Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Oct 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
alibeau
VIP Dibber

New York - first time.

Hi,

Considering a short break in New York.

No idea where to start!

Thinking 5 nights for 2 adults and 1 teen.

Would prefer to stay somewhere close to all the sights... any hotel recommendations?

What are the must see's?

Possibly Jan or Feb all being well...

Would prefer to book a package rather than DIY.

Thanks.

Ali x
alibeau is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Love NY 🇺🇸🍎
Things to see :

Book most tickets beforehand

Top of the Rock, maybe ice skating too at Rockefeller Centre

One world Observatory

Central Park

Statue of Liberty, maybe the crown

Times Square of course

See a show

Walk Brooklyn Bridge

Both our hotels we stayed in have since closed down apart from Salisbury Hotel was ok & near to the park

I’d try and stay anywhere around 40- 50th Street if possible
It’s very easy to get around, you walk loads & the Subway great to use
Wrap up too, it’s going to be cold, you might get lucky & see some snow ❄️☃️
We went one Xmas, it was fab
Enjoy your planning
X
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went in Feb 2018, got a really good deal by booking flight and hotel with BA, we went for 5 nights. Whatever you plan to do, allow some time to just walk around and soak up the atmosphere - look up and be amazed by the sheer height of the buildings. Take advantage of the time different and get to busy places like the Empire State or TotR as they open.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We went in February 2019. Our must see was the Crown of the Statue of Liberty, the One World Centre which completely took my breath away, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 museum. It’s all must see !

We went up the Empire State building to see the night skyline. I checked the sunset times beforehand and went up Rockefeller Centre about an hour before so we saw the skyline in the daytime and at sunset. One World Centre we did in the daytime.
The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island were almost a full day.
Central Park again we could have spent all day there.

I would be careful about booking time slots in advance because if the weather is bad/ foggy you won’t be able to rearrange. Obviously I don’t know situation about booking since Covid. The Crown does need to be pre booked several months in advance.

We stayed at the Broadway Plaza Hotel. It was about a 15 minute walk from Times Square and right next to a subway station. The rooms were huge as we also were travelling with older children. It included a free breakfast too.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Definitely One world observatory, you’re literally in the clouds and battery park is good for a sit down.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Only been once which was start of December 19 and literally only booked flight, hotel and airport transfer before we went. Had three nights and a tick list of what we wanted to do and did it all booking when we were there. Well worth working out what u want to do and mapping it all so you do all of one area on the same day and don’t find yourself trekking miles just to visit one attraction in an area you spent all day in two days earlier. We were meant to go back this Easter but definitely planning a return one day
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

We stayed at the novotel near times square. Booked with flights via BA..taxi from jfk was easy and a set fee. All above advice is great. We didnt have time to do top of rockerfella and empire state so did top of rocks so we could see the iconic empire across the city and the rocks also had a great view of central park (which is HUGE! ) Get yourself a little guidebook which really helps you to plan and usually has good tips etc. The kne I bought had a pull out map too which was really useful and I found easier to use to plan our days and get our bearings when we were there than trying to look at maps on a phone or tablet. Just in our room though, not out in the streets! Its a great place, youll have a fab time.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The guide book we had was DK Eyewitness. It was really good and came with a little map. It helped to arrange the places you were visiting in one area to save darting around the city. There was also a really good app which planned days for you, giving the best routes, nearest subway stations. Can’t think of the name of it. If I remember I will edit !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

We went in Feb 2020. Stayed at the Sherburne Hotel by Affinia. Was a good location for us. We walked most places but also got the subway when we were worn out. As everyone else has said, so many great sights, do as much as you can and take comfortable shoes!
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

If you want to be wow’ed and see things that you would not otherwise see, experience things that you would otherwise miss, and learn about the ‘real’ New York, I strongly suggest you set aside a morning to be taken round Manhattan by a Big Apple Greeter.

Google ‘Big Apple Greeters’ for more info. Its a free service, operated by local volunteers, often retired New Yorkers.

It made our New York experience very special.

Disney332