a good time.
Go with an open mind. Experience it for yourself and then you can either love it or hate it.
I hate Legoland with a vengeance but I'm in a minority. That's ok... each to their own.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

I have to agree that DLRP is not particularly enjoyable. That is mainly because both the people who work there are completely different animals to the cast members at WDW. And unfortunately many of the Europeans that visit DLRP are unfriendly, obnoxious and just aren't "British"... They'll never learn to wait in line for anything...
However, for those that say you can't compare it with WDW, I have to disagree with this statement. At the end of the day DLRP IS Disney, WDW Florida IS Disney, and every other Disney park or Disney attraction around the world IS Disney. They should all compare with each other. They should all have the same Disney feel to them. The cast members should all show that Disney enthusiasm... etc.. etc...
However, thats just my opinion. Don't shoot me...! And yes I know DLRP isn't owned outright by Disney but it should make an effort...!
Old 4 Sep 08, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
summerlily2002
Imagineer

Never been, Probably never will, just dont fancy it and for the price it costs i'd rather go to Florida for a bit more money