Old 18 May 11, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Christmas shopping, shows & sights in nyc 2010 day 1

Day 1 – Saturday Dec 11th TRAVEL & TIMES SQUARE

Left home at 6.30am – Manchester airport car park by 7am – yeah – we do live close. Tried taxis, lifts, trains etc in the past but been let down so many times, we now prefer to rely on ourselves.
Walked to the Continental check-in. The attendant saw my walking cane & led us to the 1st/business class check in desk which had no queue – good start. We then went to the wheelchair pick-up area & got a chair almost immediately – doing well – sometimes takes ages here.

We then headed to Security. I always get personal attention here because I have some artificial joints (knee & fingers). I did amuse myself doing the hokey cokey with my metal fingers & the scanner before they pulled me out of line & into the inspection area. Do they weed out security applicants with a sense of humour at the job interviews? Took ages to get a security guard to ‘pat me down’ & test my swabs – what are they testing for – did I look feverish? – I don’t mind the mini-massage (pat down) but I wish they had more staff.

Didn’t have much time after this so the DDs parked me near Smiths & rushed round buying essentials - Boots meal deals, drinks, mags etc. We had intended to get b’fast at F & B’s but didn’t have enough time.
Dashed down to the gate where they were waiting for us – wheelchair passengers get boarded early so we don’t run over the able-bodied in the rush to get to our seats (why do some passengers insist on pushing to the front? Do they think they’ll be left behind ). Our bulkhead seats 8DEF were great, the IFE system was excellent, staff were courteous, the food was ok – bit better than Virgin – but for us, the ‘Boots meal deal’ was much better. I don’t know why airlines still serve hot food. Imo a decent picnic meal would be much better.

We left on time & landed at 11.10am. We’re always last off cos we have to wait for wheelchairs so we sat with dropped jaws, watching how quickly passengers got off. Honestly, within seconds of landing, the air bridge was connected, door open & passengers were ‘legging it’ down the tunnel! I have never seen a plane empty so fast. Our wheelchair/porter arrived & we were whisked thru immigration. Only took 3 attempts to get green light fingerprints – yeah! Everybody knows that fingerprints don’t change but since my fingers have changed – arthritis/metal joints etc, I’ve had constant problems with fingerprint & Disney/Univ biometric scanners– go figure

DDs collected the cases & my porter Monica, took us to the taxi rank. She took us via a very strange route – no other people around & cynical me was worried she was taking us to her cousin’s/uncle’s etc taxi – to be ripped off but (sorry Monica) she took us to an official taxi rank where there was no queue. We were in that taxi by 11.50am, how good is that? Gave Monica the usual $10 tip & she seemed fine with that.

Taxi cost was $57 + tolls $11.25 + tip= $80. As mentioned previously, we decided not to pre-book transport (poss cheaper?) as I can’t stand around for too long. The traffic was slow/heavy especially through the Lincoln Tunnel but I didn’t care. I was here at last. I’d have been singing aloud if my DDs weren’t there so I had to sing to myself – “start spreading the news………..”

I’ve forgotten what time we got to the Novotel but the room wasn’t ready – we were far too early for the 3pm checking. The receptionist said come back in an hour so we left our luggage with the concierge & walked out into Times Square.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Holidays 2010 117.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	32375

Wow, what can I say? Some cynics think it’s tacky, too touristy etc – so what, I’m a tourist & loved it. It was just magical to be there. Didn’t mind the crowds – the atmosphere was buzzing – it was incredible. There were several ‘Homeless Charity’ collectors around so we picked the one that looked most legit & dropped a few dollars in the bucket, every day when we went past. We walked round, checking out the shops & then made our 1st & only mistake (imo) of the holiday- yep – we walked into Toy’s R Us on a December Saturday afternoon –doh! I realised our mistake as soon as we got inside –well the gridlocked ground floor was a clue - & decided to leave – but we couldn’t turn round /// There was a one way system in operation & we were forced to go with the flow til we thankfully, got to the exit. I think my feet weren’t actually touching the floor at times as we were so packed in – bit like sardines & twister combined The DDs were really worried about me but I managed.

Throughout the holiday, I always had at least one bodyguard glued to my arm but I found that the Americans were always considerate & courteous once they noticed my walking stick & I didn’t get knocked over or anything.

We then repaired to Starbucks for some much needed Lattes & our 1st purchase, a few souvenirs before returning to the hotel at around 2pm.

The Novotel is located on the corner of Broadway & 52nd St. By coincidence, the plot opposite on 52nd, used to be Abe Atell’s bar. He was a famous boxer & I have a great photo of my F-I-L in his Navy uniform, another Navy friend & an American soldier in the bar, taken during WW2. It looks like a still from ‘Anchors Aweigh’. I was hoping a bar would still be on the site so I could take a photo for my F-I-L but it’s just boring offices now.

Our room still wasn’t ready, so we decided to have a drink in the bar. Everton v Wigan was on the tv & DD2 & I are football supporters – ManU - but we’ll watch any football (almost) so we were ok. DD1 just dozed. The receptionist had said another 30 mins but it still wasn’t ready so we waited (impatiently) until 3pm (official check-in time) & it still wasn’t ready. Eventually, at 3.25pm, we checked in & went up to our room, where I got another surprise – we had a fabulous Times Square view – (sorry I can’t post the photo) –it was so exciting – I spent a lot of time just staring out of this window, watching how the square changed at different times of day. DD2 then told me that they’d paid extra for the view but we were originally on the 11th floor. She had just blagged an upgrade to the 21st floor after complaining about the late check in

The room was very nice, bigger than we expected & from the window, we could keep checking the queues at Ellen’s Stardust! DD2 had picked the Novotel, purely for the location – as it was central to many of the places we wanted to visit.

DD1 was feeling a bit ropey – both DDs were in the last stages of a flu bug they’d recently picked up in Florida – so she decided to go to bed & DD2 & I wandered out in search of sustenance. We found a deli on 8th & 52nd called New Cosmic Diner & got 2 meals, drinks & a pizza (for DD1) for $28 – bargain. There was a very convenient Duane Reade next to our hotel so we picked up some drinks/biscuits & went back to our room.

Tried to watch tv but it couldn’t compete with the view outside. The neon signs, bustling crowds, music, fire engine & police sirens were just mesmerising – like being in the middle of a movie shoot. Gave in at 9pm & reluctantly went to bed. Like a child at Xmas, I just didn’t want the day to end.

(SORRY TRIED YET AGAIN TO IMPORT PHOTOS. I'VE GOT THEM ALL READY ON DESKTOP BUT I CAN'T FIND THIS URL ADDRESS THINGY. CAN ANYONE HELP?)

Edited at 08:20 PM. Reason: add photo
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 11, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow sounds like a fab first day, can't wait to hear the rest!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 11, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
What a good day for you, hope you slept well.

Sorry Im no use at posting piccies up.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 11, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Hiya, i think if you are passholder you can just attach them to your post? For non pass holders, you have to upload them to a photo sharing site like photobucket, then copy and paste the [img] code into your report!
Old 20 May 11, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Fab Day!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 11, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh we will be there in 4 days we are also sitting in the extra leg room seats in 8E and F glad to hear they were great . . . reading trippies makes me so excited ahead of our first time
Old 25 Jun 11, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Great first day
Old 25 Jun 11, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List