Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 13 Aug 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
bwfc4ife
VIP Dibber

Mobile Starters/main courses - is this normal?!

Just after a little advice... we are here now and have been for just over a week. Just wondered if it's normal for america that when out for a meal and part way through an appetiser, the main courses are brought out and pushed into the table as well?
A couple of examples so far... rainforest cafe we ordered nachos and were part way through them when the waitress brought our steaks, pushed them onto the table so much so that our side plates almost fell off the other side! Then we ended up having to leave the nachos so the steaks didn't get ruined!
Olive Garden - appetiser came out, then the main course about 1 minute later!
Is this normal? I don't like to complain and if this is how Americans do it then that's fine, but just wondered if some of these restaurants are taking the mickey a little to rush us out?!
bwfc4ife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes that is normal in America. You can ask the server not to bring the main until you gave finished he appetiser.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Yes and no. It's not acceptable but we have noticed it happening more frequently. Americans do like quick service and expect to eat quickly where we tend to want to make an evening of it. But I think you should be able to finish each course before the next arrives.

We have been known to delay ordering the mains until after the appetiser has arrived to slow things down.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I've read of this a lot. Apparently Americans tend to order an appetiser to nibble on while deciding what to have for their entree (main course). So when we Brits come along and order both at once - they assume that is what we want!

Not really experienced it myself but we haven't really eaten offsite, and I think maybe the parks are more used to Brits.

Either ask for a break between courses, or don't order your entree until you've had your appetisers.

Also, don't be surprised if they clear dirty plates before everyone has finished eating. They consider it rude to leave people looking at dirty plates.

And if they bring the bill (aka the check) before you've finished, they aren't trying to get rid of you. Again, it's considered good service and means you don't have to flag someone down afterwards. There is no hurry to pay.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We have been known to delay ordering the mains until after the appetiser has arrived to slow things down.
This is what we do to get over this issue which is common in the US. Order your appetiser whilst you are looking at the menu and tell the server you are still deciding on the entree. Order that when they bring the appetiser out.

Debra
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

My pet hate and I make a point of saying please don't bring our main dishes until we are finished our starters! On one occasion I spoke to the Manager (think it was Carrabbas) and she was very apologetic and offered us complementary dessert!
capecoralfl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi after 13 trips now we have never had this, if this did happen to us we would be telling the server to take them away and ask for the manager.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We did have this many many years ago. But like others who have posted we skirt around this now by not placing the entree order until we are halfway through the appetiser or even finished.

It is not them being rude but just the way things are. Communication is the key to a great meal normally.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi after 13 trips now we have never had this, if this did happen to us we would be telling the server to take them away and ask for the manager.
Same for us. Perhaps less chatting, more eating lol
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 17, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nicohna
Apprentice Imagineer

Service is different all over the world. Italy, for example, dinner could take a good 2/3 hours depending on how much you're ordering and most places the server wouldn't have come back unless you called them over. All very relaxed! This is one thing that I really liked about Italy as here, I always seem to have a mega mouthful of food when the server comes back

I agree with Mr Tom Morrow - communication is key!