Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Wasdale campsite, Cumbria

The National Trust Wasdale campsite is at the base of Scarfell Pike, a fell that is 978m in the Lake District National Park in Cumbria.

We turned off the main road and onto single-track roads for 10 miles before reaching it, through some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen in the UK. We were both almost silent as we cruised along, dodging by cars as and when we could. There were very few crash barriers at times and it would be easy to end up in the lake if you were careless; one elderly gentleman was obviously a bit worried when we passed each other slowly with him on the lakeside. Not sure I would attempt the road at night in the rain.

Although the reception was closed they had left the key-card for the barrier and our tent marker for us in an envelope so we could get straight in. They ask only that tents are kept 6m apart for fire regulations, apart from that you can pitch anywhere in the foresty field leaving your car in the car park around the outside. A nice touch, even if it does mean you get to build up an appetite whilst you lug your camping gear from the car to the pitch.

I found a great spot against a fence, shaded by a tree. The campsite is fully booked, so I wondered why nobody else had chosen this prime spot and shortly found out why: There were rocks practically everywhere 2” below the topsoil.

It took considerable time but eventually I got all but one tent peg into the ground even if some were at such shallow angles I put a rock on top of them for good measure. The pegs got seven shades of ##### smacked out of them I can tell you.

The windbreak also suffered a fatal break in one of it’s poles, but some string and rocks soon sorted it out and the food can be cooked much easier than Mel had to cope with on the shore of Windermere earlier in the week.

As the nearest supermarket is a 2 hour round trip it is very advisable to bring everything you need. We had decided to bring a bag of tins for this two location holiday, some long-life potato brunch packs, super noodles and snacks.

It’s 8:53pm and practically everyone has gone to bed, as the sun is setting fast and the site is heading towards pitch black. Apart from Johns house near Hereford, I have not seen such a clear sky with no visible light pollution – I guess unsurprising given our location.

By 9:30pm it is pitch black and silent, save for a couple of sheep baa’ing in the distance. If you want serenity, this sure is the location.

The couple of times I popped out of the tent in the night to use the fence the sky was beautiful and the air crisp and clean. I stood at one point for 5 minutes just gazing up. If I hadn’t buried by hoody at the base of the tent I may well have stayed out for a while.

Morning came, and almost everyone was up as soon as the sun hit the tents. It got real hot as quick as it gets cold in the evening when it sets.

The showers and toilets were quite busy, with a lengthy queue for the girls showers at 9am. Mel waited until 10am and they were quieter. They clean at 10:30am we are told, so she timed it well.

I’m sure a lot of you would agree with me that in most camp shops the food is pretty rubbish along the lines of generic walls bacon or sausages. Not here. The bacon, while £3.50 for 4 thick rashers, was local organic bacon and by god it’s good. None of that white liquid that oozes out of supermarket bacon showing you clearly how much water they pumped into it to boost the weight.

Mel fried up some potato and onion with it and breakfast was a winner.

By 10am people had either donned their backpacks and headed for the hills, or had packed up and left. I feel a small (very small) twinge of guilt that this site, so obviously made for walkers, will only serve as a base for car journeys for us. The longest we have walked, or plan to walk, is to the toilet block or car park. In many ways I would seriously like to walk up one of the hills – hill being used in its lightest form here really – but I fear for my life in doing so. Perhaps we’ll return when we are fitter.

At £18 a night, plus 20p per five minutes of shower water, it’s worth every penny for the calmness, quietness and the views.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 11, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Nice to read on here about my other favourite place.
Is it just the fitness aspect that stops you tackling the hills, you are in the presence of some beauties there, the Scafells and Great Gable.
Sty Head pass which is on the way towards these hills from Wasdale is a powerful place, with the mass of Great End and Gable on either side of you, the routes up Scafell Pike above Piers Gill, oh and the first aid box too.
One of my favourite small hills is Wansfell Pike (1500 feet-ish) which can be walked from Ambleside, it's steep but a very solid and well used path goes up the side. The view on a clear day particularly south over Windermere and Morecambe Bay is splendid, carry as much food and drink as you can for a superb picnic on top. Another good view easily reached is Latrigg (Wainwright describes it as "not a climb calling for old clothes and heavy boots) above Keswick, great view over Derwent Water with the Helvellyn range on the left and the Central fells spread out before you. Skip the picnic though, the sheep have found a use for the grass up here, although there are a couple of benches. Although I do appreciate that Wasdale isn't the best place to be to reach the Central and Northern Lakes.
I'll be over for a week in June (the in-laws very kindly bought a caravan in the shade of Blencathra), if you can get yourself fit and experience a day in the high hills, you'll be seriously addicted and boy does your dinner taste good when you get back down.

Hope you have a great time anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 11, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

Sounds gorgeous, enjoy the stars and the peace, wish i was there
Old 30 Apr 11, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

You are making me nostalgic ... All the Western Lakes area was my office during my time as Water Distribution Manager in Cumbria. Happy days.
Old 30 Apr 11, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
You are making me nostalgic ... All the Western Lakes area was my office during my time as Water Distribution Manager in Cumbria. Happy days.
Water Distribution Manager in Cumbria, , I know who to curse now when I've spent 6 hours walking in the rain.
Old 30 Apr 11, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Welcome to Cumbria! Definately one of the most spectacular landscapes... in the world!
Imo, but I'm biased, moved away for 9 months, didn't like it, came back home. There's, obviously some not so pretty sights in Cumbria too, Botchergate on a Saturday night for example!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 11, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
The National Trust Wasdale campsite is at the base of Scarfell Pike, a fell that is 978m in the Lake District National Park in Cumbria.

We turned off the main road and onto single-track roads for 10 miles before reaching it, through some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen in the UK. We were both almost silent as we cruised along, dodging by cars as and when we could. There were very few crash barriers at times and it would be easy to end up in the lake if you were careless; one elderly gentleman was obviously a bit worried when we passed each other slowly with him on the lakeside. Not sure I would attempt the road at night in the rain.

Although the reception was closed they had left the key-card for the barrier and our tent marker for us in an envelope so we could get straight in. They ask only that tents are kept 6m apart for fire regulations, apart from that you can pitch anywhere in the foresty field leaving your car in the car park around the outside. A nice touch, even if it does mean you get to build up an appetite whilst you lug your camping gear from the car to the pitch.

I found a great spot against a fence, shaded by a tree. The campsite is fully booked, so I wondered why nobody else had chosen this prime spot and shortly found out why: There were rocks practically everywhere 2” below the topsoil.

It took considerable time but eventually I got all but one tent peg into the ground even if some were at such shallow angles I put a rock on top of them for good measure. The pegs got seven shades of ##### smacked out of them I can tell you.

The windbreak also suffered a fatal break in one of it’s poles, but some string and rocks soon sorted it out and the food can be cooked much easier than Mel had to cope with on the shore of Windermere earlier in the week.

As the nearest supermarket is a 2 hour round trip it is very advisable to bring everything you need. We had decided to bring a bag of tins for this two location holiday, some long-life potato brunch packs, super noodles and snacks.

It’s 8:53pm and practically everyone has gone to bed, as the sun is setting fast and the site is heading towards pitch black. Apart from Johns house near Hereford, I have not seen such a clear sky with no visible light pollution – I guess unsurprising given our location.

By 9:30pm it is pitch black and silent, save for a couple of sheep baa’ing in the distance. If you want serenity, this sure is the location.

The couple of times I popped out of the tent in the night to use the fence the sky was beautiful and the air crisp and clean. I stood at one point for 5 minutes just gazing up. If I hadn’t buried by hoody at the base of the tent I may well have stayed out for a while.

Morning came, and almost everyone was up as soon as the sun hit the tents. It got real hot as quick as it gets cold in the evening when it sets.

The showers and toilets were quite busy, with a lengthy queue for the girls showers at 9am. Mel waited until 10am and they were quieter. They clean at 10:30am we are told, so she timed it well.

I’m sure a lot of you would agree with me that in most camp shops the food is pretty rubbish along the lines of generic walls bacon or sausages. Not here. The bacon, while £3.50 for 4 thick rashers, was local organic bacon and by god it’s good. None of that white liquid that oozes out of supermarket bacon showing you clearly how much water they pumped into it to boost the weight.

Mel fried up some potato and onion with it and breakfast was a winner.

By 10am people had either donned their backpacks and headed for the hills, or had packed up and left. I feel a small (very small) twinge of guilt that this site, so obviously made for walkers, will only serve as a base for car journeys for us. The longest we have walked, or plan to walk, is to the toilet block or car park. In many ways I would seriously like to walk up one of the hills – hill being used in its lightest form here really – but I fear for my life in doing so. Perhaps we’ll return when we are fitter.

At £18 a night, plus 20p per five minutes of shower water, it’s worth every penny for the calmness, quietness and the views.
Thanks for taking the time to write Andy. I love the Lake District. Always think Wastwater has a very eerie feel to it
Anyway... any chance of some photo's when you get home please. Have fun
Old 2 May 11, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GRUMPY OLD DAH View Post
Water Distribution Manager in Cumbria, , I know who to curse now when I've spent 6 hours walking in the rain.
I only ensured it was coming out of the taps and it was fit to drink.

HOWEVER ... I prayed for rain every summer 'cause if we had 4 weeks without it I was working 24/7 trying to keep the water running.

For no extra money I may add.
Old 2 May 11, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List