Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
I think it’s incredibly soon to be making decisions about house sharing next year.

DD is still awfully homesick and is seriously considering sticking the year out and seeing if she can transfer closer to home next year and commuting.

Her course friends all seem to have very good flat mates who they plan to share with next year. DD has a good friend in her flat but she’s suffering with homesickness too and DD isn’t sure she’ll last the year let alone stay next year. So she says if she stayed she wouldn’t have anyone to share with and decisions have to be made by Christmas/early new year.

She’s going to make an appointment with a student advisor on Monday to chat things over. I have no idea how easy it would be, or indeed if it is possible to transfer.

I’m so sad for her as she was so looking forward to this big adventure 🙁 She’s loving the course but that isn’t enough at the moment.
I am sorry to hear that your DD is finding it hard to settle.
Student advisors will be able to help and help her understand what in particular is the thing that's making it hard.

Not talking about your DD MM but in general terms My experience of this is that if they are truly unhappy then it is impossible to stay; but, and it's a big but, they need to be very very sure and have something to come back to. (That is if it is their choice).

When the kids come back who haven't settled and have nothing to do and their friends have moved on at home, that can be just as dispiriting and actually much harder to deal with than staying on uni in many cases. Transition at the end of sixth to the world of work or the world of uni is a big change. Individual responsibity and self motivation and resilience all really important life skills that our kids need to have - alongside our love and support.

In terms of housing. This really makes me cross when the housing people push this so early. Unless you live in an area where there is really really limited housing it is unlikely that you will not get anything. Even if you look for houses in say Feb/March. You will normally know by then ( or have a good inkling about) how the Jan exams went - the outcome of this may affect plans for the following year. If you are looking to transfer after the first year good results in the first year exams (passing them ideally) will stand you in good stead in the transfer market.

As a parent you will be asked to be a guarantor. The terms of this are really quite tough. You pay, you pay if they are there, you pay if they leave. It can be really really galling to be shelling out for a house 200 miles away while said child sits in their room in your house. It is then either your responsibility to carry on paying, or if you are lucky the terms of the tenency will allow you to do a part year let and you will only have to pay until the room is relet. It is your responsibility to find a new tenant. I paid for an empty room for four months. Very very expensive.

Lastly, if any child is thinking of withdrawing read the uni website carefully for the terms, both of the uni accom, the tuition fees etc. Student loans are calculated to the date a student opts to leave. Sometimes they are locked into paying the fees for the full year. Another painful lesson.

Anyway, don't want to be a Debbie Downer. Sorry for blathering on!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I am hoping DS applies for a Scottish Uni, next year but only time will tell how keen he is to do this. Dread the thought of looking for accom next year, all you hear is horror stories about kept deposits etc xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I am sorry to hear that your DD is finding it hard to settle.
Student advisors will be able to help and help her understand what in particular is the thing that's making it hard.

Not talking about your DD MM but in general terms My experience of this is that if they are truly unhappy then it is impossible to stay; but, and it's a big but, they need to be very very sure and have something to come back to. (That is if it is their choice).

When the kids come back who haven't settled and have nothing to do and their friends have moved on at home, that can be just as dispiriting and actually much harder to deal with than staying on uni in many cases. Transition at the end of sixth to the world of work or the world of uni is a big change. Individual responsibity and self motivation and resilience all really important life skills that our kids need to have - alongside our love and support.

In terms of housing. This really makes me cross when the housing people push this so early. Unless you live in an area where there is really really limited housing it is unlikely that you will not get anything. Even if you look for houses in say Feb/March. You will normally know by then ( or have a good inkling about) how the Jan exams went - the outcome of this may affect plans for the following year. If you are looking to transfer after the first year good results in the first year exams (passing them ideally) will stand you in good stead in the transfer market.

As a parent you will be asked to be a guarantor. The terms of this are really quite tough. You pay, you pay if they are there, you pay if they leave. It can be really really galling to be shelling out for a house 200 miles away while said child sits in their room in your house. It is then either your responsibility to carry on paying, or if you are lucky the terms of the tenency will allow you to do a part year let and you will only have to pay until the room is relet. It is your responsibility to find a new tenant. I paid for an empty room for four months. Very very expensive.

Lastly, if any child is thinking of withdrawing read the uni website carefully for the terms, both of the uni accom, the tuition fees etc. Student loans are calculated to the date a student opts to leave. Sometimes they are locked into paying the fees for the full year. Another painful lesson.

Anyway, don't want to be a Debbie Downer. Sorry for blathering on!
It’s such a difficult time for them and I think they are just realising now how important these decisions are, and the financial implications of their choices. Coming home isn’t an easy option but sometimes it’s the right one. I agree that it needs to be talked through with university advisors first though.

Georgia said she saw a student being taken home from her halls last weekend with her parents as they emptied her room and had the car all loaded up to take her home again, Georgia said she felt so sad to see that someone’s dream hadn’t worked out

Private rentals have always been difficult. It was the same years ago when our sons went to uni, very few deposits were paid back in full (if at all) as landlords always found a reason to withhold some of it even though our sons never left it in a worse state than it was previous to them moving in. There really should be some better legislation to protect them.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

My son came home at the Christmas of his 1st year as uni wasn't for him. We had to pay him out of his accommodation contract. Best thing we could have done for him as he hated it. He is much happier at home working. No shame in saying this isn't for me. I would rather have happy kids than money in the bank 😉
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
My son came home at the Christmas of his 1st year as uni wasn't for him. We had to pay him out of his accommodation contract. Best thing we could have done for him as he hated it. He is much happier at home working. No shame in saying this isn't for me. I would rather have happy kids than money in the bank 😉
I agree wholeheartedly, but the sad thing is my daughter is really enjoying her course and really wants to complete it.

I’ve tried telling her it takes time to settle and she’s only been there a month but to her that seems forever.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

After Christmas will be when all the lettings start to be advertised, I work in lettings, we don't do student lets ourselves but we are a franchise and a lot of offices do and we have students coming into our office to sign paperwork.

Due to a change in the law in June of this year if they apply for a property they can not be charged for referencing and if you are acting as guarantor they can't charge you either so NO fees.

Some agents will want all the students to sign one tenancy agreement however I would push that you have a tenancy agreement for your child's share of the tenancy this shouldn't be a problem as the vast majority will be HMO's (house of multiple occupancy and will be licensed) If they want the property they will be asked to pay a holding deposit which is equivalent to one weeks rent (again just pay your share) if your child changes their mind before they sign the actual tenancy agreement which we do on the day they move in then they will only loose the holding deposit and you wont be held responsible for the rent.
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Thank you minicooper and familygwales, very informative posts about the next step. My DD has just started looking at costs and who to share with for 2nd year.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post
After Christmas will be when all the lettings start to be advertised, I work in lettings, we don't do student lets ourselves but we are a franchise and a lot of offices do and we have students coming into our office to sign paperwork.

Due to a change in the law in June of this year if they apply for a property they can not be charged for referencing and if you are acting as guarantor they can't charge you either so NO fees.

Some agents will want all the students to sign one tenancy agreement however I would push that you have a tenancy agreement for your child's share of the tenancy this shouldn't be a problem as the vast majority will be HMO's (house of multiple occupancy and will be licensed) If they want the property they will be asked to pay a holding deposit which is equivalent to one weeks rent (again just pay your share) if your child changes their mind before they sign the actual tenancy agreement which we do on the day they move in then they will only loose the holding deposit and you wont be held responsible for the rent.
That sounds a better idea. We had to sign ours by April for a july start so were tied when a change of plans happened. That was this summer so situation may have changed. New tenant moves in 1st Nov so I am out of it then! Sorry if I banged on about the bad stuff. It's a bit fresh 😭
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
We have said the same to Georgia, her mental health is the most important thing. She does seem to be settling now, just at a slower pace than some. But if she decides it isn’t for her, that’s fine too. They can only try but some people find other paths suit them better, as your son did 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post

Thank you, that’s really useful to know. Georgia has been told they need to start looking in November but they aren’t actually available until January? So, I’m presuming the uni means start looking for possible room mates and areas not actually signing up for a flat in November. I know Bristol is quite difficult to get student accommodation in so she’s keen to not leave it too late, however she doesn’t want to have to rush the decision and regret it later