Old 19 May 11, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
CHRISTMAS SHOPPING, SHOWS & SIGHTS IN NEW YORK 2010 Day 4

Day 4– Tuesday Dec 14th – SHOPS, MORE SHOPS & RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

Awake at 7am. Had cheesecake for breakfast – well, we are on holiday Took a taxi ($20) to Century 21 – arrived later than intended at 9.30am but it wasn’t crowded at all. I only bought a cardi/coat for myself, Italian merino wool $50 but got lots of Xmas presies – cashmere cardi for DH $99, designer jeans & tee for another friend’s baby $33, cashmere gloves for sis $25, Xmas goodies etc. I was sat staring for ages at some Manolos in the shoe dept (only seat I could find for a much needed rest whilst DDs ran round). They were priced at $249 but I resisted since I couldn’t wear them anyway – yep, I was sorely tempted to buy a pair just to admire & stroke them now & then

DDs bought loads – too much to list. Clothes/boots/Ugg bags/jewellery/sunglasses – the list is endless – this is def the best place to shop in NYC if you like designer/quality bargains. One lovely item they got was a ‘Cinderella’ range party dress with a cute little matching doll’s dress for the same friend’s daughter prev mentioned. You can buy this range in our T K Maxx but not with the doll’s dress – which makes it so special. We spent all morning here but it wasn’t long enough.

{WARNING if you shop here, plan on going straight back to your hotel with your overflowing carrier bags}

We then popped into a nearby Starbucks for drinks, snacks & a sit-down & then walked to Battery Park passing the Charging Bull statue, that was featured in the ‘The Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ movie – btw –this is a good film to watch for NYC scenery. (couldn’t get anywhere near the bull for the hordes of Japanese tourists there).

It was still absolutely freezing, only 22f, so we reluctantly made a final decision not to get the ferry – would have been way too cold for me – as my arthritic fingers get very painful in extreme cold. Still, at least I got to see the SOL & took the usual fun perspective photos. Got taxi bk to hotel ($20), picked up some chai lattes at Starbucks & rested in the room for 2 hrs recharging our batteries (energy levels that is) tho we did plug in the cameras/mobile phones etc. We still had credit left on our Florida Trakfones – which was very useful.

Out again like the Energiser bunnies, we walked to 5th Avenue, stopping at A & F (didn’t buy anything cos we’d bought so much in Orlando a few weeks earlier ) Hollister, FAO Schwartz (I bought some Xmas presies, DDs did too, including a doll to wear the prev mentioned Cinderella dress). We walked past all the big stores admiring the Xmas window displays & street lights. Tbh – I wasn’t as impressed as I’d expected to be. Although they were great - I think we do a far better job in our city centres.

{totally digressing but if you like the Disney light parades – you should visit Bridgwater Carnival – I’ve been told Disney sends spies over – but that could just be a rumour}

On the way back, we spotted Brooklyn Diner on 57th & decided to eat there as we were running late after all that shopping. I am so glad we did. Service was superfast (they prob want to get you in/out as fast as poss)

I had the ‘famous lasagne pie’ – yumyum – the pasta was as fine as angelhair & the meat was delicious. The best lasagne I’ve ever had & I’ve worked/lived in Italy. DDs had chicken & salmon salads & said theirs was the best ever. Such a surprise since we were only expecting diner level food. Prices were reasonable.

Back to our hotel for a quick brush up & we set off for Radio City Music Hall – only few mins from our hotel and we had time to stop & admire the Rockefeller skaters on the way. It was very busy going into the Hall (seats 6000) & DDs had gone for drinks so I cautiously tried to make my way to my seat but the internal corridor was just gridlocked. Fortunately, several kind Americans in the queue forced a passage for me til I could hug a wall & then protected my personal space til I reached the theatre entrance.

(TIP: if you’re going there - ask an usher which is the nearest entrance to your seat before you enter the corridor). Lovely Art Deco theatre – largest I’ve ever been in.

We did have good seats, XX411:413, not sure if we could have done any better even in the dearer seats. The stage is so big, you don’t want to be too close. I didn’t have a 100% clear view but it was around 95% so pretty good. DDs could see fine – of course. This show was another on my bucket list – known about it since I was a child & my FIL went to see a Rockettes show during WW2. Quite a history there. I expected something like the Tiller girls (anyone else remember them?) but the DDs hadn’t a clue other than what I’d told them about chorus lines etc. We were given 3D glasses with our programmes (free), which seemed a bit odd but……..

The show was amazing (sorry, I’m repeating the superlatives). It was a mixture of singing, dancing (all types), comedy, 3D film & ended with a full stage Nativity set, which made all our jaws drop. Live camels & other animals – prob not allowed in the UK but oh it was beautiful & at least a nod to the real reason for Christmas.

Unbelievably, my supercool DD2 loved this show. She said it was because it was so random I just loved it all – so evocative of a New York Xmas. If you want to see an example – search on youtube for the Xmas Spectacular & esp the wooden soldiers routine – then wonder how much rehearsal time it took! We only bought a Rockettes tree ornament as we thought the souvenirs were highly priced.

We walked back to the hotel with linked arms & singing again – to be fair so was most of the departing audience & we were soon all tucked up, snug in bed by 11pm.
disneywiseowl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 11, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Another fab day!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 11, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post

what a wonderful time you've all had together . ..off to read the next day now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 11, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like you had such an amazing time!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 11, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We too loved the Radio city Christmas show - it is amazing xx

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 11, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List