Old 13 Oct 16, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
You dont often hear of the trattoria. It looks nice enough but not wow to make you want to go back.
It's still new so maybe not enough people have tried it yet or maybe it is just down to it not being anything special.

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
We tried Trattoria too and would agree with you. It was ok but not something I'd probably go back to. Great photos.
Thanks. It's frustrating though because it was a really nice setting and I liked the restaurant itself but I'm not sure I could justify a return visit when we only have 12 credits next year.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 5 - MK & DS

Breakfast was in the villa again before a late start at MK. We found ourselves in the area of Gastons Tavern mid-morning so decided to get another Le Fous Brew.

I was hungry but it was too close to lunchtime for anything big. We saw the cheese and ham stuffed pretzel on the menu and I suggested getting it between us to take the edge off.

This was really nice and we all enjoyed it. It cost $7.49 so wasn’t a snack credit. It was busy so I didn’t ask if it was possible to get it using a QS credit in some way but I think I’ll enquire next year. Mum and Dad went out to find a table and managed to get one of the ones outside in the shade so we sat for a wee while enjoying the food and drink and doing some people watching. I really like this area but it can get really busy so finding a table can be almost impossible.

We were on the WDW Rail Road train when we started thinking about lunch so decided to get off at the Frontierland stop and go to Pecos Bills. We hadn’t been there for years and not at all since the menu change so it was effectively new for us. It wasn’t too busy and there was a CM handing out menu cards and directing you to a till point.

I had the Fajita Platter which comes with both chicken and beef, Dad had the Southwest Burger which came with tortilla chips and Mum and Marie had the Beef Nachos. We all visited the “fixins bar” but I only got cheese and sour cream. The restaurant was really busy but Mum & Dad went off to find a table. They seat 4 but aren’t really big enough given the amount of food you have to spread across it! I found it particularly difficult to make up my fajitas with the limited space. We all really enjoyed this but again it was too much and we struggled to finish. We could easily have shared but having not been recently we didn’t know until we got the food.

We all chose the churros for dessert and had to pile them up while we ate our mains! These were nice but we really didn’t need dessert and didn’t manage them all.

I really liked Pecos Bill and hope to eat there again next year. I didn’t make a note of cost but mine alone would have cost nearly $25 so you can imagine. Instead it cost 4 QS credits.

Dinner today was a classic example of one of the reasons we prefer DDP over QSDP and why we like making ADRs – we couldn’t make up our minds where to go. We had planned an evening at Disney Springs and hoped to eat in one of the new QS places. We were struggling a bit with finding our way round but managed to find D-Luxe Burger. I’d read good reviews and fancied trying it but wasn’t sure my Mum would be happy there. She was just happy she wasn’t having to make her own dinner so agreed! We got there and there was a bit of a queue but there also seemed to be people milling about the entrance area. It’s a blocked off queueing area a bit like WPE and people were queued back right to the door. A couple at the entrance indicated they weren’t in the queue so we stepped in front of them. A few minutes later they then stepped in front of us! We were looking at the menu at this point and from what we could see fries weren’t included for a QS credit and that kind of annoyed me. There only appeared to be one person serving and given we were now back at the end of the queue I got irritated and said I wanted to go somewhere else. There’s so much choice in DS I didn’t want to have go through this much bother so we decided to go elsewhere. That was a bit of a mistake because now we were undecided again. We had 3 Landry cards, 2 with $50 credit and 1 with $25 credit so I suggested using one of the $50 credits towards a meal at either T-Rex or Rainforest Café. Given Marie & I have always had nice meals at RFC we went there. With the Landry card we were seated straight away.

To drink I ordered a strawberry lemonade as a change from diet coke. This was nice.

We were hungry so got a plate of mozzarella sticks to share. These were tasty and enough for 4 of us while we waited.

Me, Dad and Marie all got the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger. This is a nice burger and we all enjoyed it.

Mum got the Parmesan Chicken which she was enjoying until she got to a point where she thought the chicken looked undercooked. The manager had come over before we ate as they always do if you’re a Landry Select member but they were nowhere to be seen at this point. The server came over and Mum wasn’t saying anything so I pointed it out by very obviously using the torch on my phone to have a good look at the chicken. He didn’t really say anything but the next thing a different manager came over and offered to comp us dessert as an apology. No mention of comping the undercooked chicken. I knew from Mum’s reaction she didn’t want a fuss so we declined the dessert, asked for the check, paid up and left.

With the $50 credit this cost us $50 so half the overall cost. I was really disappointed with this meal both with the quality and the managers response. Undercooked chicken is not only unpleasant it’s dangerous and I didn’t think a free dessert was good enough. They didn’t even really apologise properly. I’m not one to make a big fuss normally but if it had just been me and Marie I would have. I didn’t because Mum just wanted to leave it.

When we went back to OKW we made up for it by having this for dessert. Sorry but we had already starting eating it when I remembered to take a photo! We always get one of these Oreo Cookies and Cream pies when we’re over there even on DDP!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 6 - Universal and DHS

Today was our first Universal day so nothing booked food wise and we planned to head to DHS later for the Star Wars fireworks so didn’t want a dinner planned. We had breakfast in the villa again. Late morning we found ourselves in Diagon Alley and fancied some ice cream. We had considered Florean Fortescues but the queue was out the door and there’s nowhere to site nearby. Me, Marie and Mum had been to the Harry Potter studio tour earlier this year and enjoyed the butterbeer ice cream so we headed to the The Hopping Pot. It took me ages of searching to find out the name of this place. It’s the counter place in DA near the mermaid water fountain and it serves various drinks including butterbeer plus butterbeer ice cream and has picnic tables outside. We all got a cold Butterbeer each and shared two Butterbeer ice creams.

I can’t find the receipt for this one but 2 Butterbeer cost $11.98 so I’m guessing it was around $37. This was another one of those nice moments on holiday when you manage to get a seat somewhere and just sit enjoying your food and drink. An ice cream between 2 of us was enough and they were really nice.

By lunchtime we’d pretty much done what we could at US as it was so busy. Mum decided there wasn’t much at Universal for her so she wasn’t going to come the second day we had planned. In view of that I suggested we pop out to Bubba Gumps for lunch to use our other $50 Landry credit and recharge before spending the afternoon in IoA so she could at least see it. It wasn’t busy at Bubba Gumps so we didn’t bother showing the card. We did make sure the server knew though so we could have the rewards taken off.

Mum & I chose the Shrimpers Heaven which is 4 types of shrimp – coconut, chilly, fried and tempura and it comes with fries. We really underestimated how big this would be! I managed some of each kind and Marie tried a couple (she doesn’t do seafood so was being adventurous!). Mum is a slow eater at the best of times but we were there for ages as she worked her way round! Dad ended up having to help her.

Dad had Fish & Chips. Again this was enormous! My Dad is old-fashioned enough to feel like he has to clear his plate so he struggled a bit.

Marie had Southern Fried Chicken and asked to sub the mash for fries. They forgot to do that but brought a side of fries on the house which came out immediately. You’ve guessed it! This was also enormous and not helped by the “extra” fries.

We all enjoyed this but it was just too much food. I had a little of Marie’s mash as I love the mash over there so we all kind of helped each other out but we just didn’t manage it all. Needless to say there was no dessert! This was a much more pleasant meal than RFC but cost us $50 again with the reward of $50. Unfortunately the portion sizes put us off and we didn’t make a return trip however Marie and I will both have $25 birthday rewards next year so will probably give it another go.

By the time we got home from Universal we were able for dessert so had some of the Oreo Cookies and Cream pie. Later at DHS we found ourselves in need of something just before the fireworks but didn’t want anything too big given our huge lunch. You know I’m going to say it but we should have just shared! Instead we went to Bill & Min’s Dockside Diner as it was close to the stage where the fireworks are and used a QS credit each (so 4 in total) but with a bit of sharing.

Marie and I shared Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese which was on a separate menu to the main one and beef nachos.

Mum & Dad shared Pulled Pork Sliders and the Pulled Pork Mac n Cheese.

Dessert was frozen lemonade, a milkshake or you could sub for mac n cheese. I didn’t really want any of those but you kind of don’t get a choice but to take something. We ended up with a mac n cheese which we thought Dad might eat and 3 frozen lemonades. These weren’t the solid, sorbet type frozen lemonades we’d had in other QS places but more like slushies so just an additional drink.

Again this was more food than we needed and we didn’t seem to be learning any lessons! I think it was probably down to not pre-planning but making decisions while in the queue with people gathering behind you. We had the credits to spare so it wasn’t really an issue.

Trip Report Index
Old 13 Oct 16, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 7 - Kennedy Space Centre & OKW

Today Dad, Marie and I were going to Kennedy Space Centre. We had dinner booked later at Olivia’s as we reckoned that would be the easiest on a Saturday night and didn’t think we could be bothered going out of the resort. Breakfast was in the villa before we left.
Lunch was at the Moon Rock Café which is in the Saturn V/Apollo exhibit area. It was before 12 but we were hungry and thought it was a good idea to avoid the rush. It’s a counter service so we all went up on our own and paid separately.
I got the chicken tenders meal which included fries and a drink and despite not being on DDP got a dessert too which was chocolate with a ?vanilla cream. This was nice and I enjoyed it but I didn’t need the cake.

Marie got a hot dog and fries but no dessert. She said this was fine.

Dad finally got his sandwich and cup of tea! They had prepacked sandwiches which just looked normal! He got egg mayo and bought a Snickers for his dessert which turned out to be a twin pack so Marie ate one. I don't have a picture for some reason.

Mine cost $12.87 and included a drink – the chicken tenders meal was $7.79 which I thought was really good and there was a lot of choice here. Because it was early we got a seat no bother.

We got home in plenty of time for our dinner ADR at Olivia’s. We’d decided to keep this despite having been on arrival day as we’d had the lunch menu then and now we’d get the dinner menu.

That includes the lovely pineapple bread which is now small rolls rather than a loaf. We still enjoyed it though and I could have eaten more.

Mum and I had the New York Strip Steak and both subbed the mash that it now comes with for the Olivia’s Potatoes it used to come with. This was no problem. We both enjoyed it and Mum commented on how nice a steak it was.

Dad also had the steak but stuck to the mash.

Marie had the Buttermilk Chicken that Mum had the week before but subbed the mash for fries.

For dessert Dad & Marie had the Banana Bread Pudding again so I don’t have a picture.

I had the Flourless Chocolate Cake. This was nice.

Mum had the Key Lime Tart which she enjoyed.

Overall a lovely meal at Olivia’s again. We always enjoy it here and I think it’s a hidden gem. I find I could probably eat here a few times on holiday while staying at OKW and makes me wish I had DxDDP! It would have cost $172.27 but cost us 4 TS credits and we left $32.35 tip.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 03:36 PM. Reason: correcting an error
Old 13 Oct 16, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 8 - shopping & The Yacht Club

Today was going to be a lazy day but we did have dinner booked at The Yachtsman later. We had breakfast in the villa taking full advantage of the kitchen and Marie’s waffle maker. We all had scrambled egg, bacon and waffles.

Lunch was another frustrating trip to an outlets food court. Frustrating because it wasn’t great and also because we had to pay for it and had loads of credits left! As before it was just timing. We were there at lunch time and weren’t nearly ready to go back to Disney so we just had to pay up. Marie, Mum and I all got something from one of the Oriental food counters but Dad just wanted a sandwich and a cup of tea which was practically impossible so he just gave up and sat down. In the end he ate our left overs.

I had Bourbon Chicken & Mongolian Chicken with fried rice. It was ok. I liked the Bourbon better than the Mongolian. I did pay for it the following day too with a dodgy tummy.

Mum got orange chicken and fried rice (no pic).

Marie got Sesame Chicken and Fried rice.

It was just ok. I don’t remember the cost but I think mine was around $11.

Dinner was our third signature at The Yachtsman. Mum really liked the setting at the Yacht Club. We were seated very quickly and again our server was very friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

We were brought the fabulous onion rolls with both butter and roasted garlic. I didn’t think the roasted garlic was as nice as I’d remembered so stuck to butter.

As with Narcoossee’s we were able to sub our desserts for soup or salad so everyone except Dad went for that. Marie and Mum got the lobster bisque and I got the Caesar salad. Both enjoyable and just the right size. As you can see I didn't learn my lesson from Narcoossee's and didn't get the lobster bisque again.

Mum and Marie both chose the 6oz Black Angus Filet Mignon with mashed potatoes. They both said it was an excellent steak.

We also got a side of truffle mac and cheese. Sorry for the blurry photo.

I had been planning for ages that Dad and I would share the 32 oz PorterHouse for two. He wasn’t sure and I kind of bullied him into it by saying it was my only chance as Marie would never get it! He was going to get steak anyway! With the porterhouse you get 3 sides which were mushrooms, caramelised onions and creamed spinach. You also get beef fat potatoes. This was amazing! With the size of the bone I didn’t think this was particularly a huge steak to share between two and Dad and I managed it no bother. We all shared the sides and Marie gave me some of her mash which was even better.

What was left.

Since Dad was the only one to go for dessert the waitress was joking that he’d have to share it with us and brought 4 spoons. He chose the Yachtsman Sundae so finally got his ice cream. This was chocolate, vanilla and strawberry gelato and he did let us all share it! It was really nice and all I could manage after our meal anyway.

I really enjoyed The Yachtsman again and it was my stand out signature this trip. It would have cost $284 which included paying OOP for the truffle mac and cheese and Marie got a Mai Tai. Our tip was $57 as we left 20% for our excellent server so it cost 8 TS credits and $80 in total.

Trip Report Index
Old 13 Oct 16, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Mmmm its all looking lovely!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadMummy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Drooling!
Old 13 Oct 16, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 9 - Universal and AKL

This was initially meant to be an Epcot morning with dinner later at Sanaa but we switched things about to go back to Universal on a non HHN day to see if it was quieter. Mum stayed behind to go to DS and laze around the villa. Breakfast was in the villa again.
When we’d activated and registered our Universal annual passes we’d discovered a few discounts, one of which was a buy one get one half price on the QS dining plans. Given our history of ordering meals we could have shared I thought it might be an idea to buy two and just share the food we’d get. You get a QS meal which includes a drink, a snack and another drink. It’s $21.99 for one QS meal plan and we paid $10.99 for the second one. We ended up at Monsters Café, a place we’d never been before. We tried to choose something easy to share and failed miserably. I though the chicken and rib platter would be suitable as it would be big but there wasn’t much eating in it and it was hard to divide between us. The potatoes were horrible.

We also ordered a hot dog which was easy to split but didn’t go far despite being a foot long. It’s a shame too as it was nice.

We were able to share drinks as we all had collapsible cups. Unfortunately I managed to knock mine over and spilt lemonade all over the table and more importantly my crotch. Nice. So all in not a great QS experience at US and we’ve yet to find the place that redeems the QS options at Universal.

We didn’t spend much longer at Universal and hadn’t managed to use the snack or drink portions of the meal plan and the information we’d read on the AP part of the website said it all had to be used in one day. We weren’t sure if that was true but not wanting to take the chance we got some stuff to take away. I was determined to get a giant Lard Lad donut at some point so we headed round there to get one to take away and got two bottled drinks. We kept the other snack credit for Cinnabon at Citywalk where you can get a Classic Cinnabon with it. No picture of that I’m afraid.

This guy did us all for a couple of days with a cup of tea! We all really liked it – more cake like than donut. I was just disappointed we didn’t get another one this trip!

Dinner was Sanaa at AKL. I had wanted to try this for ages but Marie doesn’t really like Indian food so I’d never got the chance. Our plan with Mum & Dad coming was that I’d book it for 4 but if Marie decided she didn’t want to go her and Dad would just go to Olivia’s or get the boat to DS and go somewhere there. Mum was quite happy to try it. Poor Dad didn’t get a choice. In the end Marie decided to give it a go. I think maybe the setting helped.

When we checked in we were offered a window table if we wanted to wait 5 minutes. Since part of the reason for being here was the animals we said yes straight away and waited the 5 mins. This was our view.

Unfortunately there was a storm as soon as we sat down and all the animals disappeared so our view was wasted.

This is the menu.

Our server was very good - friendly and efficient. Drinks wise we were offered some of the more exotic soft drinks so we all had Coconut Elixir which was lovely and I also got a flavoured lemonade which wasn’t as nice. This was free refills too.

I was determined to get the bread service and managed to convince everyone else. I don’t think they realised you got all 5 breads! We chose 3 dips – mango chutney, tamarind chutney and tomato and date jam. We all enjoyed the bread service keeping some naan back for our mains.

For mains Marie, Mum and I got the Potjie Inspired. I chose butter chicken and braised beef with the 5 grain pilaf. This was beautiful. I had eaten the beef and then didn’t have much room for the chicken but I was glad I did as I preferred the sauce the beef came in.

Mum had the butter chicken and Goan seafood curry with basmati rice. She ate the chicken first and like me didn’t have room for the seafood curry. Again like me she was glad she’d eaten it in that order as she didn’t really like the seafood curry.

Marie struggled to choose but went with the butter chicken and paneer tikka. She also had basmati rice. She ate most of the butter chicken but didn’t like the paneer tikka and said the butter chicken was ok.

Dad had the Lamb Shank which he really enjoyed but struggled to finish.

We didn’t have room for dessert so got it to go. Dad and I got the cheesecake. I don’t remember what kind this is but it was just ok.

Marie got the chocolate mousse which she said was horrible.

Mum got the tapioca. I think she said this was ok.

I really liked Sanaa and would love to go back but Marie just doesn’t like this kind of food and this visit didn’t change her mind. We all enjoyed the bread service though, maybe too much as it meant we didn’t have room for our mains! Dessert was a let down but that’s not the end of the world. This would have cost us $178 but we paid 4 TS credits, $12.78 for the bread service and a $33 tip.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 10:22 PM.
Old 13 Oct 16, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
wow lots of updates

I've got my eye on the sharing steak at yachtsman

Shame about rainforest cafe, did you get a survey emailed after using your landrys card may be worth completing as pink chicken is not on at all
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
wow lots of updates

I've got my eye on the sharing steak at yachtsman

Shame about rainforest cafe, did you get a survey emailed after using your landrys card may be worth completing as pink chicken is not on at all
That steak is definitely worth it!

Yes Marie got the survey and completed it but I don't think she's had anything in response. It's not that they didn't try to do something I just think they didn't make enough of a big deal. They didn't even rush to take the plate away.

Trip Report Index