Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jan 14, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Art of Shaving

I am newly converted to DE shaving... is the Art of Shaving shop in Mall of Millenia any good? Prices on line look very expensive - which I imagine will be the case in the mall... or are their any other shops like this in the area?
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 14, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i'd not noticed any other places... and teh art of shaving had some nice stuff in, but as you said, it was very expensive, so i didnt buy anything.

but then i've already got a merkur futur (brushed steel, not chrome), so wasnt really looking for anything new anyway
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 14, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Cheers - ah well, will look - never know might have offers (we will be there for labour day)...otherwise will just get some ideas and source on line.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 14, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I think I remember some billboards saying that one of these places was going to open in Florida Mall too...
I just checked and it looks like I was right - and they have one of those Barber Spas too where men can have a traditional shave - how lovely!

Edited at 05:44 PM.
zoemoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 14, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
amackay
Trying for More Ears

I was in the Art of Shaving shop in November and I wouldn't rush back. They had mostly Mach 4 & Fusion handles with a very limited selection of DE handles. The shaving soap looked like overpriced Taylors of Old Bond Street. I'd get all your shaving stuff here, much better selection and better prices.

My personal recommendation is Castle Forbes shaving cream.
amackay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 14, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amackay View Post
My personal recommendation is Castle Forbes shaving cream.
cream?! blasphemy! its all about the shaving stick and a good quality badger hair brush!

not that ive used mine recently, my beard is currently *massive*

if i'm shaving regularly though, i use king of shaves menthol oil as well. I'd use the shave stick at the weekend, and then the shave oil during the week for convenience (and to keep my face protected)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 14, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Millie's Mum
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Oh Guys please could i ask you a few questions
i bought my hubby a set for christmas ( blue beards revenge ) he's not to keen on brush tbh or the blades that came with the gift set, so do you reccomend anything ? i'm also trying to find a soap bowl/ dish that costs less than the £18 iv seen

he says tho that it's a wonderful way of shaving
Thankyou
Old 29 Jan 14, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Good tip on oil - thanks.
Prefer soap stick and good brush too.
Boot's own range do a cheap soap dish (black and red):

boots/en/Boots-Shave-...l-100g_983819/

I think with blades it's trial and error. Mien came with Derby blades, seem ok, but will try others. I think on Amazon you can buy a set of 4/5 different blade makes, so might be worth a try.

amazon/Derby-Double...ords=de+blades

Edited at 11:05 AM.
Old 29 Jan 14, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

by far the sharpest blades ive ever tried are the japanese feather blades, you can get them on amazon...

but i only use these when im shaving regularly (a couple of times a week)... at the moment, if i were to shave, my face would be ripped to shreds by them... so ive got a pack of the 80p wilkos ones which i actually quite like too, as they arent nearly as harsh on my face when i have a lot of growth to get rid of. once the beard is off and my skin is toughened up a bit i go back to the feather blades

as for brushes, i've got one of these... had it for a few years now and its still in as good condition as when i first got it

hth
Old 29 Jan 14, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Millie's Mum
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Thankyou very much , i have made notes and will show him when he gets in from work , i'm glad you said the feather blades are good , i ordered some a week ago so i'm waiting for them to be delivered , i also just bought him a sampler set from "traditional shaving company" ( i did a google and found them to be reasonable ) .. thanks again for your help