Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Day2 NYC Sightseeing

Day2 Monday 30th January
Today’s Highlights Circle Line Cruise/Grand Central terminal/ESB/Un Building tour/Romantic Meal
Weather very cold but bright and sunny and dry
I woke pretty early about 6am and browsed the internet it was $28 for 3 days and connection was good, Jacquie got up about 8am, we skipped breakfast and headed out well wrapped up to exchange my voucher for our NYC pass booklet, closest place was TOTR, due to watching weather forecasts we decided to head to pier to do the circle line cruise at 10am, unfortunately the girl at the desk when we exchanged our voucher for our booklet also redeemed our TOTR ticket despite telling her we didn’t want to redeem it just yet so she had to reissue a ticket we could use later in week, we walked down to the pier as we assumed that the timetable would be the same as in the past and it was as the cruise was due to leave at 10am after mandatory picture taking we boarded the boat for our 2 hour cruise they weren’t selling the refillable mug probably because it would have cost them in hot drinks, on the boat I bought a hot chocolate and cream cheese bagel $5 (not cheap here), we had an enjoyable two hour cruise captain was pretty good at narrating and as the cruise wasn’t full pretty of great views available

highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 11, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
After our cruise we looked at the pictures they had taken but passed on buying them, we headed back up to the city centre on the way we popped into a 7/11 and bought a juice and two donuts $2.50 (that’s cheap), we had a wander through Bryant Park and watched the ice skaters but decided against embarrassing ourselves.

We then headed to the Empire State Building no queues or waiting here

We spent about 30 mins here just enjoying the views and wishing they had a Starbucks or a bar (bet it’d be busy), Jacquie but a new fleece from the gift store a bargain at $15 reduced from $30 and we bought the picture package incl fridge magnet set for $25

We then headed over to Grand Central Terminal passing by the NYC Public Library , and doing some window shopping. We only spent a few minutes in the Terminal before heading over to Tequillaville for a couple of beers before our UN Tour

We walked over to the UN building for our 4pm tour, from the outside the building isn’t that impressive looking, we passed through usual security checks and checked in for our tour, we still had 30 mins so we looked at the exhibits on display, then we went on our tour there where only 5 of us on the tour us 2 Scots and 3 Aussies (Mum, Dad and Son), our tour guide was French/Iranian called Anna she said it would be like a VIP tour as usually there are a lot more in the group, it was a very interesting tour as it was explained to us the purpose of the UN and its goals this would be Anna’s last tour as she was being promoted to another department and she really was a great guide and she even called ahead to ask for the council chambers to be kept open so we could see everything in our tour we spent about 80 mins on tour meant to be 60 mins so tells you we all enjoyed it and it was good to get to see the General Assembly Room it really is pretty impressive to see it the Security Council on the other hand was pretty austere but that was due to the fact its only its temporary homer just now and the UK donated the furnishings

(School in a box recently used in Haiti to protect and help young children)

After the tour we headed back to the hotel (walking) and got changed for dinner, I had 7pm reservations for Trattoria Cinque in the village, I had bought a certificate for $49(Travelzoo) that got you 3 courses for two people just tip, tax and drinks to pay for, we got the subway there and it was only a 5 min walk from station to restaurant, the ambience was very nice and the food was good as well it was a pricy restaurant as I was out another $100 for tip, tax bottle of wine and two cocktails, but the service was impeccable and we dined for a couple of hours Jacquie had Carpaccio to start, followed by Pollo al Mattone and for dessert Torta di Ricotta, I had to start Frittura Mista followed by Brasato di Manzo and for dessert Cioccolato Profiteroles, as I said was delicious and portions where huge (sorry no pics wasn't really a tourist moment), I did have tickets for a jazz club but after dinner we decided to have a stroll in the village then subway back to hotel follwed by a nightcap in room then bed, the forecast for Tuesday is extreme bad

Edited at 06:12 PM.
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 11, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Fab photos again, I vow to make it up the Empire State one day, I have been twice couldnt do it last Aug due to weather, first time in 1999 we were lucky to go up the twin towers..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 11, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
liverbird
VIP Dibber

Another jam packed day! Never thought to go on tour of UN building, just doesn't look that interesting from the outside - but maybe next time . Thanks.
Old 21 Feb 11, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another brilliant day - think your meal must have been fab and luckily you got a good deal.
You are still making me want to go back! I was only looking at my refillable mug from the boat trip yesterday - spooky! We also had a few hot chocolates put into ours when we were there.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 11, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post

another great day ~ what are your thoughts on the Pass ~ was it the City pass or the New York Pass that you had and do you think that you got your moneys worth from the pass?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 11, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Originally Posted by karen_uk View Post
another great day ~ what are your thoughts on the Pass ~ was it the City pass or the New York Pass that you had and do you think that you got your moneys worth from the pass?
Hi it was the city pass we aren't really museum people but I reckon we broke even on the pass, also they never dated the pass so it could be used longer than advertised due to that
Old 13 Mar 11, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Brill photos, making me excited for our trip in April
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 11, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List