Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 2 Oct 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Taking DSLR over Camera Phone

Does anyone still take a camera. We traveled quite a few years ago as a couple and I think I took some decent snaps. It's a lot of gear to lug around in terms of weight and bulk. Going back and keen to capture some magical moments with kids but not sure if it's worth the hassle. What does everyone else do?

Some examples:

nige106 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I took mine but it’s a mirrorless one so smaller. And I didn’t take it out everyday.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
macgasbp
Imagineer

Phone cameras have come a long way and today’s mobile phone cameras are a match for the upper mid range stand alone camera
macgasbp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Mines full frame so not exactly small, coupled with 16-80 F2.8 lens for walking about. The only good thing is the bag is mega comfy.
nige106 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

For me it depends.

A DSLR is still a million times better than the best phone camera (which are simply limited by physics). However, the latest camera phones are excellent.

If I am just out and about, or if I am somewhere familiar, I will just use my phone.

If I am somewhere new or special, I will take my DSLR.

I also have a more compact Lumix LX100 which also takes pictures nearly as good as my DSLR, but functionality is more limited - specifically that I cant change lenses. Though the standard lens is amazing.

So its horses for courses for me. Each of us has to decide what is "good enough" for ourselves.

Edited at 02:08 PM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
2020holibubbles
Excited about Disney

I’ll still probably take mine but only use it every other day, for some special family photo moments; mine definitely produces better photos despite being 6 years older than my iPhone. But the iPhone can capture the bulk of the photos for ease of carrying about.
2020holibubbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

If you use a DSLR on ‘auto’ all the time, then I would agree that a Cameraphone will produce reasonably comparable shots, certainly if you intend that they are printed 6x4 inches. .
If you want to ‘spot metre’ to prevent dark objects against a bright background as happens a lot in the Florida sunlight, or to ‘spot focus’ , then of course, the DSLR will come out on top as the Cameraphone works in averages only.
It also depends on whether you want to use menu options of which a Camera (including a compact), will have many.

I also take an Olympus underwater camera for water parks, Discovery Cove etc.

I take DSLR (Eos 77D), Underwater Camera (Olympus TG-4) and yes, my Mobile phone.. and that is as a person who travels Hand Baggage only!

Edited at 08:14 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

for 90% of snapshots you wont tell the difference between a phone and DSLR
the 10% will include
1) long/wide lens shots
2) poor light
3) fast shutter speeds
4) shallow DOF

In most of those phones have improved dramatically over the last few years and will do even more

Is it worth the weight - personal choice of course But I always find I've left the lens behind that I really need !
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We used to take so many cameras with us everywhere - SLRs, compacts, then DSLR... over the years, we used them less and less so now only have our phones on holiday. We still have loads of cameras at home but generally don't use them. My 15yo son who's taking photography at GCSE uses a bridge (they all use the same type at school) but again, out and about it's his phone he uses.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MrPenguin
Serious Dibber

I’m not a hardcore photographer by any stretch.

I take a decent point and shoot camera I bought a while back that wasn’t cheap. Again, not the same as a DSLR but much easier to clip on my bag and grab at a moments notice and doesn’t really weigh anything.

Now though, for the most part I think I’d use my iPhone.

I seem to use a mix of the both on my trips and it works for me.

I do force myself to get the ones from my point and click developed though to go in albums which is always nice.
MrPenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List