Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 Oct 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great report looking forward to reading more
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
Great report looking forward to reading more
Thanks!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 8 - Sunshine Seasons, El Mercado de Coronado

Quite a short one today.

Since we’d cancelled Garden Grill breakfast was what was left of Marie’s Banana Nut Bread between us with a coffee from the coffee maker.

Since that wasn’t much of a breakfast we popped to Sunshine Seasons after Soarin’. I got French Toast with bacon and Marie got the kids breakfast which I wish I’d got. It was actually about the same size portion except she had one slice of French toast and scrambled eggs.

This was fine, typical QS breakfast.

Epcot was busy as it was Saturday. Normally we’d have avoided it but it fit in with our Dolphin stay. We wanted to try some more Food & Wine booths but didn’t get very far. It was heaving and the queues were ridiculous. We agreed to get at least one thing and as we passed the Refreshment Port the queue didn’t seem awful. They serve 3 different poutines but only the traditional one is a snack credit so we got one each. There’s also duck confit poutine and beef brisket poutine. The queuing system here was ridiculous when it’s busy. Unlike other F&W booths this is just a normal kiosk so you receive your food where you order. This meant loads of people trying to squeeze into a small area. We got a bit grumpy while we waited an age for our poutine.

We found a bench in Canada to eat this. It was nice but the Daily Poutine is better. Of course it’s a snack credit where the Daily Poutine is a QS credit so it’s better value.

We left Epcot after this as it was just too busy and popped to the Boardwalk to get some ice cream from Ample Hills. 2 scoops in a tub is a snack credit. The CM also explained what cones were snacks but I don’t remember. I think most of them are. I got Sally Sells Seashells which is orange with chocolate shells and Vanilla Bean.

Marie got Peppermint Pattie and Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.

This was really nice and actually I think I prefer the straight vanilla. It was lovely and creamy.

Dinner was at the resort as we wanted to just chill so we went to El Mercado de Coronado. We decided to split beef nachos and a cheese pizza. We subbed one of the drinks for fries and the other for a donut to share.

The nachos were fine but the pizza wasn’t great. We didn’t really like the flavour of the tomato sauce.
We had the donut back in the room with a cup of tea. It was fine.

Credits used – 4 QS, 4 snacks

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 9 - The Boathouse & Pizzafari

After a busy few days today was planned as a later start at AK. We didn’t have much in the room for breakfast other than the mini
cinnamon rolls so had a couple of those.

We didn’t have anything else until lunch time when we went to Disney Springs. We fancied Chicken Guy but being Saturday the queue was out the door. We reckoned all the QS would be busy but had a quick look at D-Luxe burger. Again the queue was out the door. I suggested we look for a TS place hoping that Homecomin’ would have availability but no joy. The Boathouse had a table at 1pm though so we booked that as I’d read some dining reports that some of the items were quite reasonably priced for a signature. We were early but just went straight there and checked in. We weren’t showing up yet as we’d just booked and to be honest I think we’d have got a walk up no bother as it didn’t look that busy. We were shown to a table in an area with only a couple of other tables occupied.

We were brought some soft rolls to start. These were sweet so Marie avoided them. I tucked in as I was starving.

We had a browse of the menu and decided to get a cup of the lobster bisque each. This was really nice but the Yachtsman was better.

Marie ordered the Club Sandwich as her main and I ordered the cod and chips.

The chips were terrible. They had a seasoning that neither of us enjoyed and just really weren’t great quality. Marie enjoyed the Club Sandwich but I didn’t like the cod. Now I’ve grown up with my Mum saying she doesn’t like cod so we’ve always had haddock. Haddock tends to be what is served up here as fish and chips. So I always assumed I didn’t like cod either as we’re often led by our parents taste. So I’m thinking maybe I do like cod. No I don’t. It was pretty tasteless. Give me haddock any day!

Overall the Boathouse was a bit of a disappointment that cost us $75. Our server was a tad surly although he was professional enough and seemed to warm up a bit. Maybe it annoyed him that we didn’t order alcohol in the middle of the day. I know I was annoyed that we didn’t just go to a QS. I still am nearly 4 weeks later!

After DS we popped to Publix for some breakfast items and Marie wanted some throat sweets as she was developing a cold. We got chocolate croissants and mini banana nut muffins. We also got dessert items. Marie got Tiramisu and I got Strawberry Shortcake.

We had one of the mini muffins with a cup of tea in the room.

I had booked the Pizzafari family style meal for dinner today as it looked good value for a QS credit. We did a couple of rides then headed to check in. There was a short queue to check in then we were shown the menu and directed to a cashier to pay. This took ages and ages and even more ages. No one in front of us seemed to have looked into what was included or looked at the menu the CM had handed them so they all had a million questions. One group who were two families couldn’t decide how many of the meals they wanted and kept going back and forth. I thought I would die in that queue. The best of it was, the regular cashiers weren’t busy just the family style dining one!

Anyway, after turning 80 in the queue we were finally served and took about 30 seconds to tell the server we wanted a cheese pizza, diet coke and sprite. I had read that it was pepperoni pizza and if you wanted cheese you had to get the vegetarian option. This wasn’t the case and we were given a choice of cheese, pepperoni and another meat one I think. I don’t seem to have made a note. We were given a table number in a separate section to regular dining.

The starter was caprese salad (tomato and mozzarella with balsamic vinegar) and Caesar Salad.

This was a really big portion of each and more than enough for 2. We didn’t eat it all to avoid filling up. Marie didn’t eat any of the Caprese salad as she didn’t fancy it.

Next we were brought the chicken alfredo pasta and the baked ziti then the pizza. We were also brought the cannoli at this point.

The alfredo was nice but not that hot. The ziti was fine. The pizza would have been lovely however the tomato sauce was spicy, hot spicy and far too hot for me. I actually had to check with a CM that it was supposed to be spicy. He said just a little but this was really hot. Even Marie thought it was a bit hot and she’s more tolerant of heat than me.
We tried the cannoli and it was fine but it wouldn’t be my first choice dessert.

It was such a shame the pizza was so spicy as this would have been a really nice meal that we’d probably repeat. Now I’m a bit reluctant although I get it may be something that’s chef dependent.

That was pretty much it for food today as we were pretty full up.

Credits used – 2 QS
OOP - $75 plus whatever we spent at Publix.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 10:22 PM.
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The Boathouse does sound disappointing you would probably have had better fish & chips from Cookes! Shame the pizza was spicy too, you definitely had a bit of a mixed bag foodwise.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
The Boathouse does sound disappointing you would probably have had better fish & chips from Cookes! Shame the pizza was spicy too, you definitely had a bit of a mixed bag foodwise.
It was. The pizza was disappointing for me but then others may have enjoyed it.
The Boathouse I’m annoyed at because I actually went in aiming to get the filet steak sliders! I may give it another chance for those but the fries were not to my taste.

Trip Report Index
Old 19 Oct 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Thanks for putting on review of Pizzafari we are going Tuesday and dd will prefer cheese pizza so that’s great info thanks.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Thanks for putting on review of Pizzafari we are going Tuesday and dd will prefer cheese pizza so that’s great info thanks.
You’re welcome. Hope you enjoy! It’s definitely good value for a QS credit and if paying OOP for a large group you could pay for less meals as it’s not all you can eat so there should be no issue with that.

Trip Report Index
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Day 10 - Margaritaville & Wolfgang Pucks Express

Today was Universal and we wanted to try and get there early so had breakfast in the room of one of the chocolate croissants and a mini muffin.

We started the day in Islands of Adventure but when we started to get hungry for second breakfast we realised there really isn’t anywhere unless you go back round to the entrance. The 3 Broomsticks change to lunch at 10.30am! I mean 10.30am! That’s mid-morning! Of course I already knew that because we ended up with lunch there several years ago at 10.30am!

Anyway, we got the Hogwarts Express to Universal Studios as there are better in-park options there in my opinion. We went to the San Francisco Pastry Co which is close to Diagon Alley. We both got a croissant and jam and a cappuccino. We had upgraded our tickets to annual passes, one being the preferred, and so got 10% off this. It came to $13.

We sat outside eating this listening to an English family complain to each other that they could only get one beer per person and complaining about the price.

A wee while later while in Diagon Alley we decided that we needed Butterbeer and Butterbeer Ice Cream because, let’s face it, that’s why we had bought Universal tickets! We went to the Hopping Pot which wasn’t too busy although there’s not much seating and we ended up on the steps nearby which isn’t ideal with an ice cream and a drink. This was really expensive although I can’t find the receipt. Butterbeer alone is $8.50 so I think we were over $30 for 2 drinks and 2 ice creams. We were able to get the AP discount here though.

I love Butterbeer Ice Cream. I would love to be eating that right now!

We were pretty much done by lunchtime so decided to eat at Citywalk on the way out. We went to Margaritaville as I had been sent a $5 off $25 spend for my birthday being a member of the Fins Up Club.

We were both a bit lazy and had the Cheeseburger in Paradise. We do like it though. This with a soft drink each cost $37 with the discount and before tip.

We went to Disney Springs for dinner again and decided on Wolfgang Pucks Express which is a favourite of ours and we hadn’t managed that far round yet!
I got the Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf as usual which come with mashed potato and Marie got the half roast chicken subbing the mash for fries. I also paid OOP for a chocolate chip cookie which was $2. I really love their cookies!

This was nice but not particularly hot. A common complaint at normal QS but I expect better at the kind where you order and they bring the food to you.

Once back at the resort we had a cup of tea. Marie had some of her Tiramisu from Publix and I had a quarter of my Strawberry Shortcake (spoiler alert – I didn’t ever finish this before it went out of date).

Credits used – 2 QS
OOP – about $85 at Universal

Trip Report Index
Old 20 Oct 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Butterbeer ice cream. How have I never come across this?! That will have to go on the food to do list.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List