Notices

Old 18 Aug 17, 02:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Five Go On a Culinary Caper - Day 5

Our breakfast reservation this morning was at Ohana. This was a long awaited location for us as the last time we visited we ended up cancelling our reservation due to illness. When we arrived the check in area was packed but the queue moved reasonably quickly and pretty quickly we had a buzzer and were told to join the line to have our photo taken with Stitch. This was quite a long line but did occupy us while we waited for our table!we waited for about 10 minutes after our adr time before we got a table.

We were shown to a lovely table right by the window with a beautiful view of the lagoon and Cinderella's Castle beyond.

We started our breakfast with pineapple and coconut bread which was great although I couldn't taste much coconut. It was more like a danish than a bread.

We were also given a fruit platter

Our breakfast platter soon arrived which we all devoured and we asked for extra waffles. I think a 10am breakfast ensured everyone was really hungry by the time we got our food.

We met Mickey, Pluto and Lilo during our meal too.

Everyone enjoyed our Ohana experience and we're glad we have finally made it. Although I think in the future we might try to have an earlier adr time.

We had a quiet day around the pool at OKW and after the late breakfast no one ate anything all day.

We've just returned from a fantastic meal at Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our adr was for 5.30 and we arrived in time and were shown directly to our table, again like this morning we had a table right by the window and a nice view.

Our server was excellent he explained each item on the menu in detail.
We ordered some drinks in addition to sodas.

Tusker for me

Hopsecutioner IPA For Hubby

We were given some beer bread and fennel favoured butter. The bread was lovely but no one liked the butter!

Starters

Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin - with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro

Hubby said this was lovely, so tender with a slightly spicy sauce.

Inguday Tibs in Brik - mushrooms, spinach, cheese in crispy Tunisian filo with apples and curry vinaigrette

These were really nice, much lighter than expected and a lovely favour.

Taste of Africa - African inspired Dips, papadum, sesame fatir, house-made flax seed naan

Eldest had this and loved the different dips. They included a hummus with sundried tomato, a mango chutney (nothing like the curry style one from home) spicy cucumber raita and a spicy chilli dip.

Mushroom-Leek Flatbread - portobello mushrooms, spiced leek fondue, sweet peppers, aged goat cheese.

The favour combination in this was fantastic, slightly sweet, slightly bitter with a spicy hint too. It was amazing.

Mains

Peri Peri Green Circle Chicken - irio, braai shi≈≈≈≈o peppers, peas and corn wisselslag, chicken reduction

Eldest really enjoyed this. The peas and corn combination which came with it looked really good.

2 x Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - bobotie mac n' cheese, grilled asparagus, kachumbari, South African red wine sauce

Mum and hubby both had this and said the steaks were very good, mum said hers equalled the one she had at the Boathouse earlier in the week. Hubby said he thought his wasn't quite up to the one from the Boathouse but it was a close run thing.

West African Koki Corn - mushrooms, avocado, poblano-tomatillo puree, roasted red pepper sauce

This was a stand out dish for me, not only of the holiday but I've rarely get such a lovely dish in a restaurant. The favours were wonderful together, they were very specific but went so well together. I ate every bit and that's not something I would normally do.

Desserts

Orange-Ginger Cheesecake - Cape gooseberry gelee, chocolate biscuit, Tom West blueberry variations

This was nice but it was more of a chocolate sponge on the bottom which didn't really work as a cheesecake base. Flavours were good though.

Safari Sunset - carrot cake, cornbread calamansi and lemon cremeux, Kenyan coffee streusel, citrus gel, valrhona dulcey mousse, candied carrots

I tried this and I didn't like it but Mum did. The lemon layer was lovely and smooth. The cornbread layer seemed a bit course but Mum loves Carrot cake and she enjoyed it.

Kilimanjaro - Tanzanian chocolate mousse, pistachio financier, pink peppercorn meringue, cacao nib crunch, ras el hanout pineapples

Hubby really enjoyed this

This may well have been the meal of the holiday but time will tell, it will certainly be hard to beat, excellent food in a beautiful place and lovely atmosphere. We loved AKL when we stayed there a number of years ago and tonight I think we remembered why.

Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Timeout - 18 Aug 17 3:01 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Breakfast looked good, however, dinner looks amazing - definite worth adding to the list for a visit.
Old 18 Aug 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Breakfast looked good, however, dinner looks amazing - definite worth adding to the list for a visit.
It was totally amazing. It was a bit of a trek on Disney busses to get their but so worth it. X
Timeout is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Jiko's looks lovely - my lot are too fussy to try there which is a shame. Ohana's looks good, as always
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Love Jiko your meal looks amazing
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

That flatbread looks lovely but the butter to go with the rolls looks weird !
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some great looking food glad you enjoyed yours so much

Joan
Old 19 Aug 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
That flatbread looks lovely but the butter to go with the rolls looks weird !
The flatbread was beautiful really great.
I can honestly say I can't imagine anyone would like that butter it was so strange!
Old 19 Aug 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Timeout
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Some great looking food glad you enjoyed yours so much

Joan
Thanks, it was great to have a meal where I felt I did as well as everyone else! X