Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jul 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hate this weather, and absolutely despise this time of year.

No one warned me when buying a mid terrace, that the place would be hotter than Satan’s bottom after a heavy curry.

My heating was switched off in February. February! I would normally switch it back on this time of year, purely to test it before the plumbers become fully booked over winter. I can’t bring myself to do it.

I also work shifts, so have to sleep at stupid times. Last night I changed the bedding. I only have a fitted sheet and a flat sheet on the bed. The window is wide open (hello midgy bites) and I have no fewer than 3 fans pointed at me. 2 tower and 1 new upright. I actually managed a couple of hours sleep last night, and it was bliss.

According to my weather app, it’s going to his 32 degrees tomorrow. I’m up North! I’m not used to this!

To top it up, the air con in my office has been broken for almost 2 years. They’re going to fix it after much argument - at the end of August!

It was 28.7 degrees when I walked in there at 5.45am this morning. I could have cried
Old 21 Jul 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
Hate this weather, and absolutely despise this time of year.

No one warned me when buying a mid terrace, that the place would be hotter than Satan’s bottom after a heavy curry.

My heating was switched off in February. February! I would normally switch it back on this time of year, purely to test it before the plumbers become fully booked over winter. I can’t bring myself to do it.

I also work shifts, so have to sleep at stupid times. Last night I changed the bedding. I only have a fitted sheet and a flat sheet on the bed. The window is wide open (hello midgy bites) and I have no fewer than 3 fans pointed at me. 2 tower and 1 new upright. I actually managed a couple of hours sleep last night, and it was bliss.

According to my weather app, it’s going to his 32 degrees tomorrow. I’m up North! I’m not used to this!

To top it up, the air con in my office has been broken for almost 2 years. They’re going to fix it after much argument - at the end of August!

It was 28.7 degrees when I walked in there at 5.45am this morning. I could have cried
Best thing I ever did was screen my windows. It was actually to stop the cat trying to climb out of the upstairs ones (no safe path, she used to just get stuck out on the sill and panic) but bonus is I can leave them open overnight to cool down the house without bugs getting in.

I'm using strong cat safe ones (from Flat Cats - 100% recommended) but some netting velcroed up does the job in a pinch if you're only worried about bugs.

Counting down the days until it cools down again.

Edited at 04:54 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Best thing I ever did was screen my windows. It was actually to stop the cat trying to climb out of the upstairs ones (no safe path, she used to just get stuck out on the sill and panic) but bonus is I can leave them open overnight to cool down the house without bugs getting in.

I'm using strong cat safe ones (from Flat Cats - 100% recommended) but some netting velcroed up does the job in a pinch if you're only worried about bugs.

Counting down the days until it cools down again.
Ive never looked into that sort of thing before. Does it fit to the inside of your windows I’m presuming?

It’ll have to wait a while thanks to being part time and furloughed, but could well be worth it for the future!
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We normally close the bedroom doors when we go to bed but the past couple of nights I have opened every single window upstairs and left all the doors open. It seems to draw the air through the house and gives a bit of a cool draught. It's made a big difference and I have been able to sleep much better.

Edited to add: I also have one of the JML Coolmax pillows which I pop in the fridge to cool for a couple of hours before I go to bed. Although it does warm up after a while it great for cooling you down enough to get off to sleep.

Edited at 05:01 PM.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Ive never looked into that sort of thing before. Does it fit to the inside of your windows I’m presuming?

It’ll have to wait a while thanks to being part time and furloughed, but could well be worth it for the future!
Yes it does - it is velcroed onto the frame on the inside. So I could take them down over winter but tend to leave them up year round as I still like to air the house.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

We use this stuff from Amazon for our windows. It’s not the prettiest thing to have up but so much nicer than having all the flies coming in! Amazon fly net
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We gave in and bought an aircon unit about a month ago, its a bit noisy but I always wear 3m earplugs as a legacy of shift working for years.

It has made a massive difference to our sleep as we live in a timber framed house which gets very hot, opening the loft hatch helps as the heat rises .

I am very grateful I got to change my job so no more full PPE in a place which used to get to 30 degrees plus with 80% +humidity and no aircon.
snowbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
We use this stuff from Amazon for our windows. It’s not the prettiest thing to have up but so much nicer than having all the flies coming in! Amazon fly net
We’ve just bought this it works so well!
emmabanana is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

Ok I’ll have to leave this thread as I’m loving these warm evenings!
It’s making me do crazy things
I am currently sat at Mac Donald’s waiting for DH to get the food at 1030pm! The drive through is packed 😂

This huge pick up combined with the temp is giving me Florida vibes 😃

Edited at 10:45 PM.
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
Ok I’ll have to leave this thread as I’m loving these warm evenings!
It’s making me do crazy things
We are currently sat at Mac Donald’s drive through at 1030pm! It’s packed 😂
Hope you enjoyed your meal, we had a Just Eat McDonalds take-away at 9pm. Very tasty it was too.