Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Oct 21, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Did you need proof of a Covid test on arrival, and if so was it a supervised version taken at a testing centre?
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

If you could let us know what being out and about in Orlando is like, regarding mask wearing / food & drink ordering, that'd be great. Especially if you're doing I Drive / Icon Park.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pauleuk
Earning More Ears

Hey all. Sorry for jumping in your thread stanleycamel, but we did the same route and have been in Orlando for a couple or weeks so thought I'd add some commentary too.

We did the verifly app from Barbados to Miami which meant it was easier to board the plane. I think BA use this too, but our flight was American Airlines. I don't think virgin use verifly. This meant we were pre authorised for the flight and didn't need any paperwork at the airport in Barbados. At Miami the security guard waved us through with just pictures and no fingerprints in about 2mins total. No queueing.

Wdw feels mostly safe. 90%+ of people are adhering to Disney's requirement for masks indoors with the odd exception. Some people insist on taking it off when out of eyesight and some pull it down so it's not covering their noses. We are tending to use a mask outdoors too if it's busy like for the fireworks. It's far to hot for a mask all day every day though.

Outside of the parks (which we haven't done a lot of) it feels a little less safe but we are just wearing a mask everywhere. When wearing a mask we feel fine and I guess this is no different to being in the UK.

The one time we didn't feel safe was the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom. Stuffed in like sardines and a maskless girl sneezed on my arm twice. Otherwise aok. Super pleased we came and overall much safer than we hoped.

Finally we have had two hire cars. Alamo was a success... The car felt clean and sanitised. Avoid avis if you want clean. We used most of a pack of wipes cleaning it

Originally Posted by khonsu View Post
If you could let us know what being out and about in Orlando is like, regarding mask wearing / food & drink ordering, that'd be great. Especially if you're doing I Drive / Icon Park.
HKD/TDL/SDR - 2019

Edited at 06:02 PM.
Pauleuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

Where'd you stay overnight at MIA? How was it?

I've heard reports restaurants are struggling for staff... how've you found it?
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Haven't been out to any of the main restaurant chains yet but popped in to Chick Fil A for a sandwich (eat in) - all staff wearing masks, sanitising stations available and the bins to put your rubbish in were motion sensitive so as soon as you put food near it it opened up. I also noticed that when tables were vacated a member of staff came around with sanitsing wipes and cleaned all the furniture down. Quite a positive experience.

Walmart - have signs recommending the wearing of face masks but I would say it was 50/50 going around the store.

If I get up towards I Drive I will certainly update.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pauleuk View Post
Hey all. Sorry for jumping in your thread stanleycamel, but we did the same route and have been in Orlando for a couple or weeks so thought I'd add some commentary too.

We did the verifly app from Barbados to Miami which meant it was easier to board the plane. I think BA use this too, but our flight was American Airlines. I don't think virgin use verifly. This meant we were pre authorised for the flight and didn't need any paperwork at the airport in Barbados. At Miami the security guard waved us through with just pictures and no fingerprints in about 2mins total. No queueing.

Wdw feels mostly safe. 90%+ of people are adhering to Disney's requirement for masks indoors with the odd exception. Some people insist on taking it off when out of eyesight and some pull it down so it's not covering their noses. We are tending to use a mask outdoors too if it's busy like for the fireworks. It's far to hot for a mask all day every day though.

Outside of the parks (which we haven't done a lot of) it feels a little less safe but we are just wearing a mask everywhere. When wearing a mask we feel fine and I guess this is no different to being in the UK.

The one time we didn't feel safe was the Lion King show at Animal Kingdom. Stuffed in like sardines and a maskless girl sneezed on my arm twice. Otherwise aok. Super pleased we came and overall much safer than we hoped.

Finally we have had two hire cars. Alamo was a success... The car felt clean and sanitised. Avoid avis if you want clean. We used most of a pack of wipes cleaning it
Really appreciate your input Pauleuk -everything helps. We did Verifly which AA did seem to prefer and to be honest didn't find it a problem loading the information. We were asked for our inbound boarding passes for Virgin at the check in desk at BGI and the agent didn't ask any questions. Haven't looked at the return journey for BA and Verifly yet as it is far too early for our journey back.

Did have an odd experience in MIA immigration - the hall was really busy with flights other flights from Mexico, Los Cabos etc so there were very big queues of US Citizens and Non-Citizens and as I have GE just sauntered up to the empty kiosks and through in 10 seconds flat. No questions etc. What a refreshing change

We had chosen to stay overnight and not risk the 1 hr 35 min connection and so glad we did if our experience was anything to go by it would be non stop worry - bags took at least 45mins to appear and everyone has to leave through the same exit and then peel off for the transfer desk which had a huge queue. If I had been on the connecting flight it would have been really stressful- GE really helped.

Edited at 01:22 AM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by Briggykins View Post
Where'd you stay overnight at MIA? How was it?

I've heard reports restaurants are struggling for staff... how've you found it?
We only had 12 hours in MIA so had booked the MIA (airport hotel) picked up bags, checked in, went down to Air Margaritaville for some food then back to the room and up at 6am to check in for the domestic. So really can't comment on the outside world of Miami at this stage.

On the evening of arrival there was only AM and Subway open - lots of the other shops, cafes etc still closed and next morning around 7 am the airport was virtually empty. It was very much like when we had to leave in March 2020 - I had some lovely chats with the staff in the Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges and some of them got quite emotional as they had just returned to work. I loved the email password for the lounges- WelcomeBack

Had my routine walk around Celebration yesterday followed by a Kilwins and there was a lovely English lady behind the counter and she said how lovely it was to hear an English voice. I said in reply there are a huge number of people just waiting to come over and I am sure a warm welcome awaits.
Old 5 Oct 21, 03:53 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I was watching a video on YouTube today. Well several including a guy who has gone in via Mexico for two weeks first twice. Verifly seems to work extremely well.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

Well done StanleyCamel, enjoy your time out there in the sunshine state 👍

5 weeks tomorrow since we flew back from Miami, and it seems like a different lifetime 🙂

We've flights already booked with BA for next summer, so we have something big to aim for... saying that we've a caravan booked on Anglesey soon, so what am I moaning about 🙂

Covid wise, I think only Disney made it seem as if they were actively doing something. We found social distancing to be none existent.

Yet saying that, & ohh I might be a bit controversial here, but it was a blessed relief to feel a huge sense of normality in the lack of mask wearing.

Anyway I'm reminiscing, whilst you're actually there.

Appreciated the flight checks you did for us, and just want to wish you all the best for your Florida trip 👍

Richard
logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
logic500
Excited about Disney

We were there last month for three weeks. Visited Icon Park a couple of times.

The only place that required masks in the area was Cici's Pizza. And that was only for when you went to go to the buffet.

Ripleys had a sign recommending masks, but no one was wearing them.

Overcrowded in there, and certainly wouldn't go in again. Third visit... will never learn 😅

We also visited Memphis, and Miami during our time in the US, and it's pretty much like covid didn't happen, aside from the Disney parks.

logic500 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List