Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The hills are alive - Salzburg October 2017 Day 3

Friday 27th October 2017 - Day 3

There had been a lot of rain overnight and it was still raining when we first woke up. DD and myself watched a bit more of Sound of Music on my tablet . We had some bread and jam for breakfast today with our tea in the hotel room.

The kids had fun making up new versions of 'These are a few of my favourite things'. Their lines were hilarious the first time, but after about 50 times of hearing them sing the same thing over and over DH had had enough :angry: and I was wondering if I would ever be able to listen to that song again without getting the urge to put my hands over my ears.

We left the hotel around 10am and made our way to Mirabell Palace. Just a quick walk through the gardens this morning though. We visited the little Marionette museum. It's only a little museum with lots of puppet displays and photos of many of the shows they have done over the years.

We walked over the bridge to the other side of the river and it was just starting to rain so we thought we would pop into the Natural History museum. Now, this was larger than we thought it would be as there were 5 floors of natural history and also a science museum in another building of 3 floors. So, although we had not planned a long visit we ended up staying in here for a few hours. Plus it was pouring with rain outside so we didn't feel inclined to rush back outside.

Lots of photos of museum exhibits following, feel free to scroll down quickly!

We started off on the ground floor of the museum with the dinosaur exhibit and then into the aquarium. Lots and lots of fish, it was really great.

Lots of tiny baby Nemo fish!

I don't think I have seen clown fish so small, here they are again with my finger so you can tell how tiny they are.

We hadn't expected to find an aquarium in the museum, but this caused both DD and DS some confusion as we were going around the rest of the museum as they felt the need to check if further exhibits were 'Real or not real?' . It was quite funny when they asked about the elephant .

The 1st floor had lots of geoscience exhibits, with rocks, crystals, gemstones and fossils.

The 2nd floor was the space hall.

Also, on this floor was a reptile zoo - Real life animals, not stuffed - adding to the kids confusion!

The 3rd floor had exhibits on wildlife of all continents (not real - stuffed!).

There was also an exhibit on myths, legends and fables.

The 4th floor had all the marine life exhibits on oceans, seas and lakes.

By this point our tummies were grumbling it was still raining heavily outside so we went back down to the coffee shop on the 1st floor.

DH and myself had a beer...when in Austria...

The kids both had hot chocolate with whipped cream.

DH had a boring ham and cheese toasty which I did not deem photo worthy!

The kids had kids waffles with cream, smarties and nutella . I am told these were delicious.

I had a waffle with banana, honey, caramelised nuts and whipped cream. Yummy .

Suitably refreshed we were now ready to tackle the three floors of the science museum.

There were connecting walkways on each floor so we walked back up to the 2nd floor and across to the science building. This area had lots of things the kids could try out to test their fitness.

There was a fingerprint reading machine, which we all had fun trying out.

The 1st floor had an exhibit devoted to sound and physics, including lots on Mozart (who was born in Salzburg - we visit Mozarts birthplace tomorrow). And finally, the ground floor was a science centre devoted to energy and lifting. We had a great time in the museum and managed to stay dry during the torrential rain.

When we left it was mid afternoon. We walked to the church of St Marks and then went up the Monchsberg lift to the look out point where the museum of modern art is positioned. None of us fancied another museum just yet though. Even though it was cloudy the views were still stunning.

We had a pleasant walk along the top overlooking Salzburg. The rain seemed to have eased off so we carried on walking away from the centre of the city and found our way back down to the riverside. We crossed over the river near Mirabell and wandered back through the gardens...more photos of the 'Do Re Mi' steps!

We made our way back to the hotel, via the supermarket for supplies.

We lounged around in the room, DD and myself finished watching Sound of Music. DS and DH rested up.

It had started raining again when we ventured out for dinner so we didn't go too far. We stopped at a small bar near Mirabell with just 4 tables. They were happy to have the kids in there and we ended up staying the night. We shared a charcuterie board with lots of meats, cheeses, olives, pickles and bread. The food was delicious and so was the wine. My notes from this evening are somewhat scrawly and difficult to read!

On the way back to the hotel we stopped off in an ice cream parlour so the kids could have a dessert...apparently it's not a proper dinner without dessert. DS had chocolate and DD had vanilla.

In spite of the rain it was a good day, we were worn out after all our walking. All the activities today were 'free', as the entrance to the museums and the Monchsberg lift were included in our Salzburg card.

Our final day tomorrow. We do lots of sightseeing in the old part of Salzburg, visiting the fortress, cathedral and Mozarts birthplace.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Wow, the museum looks brilliant and perfectly planned by you for a rainy day activity. Looks ace . As did the waffles .. I could eat those just about now.
How lovely to spend the evening in that bar after such a great day... These are such lovely holiday moments , simple things .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Wow, the museum looks brilliant and perfectly planned by you for a rainy day activity. Looks ace . As did the waffles .. I could eat those just about now.
How lovely to spend the evening in that bar after such a great day... These are such lovely holiday moments , simple things .
The museum was so much better than I expected, after the marionette museum being one small room, which although it was interesting it barely held our attention for 10 minutes, I hadn't thought the natural history museum would be up to much...to my DD delight most of the exhibits only had the title in English and the description was not, she much prefers it when I am not tempted to read everything.

Now, I remember taking a photo of the little bar as they had lots of Halloween decorations on the tables which looked cute, but somehow these photos don't exist now, I've no idea where they ended up!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

The Natural History Museum and Science Museum look amazing. Those are definitely going on my list for Salzburg. Also the waffles
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
The Natural History Museum and Science Museum look amazing. Those are definitely going on my list for Salzburg. Also the waffles
I think it should be a criminal offence to not eat schnitzel or waffles while in Salzburg! They were good!

Old 20 Jan 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

You've got to love a good museum, it looks great fun. Shame about the rain but you still managed to make the most of the day 😃
Those waffles look amazing 😬

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
The museum was a good choice given the weather, and the waffles were awesome.

Old 4 May 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

The museum looks fantastic. I like that the kid’s waffle is actually a sensibly sized portion. Yours looks lovely but hold the banana for me.

The Salzburg card was actually a bargain!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The museum looks fantastic. I like that the kid’s waffle is actually a sensibly sized portion. Yours looks lovely but hold the banana for me.

The Salzburg card was actually a bargain!
Yes, the card was well worth it. A little over £100 For the 4 of us for the 72 hour card gave us access to all the museums and public transport. I think it gave us a bit of freedom to just be in a museum for an hour if we wanted and then move on, rather than feeling like we had to get our monies worth and stay the whole day.

Hmm, the waffle was good