Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Oct 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

BA Companion Voucher and children

So I've earned a companion voucher with my BA Amex card. I'd like to know if I am able to book the reward flights for me and my husband, then pay cash to add my kids to the booking? If I can, does anyone know how much a child's fare is, or how I can find out.

Our travel route would be GLA-LGW-TPA and same back

Thanks

First trip to Florida: June 2013
First family trip: Disney Oct 2019
Latest family trip to Florida: Treasure Island, Universal October 2022
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

This sounds too obvious but do a dummy booking for your dates for a child? Like a normal price search.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Tried that. There needs to be at least one adult on the booking

irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sneeks85
Very Serious Dibber

The child needs to be booked alongside an adult. So when we used ours, my husband and child had to use the voucher and I had to do a seperate flight booking. Slightly annoying!
Sneeks85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

So I could book me and one of my kids with the voucher, then book my husband and other kid on another booking? It is a bit annoying because we'd like to be together, but If that's how it is then that's what it is.

By the way, I had a look at the single adult price, then added the 2 kids and it added just over £1000 so they must be around £500 each. Then it also gives you the option to see the price breakdown lol Thanks guys

Can't believe you can't just add kids to the booking. What a long way round the houses if you ask me

Old 20 Oct 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

BA will not mix cash and Avios fares on the same booking.

Either (as mentioned above) make 2 bookings each with 1 adult and 1 child, with the downside that you will pay one adult and one child cash fare as opposed to two child fares, plus the other inconveniences of separate tickets.

OR

If you have the Avios and can get reward availability, book all 4 on one Avios booking using the companion voucher, effectively turning your 2for1 into a 4for3. I have done this multiple times.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

I'm about 68000 Avios short for that approach I'm afraid, that was my initial plan :/

Old 20 Oct 21, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

We just booked a reward flight for the 3 of us and managed to get 3 return to NYC for the last 6 days of the Easter holiday for 40k Avios and just £650 in fees.

The same flights on the BA website is now £4500!
rambocat1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by rambocat1974 View Post
We just booked a reward flight for the 3 of us and managed to get 3 return to NYC for the last 6 days of the Easter holiday for 40k Avios and just £650 in fees.

The same flights on the BA website is now £4500!
Does your booking include a Saturday night?
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by irnjaw View Post
I'm about 68000 Avios short for that approach I'm afraid, that was my initial plan :/
Understood. It is possible to buy Avios, though it is quite likely to work out more expensive in cash terms than buying the tickets on separate bookings, in order to get the convenience of having everyone on one booking (and you'd only want to do it if you were sure the reward availability would be there, which isn't a given most of the time).

BA does occasionally offer bonuses for buying Avios, I've had a couple of offers this year to buy Avios with 50% bonus Avios compared to the normal amount of Avios for a given cash payment. That might bring it into financial equality, but you'd still need the reward availability at the time the Avios balance was high enough. Probably a bit risky for most people.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List