Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Oct 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Miami - Orlando connecting flights

Looking at indirect flights from London to Miami to Orlando and the same in reverse. The connection time going out is 2hrs 35mins and coming back is 1hr 30. Will this be enough time?

Have only ever flown direct before.

Thanks
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Yes, that should be fine. I work on minimum 2hrs on the way out and 1-1.5hours on the way back. Are you booking it as a through ticket?
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie moomoo
VIP Dibber

Hi,
We have the same flight out with a 2hrs 35mins connection. Our flight back is a little shorter at 2hrs 20mins I think. I saw the flight your referring to and chose the longer wait because they were the same price and its our first non direct flight.

I have read lots of posts where people have said you dont need as long on the return leg.

DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Sept 2013. DLP, Sequoia lodge, GF, Oct 2014. DLP, Santa Fe, May 2015. DLP, Sequoia Lodge GF. May 2016. DLP, Sequoia Lodge. Aug 2017. Les Alicourts Resort 2017 WDW, Caribbean Beach Resort. Sept 2018 Camping La croix du vieux pont 2018 DLP, Sequoia Lodge, GF. Aug 2019.
WDW, Port Orleans Resort, Grande Villas Resort, Cabana Bay Resort. Aug 2022 DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Aug 2023. Les Alicourts Resort 2023
minnie moomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

2h35 could be tight on the outbound if there's any queues in immigration. Miami (like all international hub airports) can be hit or miss depending how busy the hall is when your plane lands. I prefer to have a 3 hour window.

1h30 on the return is fine, all you need to do is change planes. Gives you enough buffer for any delays out of MCO.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Dizzy View Post
Looking at indirect flights from London to Miami to Orlando and the same in reverse. The connection time going out is 2hrs 35mins and coming back is 1hr 30. Will this be enough time?

Have only ever flown direct before.

Thanks
It all depends on the queue at immigration. Check to see if there is a later flight that you can catch if you are held up.
Old 15 Oct 21, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I'd be fine with those connections.

We've flown indirect plenty of times and never missed a connection, although we've had a few sprints through airports to catch a second flight!

There'll be loads of flights between Miami and Orlando and although you'd not be absolutely guaranteed to get on a later flight if you missed that connection, you'd be very unlucky if seats weren't found for you.

It probably comes down to your mindset as much as anything - we're quite relaxed and have a "what will be, will be" attitude. If you know you're more likely to be anxious, to the extent it could ruin your enjoyment, then perhaps look for longer layovers if you can.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

We have flown indirect a few times and missed our connection once (2 hour stopover in Philly which was an absolute nightmare with slow immigration and security) but we just got on another plane a couple of hours later

I wouldn't consider anything less than 2 hours out - nearer 3 would be much better.

On the way back you don't have to do immigration or security at the change point (if changing in USA) and literally get off your plane and walk to the next gate. You also don't need to get your cases as they get moved between the planes.

2hr35 and 1hr30 are good - i would be happy with that.

Edited at 05:26 PM.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 02:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you all so much. I knew the Dibb community would give me piece of mind. I shall book tomorrow. Let the planning commence!
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kermit1982
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Disney Dizzy View Post
Thank you all so much. I knew the Dibb community would give me piece of mind. I shall book tomorrow. Let the planning commence!
Glad to have found your post as I was worried about connections too, did you price London direct to Orlando then Orlando/Miami/London back? For our dates we are provisionally looking at its only £200 more for direct flight out but nearly saving of £1000 coming back. We decided direct out and dont mind a quick stop off in Miami on way home so going for it I think. I was too worried about connection times but was sure I read on way home you don’t need so long. I was originally going to book a flight leaving Orlando around 12.30pm but next flight to London wasn’t 8.45pm so chanced the Later one leaves around 3.45pm landing at 5pm allowing us 3.3/4 hrs 🤞
kermit1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve got 1hr30 connection at Miami returning to Heathrow too so good to hear that’s enough. We had a much longer connection a few years back (having missed a connection a few years before that) but it was hard so went for shorter this time and keeping my fingers crossed and packing some overnight things our hand luggage just in case! We’re going to Washington first on the way out so managed to get that direct.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List