Notices

Old 19 May 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

well i thought i'd check back into my pre-trip and put my current thoughts on the situation.

Personally thinking, as we don't go until the end of October, i am pretty comfortable that the holiday will go ahead. USA is very keen to be open and with a certain election happening while we are there, i am sure Mr Trump will want to present an America that is fully operational

My concerns are a bit different. The whole social distance thing may still be in operation and that will effectively rule out Hollywood. I am 100% sure disney will be re opened, but If Disney Shanghai is anything to go by, then it just won't be the same.

I think WB will be OK as the tours can be managed.

My other concern is one i don't usually have. We are independent travellers and as such have used air BnB and Homeaway for the accommodation. We have used both many times and never had an issue, but this time i am worried that the end owners will be out of business. Reading the terms and conditions, they have made it VERY clear that no deposits will be refunded.

To be honest, its not really the money. if we have to book in at a Hotel its not the end of the world but i don't want the hassle. My insurance will probably cover it, but again its the hassle.

for the first time ever, i wished i had booked the Hilton in annaheim. It was only £250 or so more for the 5 days. But we have never been let down before and under normal circumstances i wouldn't even give it a second thought.

But these are far from normal times.
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

It’s been a bit sad so I have kept away from the boards recently but I’ve come to terms with not going this year now. How I will feel on departure day is another matter!

Anyway, I thought I’d update on all refunds.

BA - brilliant. Had a bad press but I can only speak for myself and they refunded without hassle.

AirBnB - brilliant. Full refund even deposit. Had to wait until 30 days out though. But fair play.

Homeaway - awkward as you deal directly with the homeowners. One in Disney (funtierland) have said it’s no problem to defer to next year so we have taken that option.

But our beachside house in Malibu has been a tester! Wouldn’t let us defer so Kept $250 deposit for a start, then said couldn’t refund to card, wanted a wire transfer, sorted that but then got a dollar cheque refund through the post which we can’t cash! On going...

Attraction Tix - Disney tickets have a expiry of Jan 22 and we plan to go October 21 so that will be OK

ATD - universal tickets. Not too happy with them really. Wanted to keep deposit even though I have not downloaded tickets. Have offered a credit note which I will have to accept as it’s the only way of getting a refund. I’d prefer it if universal extended the expiry. So Universal is really my complaint here as ATD have only enforced their terms.

Anyway, looking to re book later this year for next October.

Sad, and I have to admit I never saw this coming. I was so confident that we would be going. But it just proves what my wife always says...I don’t know what I’m talking about!
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Hi Vertigo, I really feel for you. We are in the same position.
I am 50 in December and had Disney planned for my actual birthday then 9 nights in Palm Springs , Airbnb, then the last 2 nights, Xmas eve and Xmas day in Vegas.
We have first class reward flights there and back with BA. Saved up our avios for 2 years to get these.
My dh is adamant we aren’t cancelling yet but he has agreed to decide by the 28th of October when the October flights are available for next year as we would move it to then if we can get the first class flights again and looking at the availability so far we should get them.
It won’t be the same though but I just keep thinking in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter, but honestly I’m truly gutted as I was so excited to be getting away for my birthday as up till last year I wasn’t allowed holidays at Christmas.
Let’s just look forward to a better holiday in October

Edited at 04:58 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

Ahh man, that’s sounded an incredible trip.

Let’s sulk together. Maybe set up a support group. 😄

Seriously though, like you, I know it’s not important when people are literally losing their lives, but at the same time it’s upsetting and gutting.

Oh well, here’s to my 51st in California instead.
Old 30 Sep 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

That’s ours cancelled. We are moving it to October. Should hopefully still get the flights and have added in a bit extra. Going to London for a couple of nights instead.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

and one year on, we have been cancelled again. We really thought it would be OK. I stayed positive right up to early September when realisation started to seep through.

When the final nail came two weeks ago, i was ready for it. But it still was a nail in the heart.

this time we are unable to rebook. Both daughters leave school this year, one from year 13 to University and one from year 11 to college. Their current school has two weeks holiday in October which has been perfect for us over the past few years.

we can't go in the summer due to exam results and two family weddings - easter is no good due to revision and also another wedding (all rescheduled of course form previous years).

so thats that!

2023 was meant to be the glorious return to Florida with all the new stuff, so it will now be a battle between California and Florida for 2023.

I'm off to sulk for a year.