Notices

Old 27 Oct 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

The Tale of The Dangling Carrot!

So, there's me (the Planner), my wife (the resort/pool lover), step-d (the snack lover). Me and Step-D have done most of the leg work and that's the way my wife likes it! I have no issue with that, Disney planning has always been my 'thing'.

Like many, we were planned to go in the year-that-never-happened - 2020. Hopes were dashed, gained, lost, renewed but sadly our original plans always seemed to be like a dangling carrot that never seemed to get any closer.

Throughout 2019 and 2020, the plan was to fly PE with Virgin both ways, arrive at Royal Pacific for a 4 night stay for our Universal fix, then onto Caribbean Beach for 10 nights.

We have never stayed at a Universal Resort before, so this seemed like a nice (new) way to start our stay. We'd never stayed at CBR before either, so lots of new things to try.

Another dangling carrot was lured before us with a free upgrade to an Upper Class flight! Fancy! That kind of stuff never happens to me, but I was not going to turn it down.

Then, everyone's world changed and Disney seemed to be a distant dream. Our plans shifted from March to September to April to November 2021. Mentally, I could suck up all the changes and go with it, until November this year.

We all had the excitement of the travel ban being lifted and, sure enough, in September our wish was going to come true. It would, wouldn't it? Then, the rumours began to fly, news dried up, but nothing official from the USA.

Our flights changed, we had new flight numbers, new times, new seats and upper class was still there, dangling away as ever.

Then...disaster. (The disaster after the other disasters!) Our flight was cancelled with just two days before the resumption date of flying to the USA. That carrot (and the carrot with the carrot!) had finally rotted.

So, so close. And that hit me particularly hard. Not just because we had been so patient, we never thought of cancelling, it was just that the entire year had been so draining - we all needed that break. It would have been Christmassy and totally different to our previous trips too where we had either visited in Spring or late Summer.

...so, a new carrot was thrust before us!

New plans had to be drawn up and we decided to go for January/February 2022, which mentally for me, was great as the carrot wasn't too far away!

The new (and final) plan, should be...

3 Nights at Royal Pacific and 11 nights at Port Orleans Riverside. Despite Caribbean Beach being out of our reach, Port Orleans holds a special place in my heart. I have absolutely no qualms about staying there once more. Alas, that Upper Class carrot was never quite to be, but you could shove me in the hold, I really wouldn't care!

Everything bar the MagicBands is now sorted until the ADR's can be booked in December.

Our rough plan is to do parks in the morning, visit resorts (for lunch and snacks) and/or our own pool in the afternoon, then back to a park or Disney Springs via the beautful boat journey from POR. What I will endeavour to do is to take in every single second. I have missed the bubble, the atmosphere, the history, the happiest place on earth, so very much.

Come Christmas time, it'll be roughly a month to go - I will be as excited as I ever have been to go back. I think I'll cry, I probably will.
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Sounds amazing, I do love the POR I have only ever stayed at the French Quarter and loved it, shame it is not available for my dates! The boat ride to Disney Springs is the best isn't it!

I to had that carrot of club world with BA, but it was not meant to be!

Edited at 05:08 PM.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mostlybobbins
slightly serious Dibber

UPDATE 1.

MagicBands ordered and will be ready to collect from POR. We've gone for the 50th Anniversary bands as a momento. Not sure what other 50th merch we'll plunder, so we know we'll at least have that.

Much to my surprise, we've decided to visit Boma for breakfast. I didn't think the veggies in my party would like to visit there, but they actually do. For $29 dollars each we can practically fill ourselves up for the day. We'll be using some of our Dining Credit for that. What's not to love!
mostlybobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List