Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Aug 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 23: Home time :) Reflecting on our trip

We are now safely home from our trip and all very happy to be back!

I just wanted to complete the trip report and reflect a little on the highs and lows.

I am so glad we took this trip! We would never have done it if it wasn’t for the pandemic, and whilst it is no comparison to a holiday in Florida - we have discovered what a beautiful and interesting country we live in. The kids have learned more about where they may possibly want to go to university or even live when they are older.

We definitely grew closer as a family - it took a while to get into the groove of it, but the kids got on better than they have in years, and that made me so happy.

The Highs

So the main high for me has to be our luck with both the weather and the traffic. We stopped taking holidays in the UK years ago when it would constantly rain and be grey and dreary - it just isn’t much fun to go to the beach or the lakes in the rain. This time we were determined the rain wouldn’t stop us and packed rain coats and boots and expected the worst.
I can’t believe that out of 23 days, we only had rain on two of them. We had the heatwave for the first 10 days and then seemed to follow the sun up north and then back south often leaving rain behind us the next day - we really were lucky. I’m under no illusion that it would have been a very different trip had it been grey and rainy the whole time.
We also expected the traffic to be awful on occasions as it often is in the UK on summer holidays - but we didn’t sit in traffic once. Again just down to luck I think and the fact we went south to Devon just before the schools broke up.

Favourite parts of the trip have to include:
Devon in the heatwave - what a gorgeous part of the country! We really could have been abroad with the beautiful coast, beaches and hot weather. Mousehole was an absolute gem.

Gloucester Cathedral - our favourite out of all the cathedrals we visited.

Edinburgh - LOVED this city and definitely will be back to explore more.

York - another gorgeous city with lots more to explore. Amber particularly loved it and wants to go to uni there.

The Scottish Loch’s and countryside - an absolute pleasure to drive through and particularly loved Loch Ness.

The Lows

There really weren’t many to be honest! Obviously it was a tiring trip and we were constantly on the go - but that’s what we wanted and needed after being stuck at home for so long.
We had a few blips such as getting stuck in a lift in the heatwave, no water at Haven for hours, and the lock in the roof box breaking with the key in it - but as stressful as they were at the time, it added to the adventure.

In total we drove 2636 miles! We stopped at over 30 different places and stayed in 13 places.
The challenge of competing Land’s End to John O’Groats really inspired the kids and gave purpose to the trip.

I had slate ‘medals’ engraved and put the pins on from Land’s End and John O’Groats for each of the kids as a momento for the journey. Lila did well and only bought four new cuddly toys 😂

With Elliott turning 19 this year and Sonny doing GCSE’s this coming school year and Amber the next, I’m not sure how many more family holidays we have left together - so this was another reason I am glad we did this holiday.

I would definitely recommend it - there are so many amazing places to see in the UK, and you could definitely do the trip with less stops and at a slower pace.

Thank you again for following our crazy journey!

Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Thank you for sharing your trip, what an adventure and not something that I would ever have thought of! You must have done a lot of planning to organise it. I really enjoyed reading along and there are places that I would like to visit sometime after reading your report I truly impressed that you completed it with 4 kids and 2 dogs I don’t know if I could do it😂
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Those medals are fantastic What a fantastic trip and memories you have made
Old 8 Aug 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Thanks for doing the report whilst you were on your epic trip. I really enjoyed reading along.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Fantastic varied trip that your children will never forget. Very magical.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
VeryexcitedH
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don't often post but just wanted to jump on and say thank you very much for posting your holiday trip reports each day. I absolutely loved reading about your adventures and seeing where you'd got to next. You also inspired us greatly for our mini road trip as we wanted to go the Newcastle to visit the new Hard Rock Cafe (spoiler - it was awful) and as we were in the north were unsure what else to do. We've visited York, Holy Island and Birdoswald Roman Fort, all from your trip report so thank you! 👍
VeryexcitedH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

What a great idea the medals are.
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 22, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have just found your trip report and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, what an amazing holiday

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List