Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 Aug 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
sulley34
Helping Mickey

Florida road trip - where to stay and best beaches

I'm so excited! I love Florida holidays but the husband whilst he enjoys them has never been as keen as me. However after a lovely but quiet holiday in Spain this year he has agreed to a 3 week trip to Florida next year so long as we see more places outside of Orlando! We will definitely have a week or 10 days in Orlando and then visit Miami but after that we're unsure. We are thinking the keys or gulf coast. Does anyone have ideas of nice places to visit, good beaches, things to do etc? We will go last 3 weeks in August and have our kids with us aged 17 and 14. Thanks
sulley34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WillowFae
Excited about Disney

We loved staying at Vero Beach Resort. It is Disney's resort on the East coast, about 1 hour drive south of Port Canaveral.
WDW April 94 (pre-kids) (non-Disney), WDW Oct 12 (villa), WDW Oct 14 (GF), WDW Aug 15 (OKW), WDW DCL Aug 16 (VB, Cruise, BCV), WDW DCL Feb 17 (AKL, Cruise, GF), DLP Aug 17 (NBCC, SL), WDW DCL Oct 17 (Poly, Cruise), WDW DCL Aug 18 (VB, POR, BLT, Cruise x 2)
WillowFae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Yanto
Getting Excited

Hi,

I would recommend the Gulf Coast personally we did a similar trip 2 years ago down to the Keys. We did it in a week there and back its a lot of driving but found it well worth it.

Our itinerary looked something like this: -

Bradenton x 1 night with a trip to AMI
Naples x 2 nights (can't recommend this place highly enough)
From Naples traveled through the Everglades on the Tamiami highway stopped off for an air boat ride
Key West x 2 nights
Traveled back up to Fort Myers beach x 1 night

We loved the Gulf Coast that much went back last year and are going again this year do not think we would stay anywhere else now.
Yanto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jacimac
Helping Mickey

Hi
We travel to Florida nearly every year and always do something else as well as staying onsite in Disney, this year myself, my husband, my DD(14), DD and her boyfriend (21&25) and my parents, have just come home from a 3 week trip which started with us travelling approx 3.5 hrs from MCO to spend 6 nights in a Villa in Cape Coral which was lovely, we hired a boat whilst there and visited Sanibel Island, we also visited Fort Myers and Naples, had trips to the beach, shopping etc (prefer Orlando for shopping), from there we drove across the Everglades on the Tamiami trail for approx 3.5hrs down to the Keys and stayed for 3 nights in Islamorada in the middle of the keys, whilst there we spent a day travelling further down the keys and visiting Key West which was great, the Keys are lovely to see but if I did it again I would probably stay in Key West as there is much more to see and do and lots more going on, we then made the long journey non-stop approx 5.5hrs up to our Disney resort for 11 days. Whilst it was great to see other parts of Florida it was very tiring doing so much in 3 weeks and a lot of driving all done by myself, by the end of the Gulf Coast and they Keys the kids couldn't wait to get back to Disney and start their 'real' holiday.
Southern Dunes Villas 2001, Disney All Star Music 2008, 2010, 2012, Disney POR & Bahamas Disney Dream Cruise 2014, NYC & Disney POR 2015, Disney POR 2016, Cape Coral, Keys & Disney CSR 2017, NYC & Disney POR 2018, Sol Terra Resort Villa, Pardise Cove Wedding & Disney CSR Honeymoon 2019

Edited at 07:54 PM.
jacimac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 17, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

My children are 13 and 16 and are not long back from 4 nights in Miami and 12 nights in Cape Coral. DS16 loves seeing the amazing cars in Miami-we stayed on South Beach, and also visited Wynwood which features in quite a music videos your children may have seen. We loved the Gulf Coast beaches of Sanibel, Naples, Lovers Key and Barefoot. Still some good bargains to be had at the outlet malls and huge variety of restaurants
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirky123
Imagineer

Kirky123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

We left Vero Beach yesterday after three really great days. We stayed at the kimpton Vero Beach which is directly on the beach. Fantastic hotel, possibly the nicest we've ever stayed at. Vero beach itself was very small but had some great restaurants and shops. The beach was in our opinion much better than the gulf coast beaches, plus vero beach itself was much cleaner more picturess than treasure island where we stayed last year. Just a ten minute drive away was a mall, all the usual chain restaurants and a large cinema ( which we needed due to a day of rain).
Kirky123 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
WillowFae
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kirky123 View Post
We left Vero Beach yesterday after three really great days. We stayed at the kimpton Vero Beach which is directly on the beach. Fantastic hotel, possibly the nicest we've ever stayed at. Vero beach itself was very small but had some great restaurants and shops. The beach was in our opinion much better than the gulf coast beaches, plus vero beach itself was much cleaner more picturess than treasure island where we stayed last year. Just a ten minute drive away was a mall, all the usual chain restaurants and a large cinema ( which we needed due to a day of rain).
We stayed at Disney's Vero Beach resort. Lovely area
WDW April 94 (pre-kids) (non-Disney), WDW Oct 12 (villa), WDW Oct 14 (GF), WDW Aug 15 (OKW), WDW DCL Aug 16 (VB, Cruise, BCV), WDW DCL Feb 17 (AKL, Cruise, GF), DLP Aug 17 (NBCC, SL), WDW DCL Oct 17 (Poly, Cruise), WDW DCL Aug 18 (VB, POR, BLT, Cruise x 2)
WillowFae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 03:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Teejay229
Getting Excited

We're in Orlando now following 1 week on the gulf coast.
Did brief stop in Miami as flew into here, then 3 nights Naples and then 4 nights Anna Maria island before driving over to Orlando for 2 weeks doing parks.
Did Everglades mangrove and grasslands airboat trip whilst in Naples as only 40 min drive too which didn't fancy myself but actually loved it.
Teejay229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
alannamr
Serious Dibber

We are currently staying on Marco Island (near Naples). Fab place . Highly recommend.
alannamr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Young Pooh
Apprentice Imagineer

We have just got back from almost 3 weeks in Florida - we stayed at the Skipjack Resort in Marathon (Middle Keys) and used this as a base to explore the Keys.

We then moved onto Naples and stayed at the Charter Club in Old Naples - fantastic location within walking distance to Tin City, 5th Avenue and 3rd St shopping/eating areas and Naples pier. We much prefer this location to most of the bigger resorts which are further out.

We then moved onto a villa in Cape Coral and used this as a base for exploring the area - Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel etc plus shopping in the area.

Last year we spent a few nights in Hollywood Beach (next to Fort Lauderdale) at the Margaritaville Resort and would recommend this as well.

Young Pooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List