Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 5 May 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Fiona35 View Post
Can anyone advise if there Gluten Free snacks at the resorts other than fruit and ice cream?
I'm staying at POFQ so I'm aware of the beignets but wondered if there weed any other options like cupcake or cookies?
Thanks
We stayed at POR and there were brownies and cookies, both lovely. There were also rice cripsie treats that weren't specifically labelled as gluten free but actually were.

Old 20 Aug 17, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
noneekins
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

A word of warning about Tusker House

Despite being told they cater for allergies by guest services and front of house, I had a very uncomfortable experience

My 'allergen' had been noted (coeliac). However the server told me to help myself to the buffet. I explained due to potential cross contamination (spoons from one food to the next), I couldn't do this and requested that food be brought from the back. She told me that this may not be possible as it depended on the chef. I was a bit taken aback and explained that we couldn't eat there then. She said she would ask the chef. Eventually the chef came and I explained I was a coeliac and that I couldn't get food from the buffet due to cross contamination from the spoons. His response was that there was no cross contamination from the spoons as each food had its own spoon. REALLY, and he could guarantee that no-one had used the same spoon to pick up several foods... I think not. He then just stood there. By now I was feeling a little awkward, but I asked him to bring me food from the back. He asked me what I wanted, (my experience in the other buffet restaurants has been that the chef has taken me round the buffet and I selected the food and he went away and brought me the selection from the back). By now I was a bit flustered so quickly selected a couple of things from the allergen menu which he went away and brought ($39 for a bit of sausage, bacon and egg plus Mickey waffles and a drink...really!). He also brought me it in 2 parts and I had to keep asking their server for the rest of my breakfast. Her initial response wasn't I'll go and check, but 'he'll be bringing it'. I had to ask 3 times. To add insult to injury, when my husband was at the buffet, he heard the chef ask one of he other chefs for an allergy request for someone else. The chef said 'another allergy request' and the other chef said 'not another one' and rolled his eyes.!

So I would seriously avoid here, and go to Boma for breakfast instead.

Also everywhere else has been great.

Sent from my iPad
noneekins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Noneekins - which restaurant did you have this experience in please? I'm a coeliac who is really sensitive to cross contamination so will make sure that I avoid.
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It sounds like Tusker house that the other person had a bad experience of but not sure, however I ate there in Aug for both breakfast & dinner and I'm a coeliac and they couldn't have been any nicer.
The chef asked me to go around the buffet and see what I wanted and he would get from the back for me as when I was seated the server asked was I happy making my own choices from the allergy leaflet given or did I want to talk to a chef. I opted for talking to the chef and after choosing the chef made my plates up our the back. Yes I had a few courses and the chef kept bringing stuff out but they were really lovely with me, at breakfast he bought extra cookies and brownies in sealed packets for me to munch on later in the day😀
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Glad you had a good experience at Tuskers. It's one that we haven't done yet but we're considering for our next visit. Also a lovely gesture giving you some sealed cookies and brownies 😊
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
excited73
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thank you

Massive thank you for this, my other half is wheat and gluten intolerant and we were dreading eating at Disney. But thanks to all the post's i can get back to being excited about going

Edited at 07:28 PM.
excited73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
nanasamboy
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had a great experience at Tusker last week too! Granted, mine is a dietary choice rather than an allergy but I was given the option of the leaflet or speaking to a chef and I was happy with the leaflet. I saw a few items that obviously had some cross-contamination from spoons, so avoided those, but I know I could have had some from the back if I asked. My server was really helpful and I also had a big plate of sealed and unsealed treats for dessert. I can't fault any of the Disney restaurants to be honest - I hope the issue the previous poster had was just a case of someone having a bad day. Granted, that shouldn't happen, but I have never been treated like an inconvenience (pics of my vegan Tusker treats below!)

nanasamboy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Opulent73
Excited about Disney

Opulent73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 18
I have a question .. I have chosen gluten free as I appear to have an intolerance.. it’s not the end of the world if I eat it but I feel a bit sluggish, runny nose and some trembles or occasional stomach pain.. but I don’t have to avoid it. I just prefer to.

So can you go to the menu and see if it’s gluten free or do I always have to tell them?

Next question.. do you pay more for it? Is it included in the DDP?

WDW POR FQ- Apr 2025 for 25th Anniversary DLP Grand Magic - Dec 23 & May 22, WDW Beach Club - Jul 2019, WDW Dolphin - Apr 2015, WDW POR Riverside - Mar 2013, WDW Beach Club - Mar 2011, DLP AP holder 2016-2017, DLP Explorers - Aug 2008.
Opulent73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Opulent73
Excited about Disney

Opulent73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Oh and do you tell each individual restaurant at time of booking or just Disney ADR ?

WDW POR FQ- Apr 2025 for 25th Anniversary DLP Grand Magic - Dec 23 & May 22, WDW Beach Club - Jul 2019, WDW Dolphin - Apr 2015, WDW POR Riverside - Mar 2013, WDW Beach Club - Mar 2011, DLP AP holder 2016-2017, DLP Explorers - Aug 2008.
Opulent73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
nanasamboy
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s included in the DDP. You can notify at time of booking but there’s no need to, really. Just ask for an allergy menu at your ADR and you’ll see what is suitable. Highly recommend the allergy waffles, available at most breakfast locations
nanasamboy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets