Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If you book it you will go. Sept 2019. Day 7 - DHS

The dining report for today is here.

Today was my birthday. We planned originally on a 6am start at DHS but now we knew it wasn’t necessary so set the alarm for 5.30am. I didn’t sleep great but I think it was that first night in a strange bed. We got ready and had our cinnamon rolls from the Yacht Club with a coffee from the machine in the room. We decided to eat on the balcony however as it was still dark a moth appeared and put paid to that. It was massive!

Marie gave me my birthday card.

We got the boat to DHS as one was just arriving as we passed the boat dock. It took about 10 minutes. Bag check and the tapstiles were quiet so it wasn’t long before we were in the park, about 7.20am. Smuggler’s Run was showing a 25 minute wait so we just went straight to Galaxy’s Edge. Of course by the time we got there it was 50 minutes. We decided just to queue and we were on and off within 35 minutes. We were gunners again which was a bit disappointing and I think I was more annoyed than I needed to be. I think seeing that the pilots have a completely different experience and it doesn’t really seem fair that your experience is based on random selection. More thoughts on that later.

We spent some time looking in some of the shops and generally hanging about.

We passed the Milk Stand so decided now was the time to try it. We got one of each and both agreed the blue was better.

While we were sitting on the wall drinking it we saw the resistance spy.

By now Smugglers Run was 25 minutes again so we went on again. The ladies in front were discussing which role they wanted as they’d ridden before. Two of the 3 wanted engineers as they’d not had that before. The other had been a pilot but wasn’t bothered. We said we’d only ever been gunners so they agreed to swap with us if they got pilots which I thought was really kind. They did and we got to be pilots. I think we thanked them about a dozen times! So it was a completely different experience being pilots. You do have to spend more time concentrating and while I think there are set moves (for example if you don’t pull the hyperdrive lever you still go into hyperspace) it does also make a difference if you move the joystick. While you do get a bit more enjoyment you also feel responsible for other people’s enjoyment too so that takes away from it a bit.

After we’d ridden Smuggler’s Run the second time we left GE and went to Toy Story Land for breakfast as we were at that end. We went to Woody’s Lunchbox and shared the Breakfast Bowl and Turkey sandwich.
It was now time for our second FP (first was the Little Mermaid thing again which we let lapse) which was Star Tours so we walked via Galaxy’s Edge as it feels quicker.
We saw Rey.

We popped into the Droid Factory so I could get the purple decals for my droid but they didn't have them. We spent some time watching R2 D2.

And waited for Kylo Ren to come out of his shuttle.

After we’d ridden that we headed back across to Toy Story Land for our Slinky Dog Dash FP (yes it did feel like we were back and forward!). As we passed the theatre where the Frozen sing along is we saw one of the janitorial CMs singing happy birthday down on one knee to a guest. Marie laughed as I hurried past with my birthday badge on hoping he wouldn’t see me!

While in the queue for SDD I managed to get a FP for Toy Story Mania for a few minutes later so we were able to go straight there.

We hadn’t managed to catch the Galaxy Far, Far Away show yet and the timings weren’t really fitting in however we managed to make it round to the stage just after it started and saw most of it.

After we decided it was lunch time and sat on a bench close to Dockside Diner deciding where to go. While we sat the CM who had been singing happy birthday earlier on spotted my birthday badge. He asked how many times I’d been wished a happy birthday, I replied “loads” and he asked if I’d been wished happy birthday the special way. I knew what was coming and just had to endure him singing happy birthday while Marie videoed the whole thing.

After that we decided Dockside Diner was close so we went there for some nachos.

Since we were close anyway we went in to Frozen. As we sat down a teenage boy who looked like death was being taken out by his Dad. I commented to Marie he looked like he was about to be sick. We realised quite quickly that he already had as the rest of the row started to stand up. Poor guy. We all moved into a different row while the staff arranged for it to be cleaned. They were pretty good at doing it without taking anything away from the show.

We really enjoy this show. I love both the comedy and the singing, I think they do a really good job.

We left the park after that and walked back to the Dolphin via Boardwalk as Marie had seen a vest in the shop she wanted to buy. We popped into Fuel at the Dolphin for a cup of tea and a cake or biscuit to have with it.

We chilled in the room for a wee while with a plan to have a nap if we felt the need since we had the Star Wars Dessert Party later. We didn’t really feel tired enough so watched some Supernatural on Netflix (which we don’t have at home on Netflix). We cancelled our Garden Grill breakfast ADR for the next morning and I made a FP for Toy Story Mania later. I then changed my mind and managed to convince Marie we should give Tower of Terror a go so changed it. I made it for 6pm thinking that would be time enough to have dinner before our Oga’s Cantina booking at 7ish.

We left for the park about 5ish and decided just to walk as it wasn’t too hot and we were well rested.

We went to Tower of Terror via the shops and rode it with the FP after a short wait. I really enjoy this ride but Marie not so much. She says it’s the anticipation of the drops more than the actual drops.

Next we popped into Rosie’s All-American Café for dinner. We shared chicken nuggets and fries not wanting to spoil our appetites for the dessert party. While eating I managed to grab another FP for Toy Story Mania.

It was time for our Oga’s Cantina booking now so we headed to Galaxy’s Edge. This is what I posted in the dining report.

We checked in and had a bit of a wait outside. We were then shown to a space at the bar and given menus.

This was a bit cramped as the woman next to me had a back pack on and was standing side on so I ended up having to stand back a bit. We both ordered the Jabba Juice.

This is Simply Orange with Pineapple, Kiwi, Cantaloupe and Blueberry Popping Pearls. I had considered the Blurrgfire which is Odwalla Lemonade, Pomegranate Juice and Habanero-Lime. The bar tender warned me it was hot, I asked “how hot?”, he said “well it has habanero in it”. I have no idea what habanero is so didn’t want to risk it. I don’t do hot spicy. The Jabba Juice was really nice but we were so uncomfortable in there we drank it in about 10 minutes. Having to stand in the same place because that’s where you’ve been allocated is just plain annoying, especially when larger parties seem to get the seats. It was like any other bar, noisy and crowded. We decided to finish our drinks and use the rest of our allocated time to have a look round but it was tiny and the other side of the bar looked the same as our side. I did not enjoy this experience and won’t be doing it again. I'm not a bar person at home and I've written in my notes "won't be back as my idea of hell"!

After Oga’s we went round to Toy Story Land for our TSM FP. We went to the restroom first where a wee boy had been sick pretty much everywhere. It was really difficult to avoid it and by now we were starting to feel like vomit was following us around! Bizarrely considering all the kids and sugar we’ve never seen anyone being sick or having been sick in 23 years of visiting WDW. Now twice in one day!
We left Toy Story Land as it was starting to get dark and got some photos in the dark.

And then Galaxy's Edge in the dark.

It was soon time to check in for the dessert party. This is taken from the dining report.

We were directed inside to the seated area within the Launch Bay and given our table number. The tables were solely for the use of your party so no need to share with strangers.

We both grabbed a small plate of savoury items before grabbing some desserts. Marie had a couple of cocktails and I had one of the non-alcoholic ones. I was really full quickly again. I think it must be all the sugar. We sat for a wee while enjoying watching the Stormtroopers and went to meet Darth Vader. A FP for this is included (your lanyard acts as your FP) although it wasn’t busy anyway. After we’d met the boss we forced some more desserts down. I really wanted the nitro hazelnut mousse so managed to eat that.

We were led out to the viewing area about 15 minutes before the Wonderful World of Animation show. We were given a bottle of water and a Darth Vader cup thing. I had also taken a can of Diet Coke and a coffee out with me. The viewing area is right at the front where the stage normally sits. There’s a small ledge all the way round in front of the railing which makes it a bit easier to sit down but we were towards the back of the line so either had to sit on the ground or at the side. Sitting at the side on the ledge and leaning on the railing was more comfortable, plus I didn’t think I’d get back up again if I sat on the ground! The disadvantage was there were areas we couldn’t see very well.
This is the only (really bad) picture I have of the viewing area.

Overall, I enjoyed the dessert party again. I don’t really get my money’s worth though as I don’t drink alcohol and I find the sugar fills me up really quickly. I wish they would do a party instead of a dessert party specifically and have more savoury items. I think I’d be able to eat more!.

We left after the fireworks and got the boat as one was just about to leave. I also wasn’t sure how well lit the path was but actually it looked fine.

We got back to the Dolphin and waited about 15 minutes on a lift despite there being 6 of them. Once we finally got to the room I wrote up some trip notes then crashed out.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 08:07 PM.
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Fab day - love how you've been able to grab all these extra fast passses!

We did the Desert Party in 2016 and loved it. We both like cocktails though. I think from what I've read the viewing area has changed so I'm not sure we'll do it again next year.

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ariel's Mum View Post
Fab day - love how you've been able to grab all these extra fast passses!

We did the Desert Party in 2016 and loved it. We both like cocktails though. I think from what I've read the viewing area has changed so I'm not sure we'll do it again next year.
We definitely got good use of the FP system!

The dessert party is better now there’s dedicated indoor seating but the viewing area isn’t the best.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kat90
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great day! That birthday card 😍
kat90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It seems like a lovely birthday in spite of the fact that you encountered sick, twice! Yuck! Still it really did seem like you had fun in the studios today. I'm glad the 2nd ride you got to be pilots after swapping with the other riders, what a lovely thing for them to do. The dessert party does sound like it would be more fun if you had some savoury bits as well as the sweet items, or if you liked cocktails but even so there's only so many of them you can drink. It's why I've never bothered taking the kids as for 4 people the price really sky rockets. Still, worth it for a a birthday celebration.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by kat90 View Post
Great day! That birthday card 😍
I know! It stayed up all holiday!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It seems like a lovely birthday in spite of the fact that you encountered sick, twice! Yuck! Still it really did seem like you had fun in the studios today. I'm glad the 2nd ride you got to be pilots after swapping with the other riders, what a lovely thing for them to do. The dessert party does sound like it would be more fun if you had some savoury bits as well as the sweet items, or if you liked cocktails but even so there's only so many of them you can drink. It's why I've never bothered taking the kids as for 4 people the price really sky rockets. Still, worth it for a a birthday celebration.
It was a good day and made better by being able to walk back to the hotel to recharge.
I really like the dessert party but it’s such an extravagance!

Trip Report Index
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Happy belated birthday.

Fab that you finally got to be pilots and I love how thrifty you were at getting the FP's

It seems like a lovely day apart from the sicky children! Xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
Happy belated birthday.

Fab that you finally got to be pilots and I love how thrifty you were at getting the FP's

It seems like a lovely day apart from the sicky children! Xx
Thank you!

It definitely takes a little work to get the best out the FP system but it's worth it.

Trip Report Index
Old 24 Dec 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
A full on Star Wars themed birthday! Glad to see the dessert party has seating.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
A full on Star Wars themed birthday! Glad to see the dessert party has seating.
It was fab!

Trip Report Index