Old 21 Jan 11, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The annual family Jaunt to Spain

Suddenly realised I missed doing a report on this last January!

So here goes for this one

For those who do not know me, a little recap.

Every January for the last 6 or 7 years, since my dear father died, my two brothers and I made a pact to have some time together each year. Brian lives in Cornwall and robert lives in London and I live in anglesey North Wales, so we are well spread out and with all our commitments we do not have time to visit.

Robert has a little flat in La Mata Spain so we book a cheap Easyjet flight and we are all set. We leave my husband at home and their wives and go back to being kids again for a few days.

This year Brian got the train from Cornwall up to London and my two brothers traveled out together and I got my flight from manchester. Great timing as i got in 15 minutes before them and as I had luggage to pick up and they didn't we timed it exactly right so we both got to the exit at exactly the same time.

Lovely to see them both and we walked across to the ire car place and got our car. Felt like home from home for me as we had a Peugeot 207 which is my car at home although I wasn't driving at all. Robert did all the driving which suited me fine.

We set off for La Mata and straight to the square which has become a tradition to have coffee and a cake on the square when we arrive before we get to the flat.

The weather was gorgeous and we sat relaxing and absorbing the sun.

We then went to open up the flat and do some of the chores like sweeping the balcony so we could sit out in the sun! We headed straight down to the beach where Brian managed to go straight in for a swim - mad brother I have! although the sun was lovely and warm that sea was freezing so Robert and I declined the offer to join him.

The boys then had a bat and ball game while I sat in the chair relaxing!

Then we found the local mercadona to get some supplies - although we were eating out in the evening we were going to make butties for lunch and have breakfast on the balcony.

Back we went to drop them off then we drove down to Torreveja as it was 12th night and most of the towns in Spain have brilliant parades for the Three Kings on Twelfth night. last year we did the one in Alicante so we stayed nearer to home this year. We arrived and walked along the front

seeing the most amazing sunset and then we got to the streets just as it started and it was lovely. the people in the parade throw loads of sweets to all the children and there was a lovely girl next to us who had a big duffel coat on and she kept all the sweets in her hood - she was leaning way back by the time the parade finished.

[IMG]

There were lots of live animals too and plenty of people - It lasted about an hour but the time flew.

[IMG]

We then drove straight to the local chinese and had a lovely meal there. We pick three main dishes all different then have some of each on our plate.

Back to the flat and we had a quick game of cards before retiring to bed.
You will see that games play a big part as we are very competitive in our family!

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 11, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Thursday

The plan was to relax and rest for me today as I have had a bit of a tough year so I was ready to recharge my batteries! We had a lovely breakfast on the balcony

then the boys set off on their push bikes and went for a bike ride and I was happy to sit on the balcony and read a book for the morning, something I never do at home. When they came back the weather was lovely so we walked down to the beach and had a game of boules and Brian went for a swim and today Rob managed to get into the water too. I still chickened out!

After a while we then decided to drive up to Quesada where they have a great little crazy golf course at one of the cafes there. So out came the competitive bit and Brian won that one!

Back to the flat and then we walked round to a local restaurant Casa Phillippe which is one of my favourites. I had the veal escalope and mushroom sauce. It was yummy, plus a nice bottle of wine to wash it down.

then back to the hotel for our UNO card game and bed.

Friday

today we were trying something different. We had only decided to do this a few weeks ago. I checked on line and found a hotel in Benidorm for £30 a night which was half board with an indoor pool and loads of games and entertainment so we thought it would make a change.
We drove up to Benidorm via Villjoyosa where we sat at a cafe on the seafront for our morning coffee.

I prefer hot chocolate so Robert ordered chocolat caliente or so he thought. The waiter came back with two coffees for the boys and a hot cognac for me! As I hate the smell of it, Brian did a retake and managed to let the waiter know what I wanted and I got a nice hot chocolate. We left the cognac on the table still not sure if we got charged for it or not! We walked back along the seafront to the car, they have done this up lovely and it is still quite unspoilt. The boys seemed to be comparing mobile phones!

We got to Benidorm jusy after 2 and checked into Hotel Pueblo. They were very helpful at reception and we got rooms next to each other on the 16th floor. Lovely views from the balcony although I didnt go out on it at all as I am petrified of heights! Just lent out of the window. got Robert to take some photos though.

We explored the hotel and found the indoor swimming pool so we thought we would walk along the seafront first then back for a swim. We took the boules with us and enjoyed a close game down on the beach then back for a swim and get ready for dinner. I did manage to stick my head outside to take this pic

Dinner was at 7 and it was buffet style. Good job we only had one night here. the food was great and Brian sampled every main course, Robert was more refined and I was somewhere in the middle. They had a grill there where they cooked everything fresh and the fresh fish was beautiful, I also tried some of the turkey along with a few chips and veg. But I kept some room for the pudding or should I say puddings. I did taste quite a few! They even had lovely Christmas pudding and hot sauce.
After that we went for a walk till about 9.30 then I went to my room as I was going to skype my husband via the free wifi. I found out next morning the boys went off and found a comedy bar where it was happy hour all night. Now they dont normally drink much but they ordered a drink each and got four pints! for €4. They thought happy hour was over a bit later so thought they would boost the profits for them and get another couple of pints but it was till happy hour so they got another 4!
Apparently there were a couple of comedians on who sounded very blue to say the least so I was quite glad to be tucked up in my room!

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 11, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Saturday

Awake early and enjoyed the view from my room

Breakfast at 8 and boy what a breakfast.

Cereal first then freshly fried eggs with bacon and mushroom and those spanish bread rolls to die for! Made such a pig of myself wanted nothing else all day!
We then wandered round to the games section and had a great few games of table tennis. Havent played for a good few years and still managed to beat rob in the best of three!
Finished the morning off with a swim in the pool then sadly checked out and we headed up north to Javier which was another beautiful seaside resort but a bit more upmarket than Benidorm!

They have a restaurant there called Scallops which we had eaten before but when we got there we were still so full we decided to give it a miss instead we found a lovely cafe on the front and indulged in some ice-cream instead!

Just as we were leaving they put the tele on and robs beloved Arsenal were playing against Leeds so we had another coffee and they watched the match while I had a wander round the souvenir shops and sat playing on my itouch.
Match over and onto the beach for our boules match of the day then we then headed back down to the flat after a lovely little overnight short break. We decided we will do that again next year as it was good fun.
Once back in La Mata we went just round the corner to a little Italian restaurant which we had visited last year and enjoyed. this year, it was ok, but only just ok and very expensive so that one may get a miss next year from us.
Back to a game of scrabble tonight then bed!

Sunday

Leisurely breakfast on the balcony then the boys went off on their bikes and I carried on reading on the balcony. I actually read 2 books on this trip and really enjoyed the rest.
When they got back we walked down to treat ourselves to Sunday lunch at the Dubliner with a view to watching the Man Utd match on their tele.

We all ordered the soup and lamb. Well the soup came out and was obviously packet soup as some of it hadn't mixed properly and the main course came and it was little strips of lamb, not freshly cut off the joint and in all a big disappointment so we didn't stay for sweet or the match but jumped in the car and went up to Quesada and had another game of crazy golf. We met some other english people who were living there and sat for ages chatting to them. they told us the sunday roast was amazing there so we know where we are going next year! We had been sitting in the sun outside for ages, when suddenly it started getting a bit cool so we went back to the flat and started packing. We werent going to go out tonight to eat after our sunday dinner but we were all so disappointed we decided to go to Casa Phillippe again and I had the pork in mushroom sauce and it was beautiful.
Back for our final game of UNO then bed.

Monday

We were up at 6.30 and we all got stuck in cleaning out the flat. We all had our designated areas and cleaned and washed down everything and before we knew it, it was time to go. We drove the car back to the airport then I checked my case in and the flights all running to time. I said goodbye to the boys till next year (although we do chat regularly on the phone during the year!) and got on my plane. I was quite impressed with Easyjet both ways, no problems at all and would use them again. I drove back from the airport and home after what was a great little break and I hope we get to have many more.

thanks for taking the time to read this.
xxxx

Old 22 Jan 11, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Looks like you had a lovely trip Jean and how nice to spend some real quality time with your brothers
Old 22 Jan 11, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

what a fantastic idea,to spend time together,especially living so far apart.the weather looked lovely as well.i really like javier,although i have only been there once,for a fortnight,as we tend to try different resorts.
long may your trips continue,as you all look so happy & relaxed.
lovely idea
tracy
Old 22 Jan 11, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds like you had a good time ~ what a lovely thing to do, to make sure that you take that time out of your everyday lives to spend and share the time together.

I do enjoy your trippies
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 11, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Sounds like a great trip, it's lovely that you get to spend the time with your brothers
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 11, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post

It's a lovely family tradition you and your brothers have Jean...I always enjoy reading about your trip x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 11, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

great trip report, and the weather looks wonderful.
Old 22 Jan 11, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
It's a lovely family tradition you and your brothers have Jean...I always enjoy reading about your trip x
Thanks Linda, it is a bit like my Florida trip reports though, where we seem to do the same things every trip!