Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jun 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

TV Question

I am currently paying Sky about £30 per month for their basic tv package which is basically repeats of friends, only fools, fawlty towers and lots of other things I don’t watch, I seem to be paying this for the ability to record programmes.

Therefore with the advent of i player, catch up etc on my smart tv, can I cancel the Sky DD lose the stuff detailed above, my tv will then just show terrestrial channels, I will lose the record facility but anything I miss can ba watched on the I player etc.

Am I right in my thinking ?
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

We used to have a freesat box with recording built in. We have since upgraded the TV and it’s all built into that but if you don’t want a new TV it would be a good option to buy the box separately. It uses the same satellite dish as sky.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum has talk talk tv which is much cheaper than sky and gives her the ability to record etc and gives her the channels she needs.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

freesat/
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

If you want to keep sky give them a call and cancel (be firm that you want to cancel). They will usually offer you a better deal .
If they don’t when you are on the call, you will usually get an offer on ‘my sky’ the day after (sometimes the same day.

I do this each time my contract comes to an end. I’m currently paying £15.55 for the basic package
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

If you have sky q don’t just get a freesat box it won’t work unless you get one that works with the wideband lnb and these are very expensive and rare at the moment
Mazbar is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Op. That’s what we do. Not had sky and just stream BBC etc through the smart TVs own functionality. Not missed Sky at all.

Of course, it helps that our tastes are covered by old school/free view channels. We do also have Netflix but watch about one thing a week on it. Disney+ hasn’t been touched once since we finished Mandolorian and the Imagineer docu series!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

If you cancel your sky package then you will lose all channels and functions that are paid for in the subscription, but standard freeview channels should remain working through the Sky Box.
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

We don’t have any tv package, we just have internet.

We have a BT Freeview box that has a few basic channels on and then we use the catch up apps like BBC iplayer, ITV hub etc plus Netflix.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Yes we got rid of ours a while back too as paying a lot for nothing really. We did buy a Manhattan box so we could still record but it’s not really used that much with iplayer etc!
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List