Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 17, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fatblokeflorida View Post
Right. Let me give you an idea what I'm up against.

I've just had the chat with the wife and explained how we should consider more time in Vegas. As we've already spent a fair amount of time getting our outline itinerary together, I half expected her to get the right hump and say (shout) something about where are the extra days going to come from etc but out of nowhere she turns round and says well why don't we consider going to NY, visit Niagara Falls and then fly on to Vegas after we've done that.

Apparently San Fran, LA and San Diego can all wait until the next trip.

Unbelievable.:angry:

While that means we may now get the extra days in Vegas I've really got no idea what the wife actually wants to do. So, as a start point, I'm assuming many have done something like this before, does it work, how does booking flights in to the east coast and out of the west coast work out cost wise, can you include the internal flights from east to west all as part of the overall flight booking or is it best to do that bit separately, roughly how much would the internal flights be?

Any advice appreciated - I'm now off to count to 10 and have a beer or two
Just to give you a bit of info, if for instance you fly to NY first, spent few days there then an internal flight to Toronto would be 1 and half hours. After that from Toronto to Vegas is about 4 and half hours. We are doing that Toronto flight very soon yeh!
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
what a fab list daytonababe
this is what i have done

Shark reef yes
Secret garden outside onlyonly
Neon museum ( our favourite )
Bellagio conservatory yes it was ok only
Bellagio fountains amazeballs
Mirage volcano
Gondola rides saw them but didn't want a go. would be mortified to have someone singing to me
NyNy roller coaster first thing after arrival
Stratosphere tower & rides plan it this year
Linq high roller ( big wheel )fab didn't do drink package, you don't need to
Fremont street was too tired on last day - def on hit list this time and the zip line
Golden nugget, worlds biggest nugget is that fremont street?
Ricks restorations yeah would like to see it
Counts kustoms
Kiss crazy golf looks great crack
Pawn shop may venture that direction and do car place too
Pin ball museum never heard of it
Gun store hmmm not sure
Go karting nah can do it at home
Wet and wild water park? really
Cowabunga bay another water park?
Vegas sign yup done first morning at 8am with beers in hand lol
Madame Tussaud's nah sure we see enough on the strip
Mob museum def an option for something different
Atomic bomb museum god no
CSI experience heard its not that good
Lake mead
Hoover dam
Red rock canyon
Valley of fire
Primm ( certain days of the week the wooden roller coaster etc works )
Shopping
Eiffel Tower yup saw it but was up the real one
Town square
Game works
Walked miles on the strip anyone doesn't 30,000 steps first day
M&Ms world gotta see it
Hershey's world another yup
Coke world
Romans show at Caesars palace
Shelby museum
Car museum at the Linq
Boulder City
Lake Las Vegas
Tanked
Shows oh yeah not sure who is residency next march
Circus circus adventuredrome ( probably my least favourite place in Vegas but some must like it ... nah think i would prefer stratosphere

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Yes the Golden Nugget is Fremont Street .

Water parks btw only open end of march -sept and some of that time is weekends only .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Wow, glad I did a search now as I am planning a LV trip in March for 4 nights.

On a bit of a budget and looking at the Golden Nugget (but upgrading to the Rush tower) or on the Strip but cannot make my mind up. May hire a car which may make things easier for getting between the strip and downtown. Reading reviews some say to stay in downtown, some on the strip (most are these).

Central strip is looking a bit over our price range and narrowing cheaper strip hotels down to Trump at one end or New York New York at the other.

Also looking to do the Hoover Dam but unsure whether to do the West GC bit with the skywalk or the South Rim, is the extra 2 hour journey worth it to the South rim.

I was thinking of driving as I am not one for being stuck on a coach.

Any views?

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Off2Florida2016 View Post

On a bit of a budget and looking at the Golden Nugget (but upgrading to the Rush tower) or on the Strip but cannot make my mind up. May hire a car which may make things easier for getting between the strip and downtown. Reading reviews some say to stay in downtown, some on the strip (most are these).

Central strip is looking a bit over our price range and narrowing cheaper strip hotels down to Trump at one end or New York New York at the other.

Also looking to do the Hoover Dam but unsure whether to do the West GC bit with the skywalk or the South Rim, is the extra 2 hour journey worth it to the South rim.

Any views?
For your Vegas time who is going and is your primary aim to gamble ?
As for the GC its a very long trip to south rim for just a day and doesnt allow a lot of time there so if its just a day trip would stick to the west even though the south rim is amazing. Fremont St for me is ok for a visit would not choose to stay there. NYNY really good all round hotel and in a great location.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Any views?
Just a thought, you are aware of parking fees and resort fees at most hotels on the strip?
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews

Any views?
Trump
Wouldn't be my choice due to the location , NYNY is a much better position . I've stayed there and it's a good hotel only downside is the pool but your unlikely to have much time for the pool anyway.
Personally i wouldn't stay downtown either .. you will spend a lot of time travelling back and forwards to the strip and with a few days you don't have to waste really plus it's not the best of areas
With 4 days I would stick to the west rim .. you can do that and the hoover dam in 1/2 day the south will take a full day .

March is a expensive time in Vegas as there are so many events on . What dates are you there ( I go every march )

Edited at 01:33 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
And I wouldn't do vegas without a car yes there are parking charges ( but plenty of places don't charge on the strip ) but it's far easier to get around and if you on a budget there are many nice places to stay a few minutes from the strip which are far cheaper than strip hotels.

By the time you've paid to do excursions it's as cheap to hire a car anyway .
Old 28 Aug 17, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
For your Vegas time who is going and is your primary aim to gamble ?
As for the GC its a very long trip to south rim for just a day and doesnt allow a lot of time there so if its just a day trip would stick to the west even though the south rim is amazing. Fremont St for me is ok for a visit would not choose to stay there. NYNY really good all round hotel and in a great location.
Thanks both for the replies, much appreciated.

Just me and the wife going, may gamble but it's not a must, probably just to say we've done it more than anything.
Re the south rim I just wondered whether the West will be slightly disappointing.
Only looking at Fremont St purely on budget as you can get a much upgraded room for much lower than most of the strip, but take your advice on board.

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Just a thought, you are aware of parking fees and resort fees at most hotels on the strip?
Not too sure how much driving we will do but will obviously have to take parking into account.

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Trump
Wouldn't be my choice due to the location , NYNY is a much better position .
Personally i wouldn't stay downtown either .. you will spend a lot of time travelling back and forwards to the strip and with a few days you don't have to waste really plus it's not the best of areas
With 4 days I would stick to the west rim .. you can do that and the hoover dam in 1/2 day the south will take a full day .

March is a expensive time in Vegas as there are so many events on . What dates are you there ( I go every march )
Looking at 4 nights 20/03-24/03 due to using the minimum amount of days holiday. Looks like NYNY and the West rim trip is probably my best bet then. This time seems cheaper than similar periods around it for a combination of flights and hotel prices.

I agree with the OP it's mind boggling with the amount of hotels and reviews.

Having never been before I have no scale of where everything is in relationship to everything else... apart from looking on a map which isn't always the best.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
NY is the south end of the strip , there is a lot of hotels , places to eat and attractions near there it's my preferred end of the strip .

You will get more hotel for your money at Fremont but 1 hr there is enough for me it's about 7 miles from the Center of the strip though .

I stop at South Point which is 10 mins by car to say the NYNY but it's free parking , resort fees $21.99 per night and it's far less per night than a equivalent strip hotel .
Suits us but others aren't keen on being off strip but I still spend a lot of time on the strip I just don't sleep there .

If you could avoid a Friday night the strip would be cheaper so stay Monday -Thursday , the 23rd & 24th are the monster jam world finals in Vegas so that pushes prices up .