Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Apr 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile First car for son advice type and insurance

My son will be 17 in June.
We are going to hopefully buy him a small car, to get him to and from his job. He’s a good lad, working hard and I genuinely don’t think he has a clue we want to get him one.

We’ve sorted his provisional licence and have about £3500 we can put together for it. I’m really conscious as a young lad, the big bit will be insurance. I keep hearing ideas like named drivers or a company called marmalade, but I’m thinking the Dibb will do what the dibb does best, and have the benefit of advice and wisdom.

So, do you have any advice in deciding on both car and insurance?

Incidentally, my son is part way through his pilots licence and has already flown a small plane solo unaccompanied...but cannot yet drive a car. Blows my mind!

First thoughts are Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo or a little Kia... but open to advice.

Thanks, as ever, in advance
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, our eldest DS had a 107 and DS2 has an Aygo, One used Tesco and the other hastings for insurance just what was cheapest at the time.
We paid around £1100 for their first years insurance with a black box. We tried a combination of me / DH / granddad on insurance as a more mature driver brings it down.
Both cars have £20 tax too and have been great for them.
Old 5 Apr 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Even now at 50 my insurance comes down when I add two additional drivers on. I was lucky my Dad’s company owned my first few cars and I was on the company insurance policy
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Firstly if your DS is 17 in June I would suggest getting an instructor booked now as it may be later than June they can take them on due to the backlog.

As for a car, those mentioned are popular with early passers and as such often not the cheapest to insure. Our DD looked at those, along with the Polo and settled on a Hyundai i20 with the larger 1.4 petrol engine at under £700 when fully passed compared to an Aygo, Ka or 107. This was also without any telematics device installed. So do look outside of the usual suspects.

Insurance whilst they are a learner will be cheaper, but you have to look at what policy is best for when they pass. Some were £300 as a learner, but £3k when passed. Some learner policies get cancelled when they pass and you only get a small proportion back if the unused policy.

You can get on top policies that allow him to drive the family car for a good rate. This is often a good route whilst he is doing lessons and then buy the car when he has passed.

Adding drivers is good as long as they are older and have a good record. Always make sure DS is the policy holder though. Job title can also make a difference, so if there are more than one that could apply, try them all.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

I'd go with a Seat, Toyota or VW and try Adrian Flux for the insurance.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

My son had an Aygo, daughter has a 107, essentially the same car. Insurance roughly 1100, sons came down to £600ish in second year(daughter still in first year).
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are in a similar position, our Son is 17 in May. He is on a waiting list for driving lessons and the instructor suggested booking his theory test so that part was sorted. Earliest theory test we could book was July. Might be an idea to look into that too.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We found that the cheaper cars had way higher insurance, not always the best option. Also, my sons second year insurance was cheaper WITHOUT a black box.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our Daughter has a fiesta. The first year insurance we got stung for £1200.00, the following year it was £550.00

First year she had a black box fitted, second year it was no box which was a relief for us if we had to drive it

She wanted the same car she had lessons in as she was familiar with it.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My son is with wise insurance he has a black box but no restrictions
His first car was a 1.6tdci fiesta ZetecS £1100 the first year , £820 the second year
Both my husband and I are down as named drivers

His friends have Corsa’s mostly 1.2 and all cost more than his to insure.

His car is also really cheap to run , £20 a year tax and does 55-60 mpg .

We also let him choose what car he wanted , he’s got to drive it not us and he wouldn’t have wanted anything like a Aygo .

Edited at 07:28 PM.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List