Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Oct 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Driving from Miami to Orlando

We are flying into Miami and staying overnight at the airport hotel and picking the car up the following morning.

Having not done this route before, in retrospect, we should maybe have picked the car up and booked a hotel at the beach but we didn’t!

We have arranged to pick the car up at 10am but we are now wondering if we should pick it up earlier.

For those of you who have driven from Miami to Orlando what time would you pick the car up?
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We would have driven up the day we landed, failing that we would have collected it around 8am
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Briggykins
Helping Minnie

I've seen elsewhere (perhaps someone who knows more than me can confirm) that you're likely to be able to pick up your car as early as you like, as long as it doesn't add an extra day to your hire period. So you could mosey on over to the hire car centre at 7am and if they've got a car available - as they likely will at an airport location - then you're good to go.

Again, not verified this myself, but I'm going to give it a shot when we go.
Briggykins is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
We would have driven up the day we landed, failing that we would have collected it around 8am
We leave home at 4am for airport so felt it was just too much for DH and Dd to drive on arrival.
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Briggykins View Post
I've seen elsewhere (perhaps someone who knows more than me can confirm) that you're likely to be able to pick up your car as early as you like, as long as it doesn't add an extra day to your hire period. So you could mosey on over to the hire car centre at 7am and if they've got a car available - as they likely will at an airport location - then you're good to go.

Again, not verified this myself, but I'm going to give it a shot when we go.
Oh thanks for that I will ask Andy at DFCH.
Old 27 Oct 21, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

I always pick the car up and stay near the airport and drive up the next morning. First morning most people are wide awake extra early. I’m normally on the road by 6am and in Orlando around 10am.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We would usually collect the car from the airport and drive out to the beach where we’d stay overnight and set off around 10ish. This time, due to the extortionate car hire costs we’ll be taxiing from the airport to the beach and staying overnight before picking up the car and driving up the next morning
Old 28 Oct 21, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
Oh thanks for that I will ask Andy at DFCH.
Hi Sara, may I suggest you Google map a route selecting 'avoid tolls', which is what I recently did for our drive to Bokeelia. The 27 is a canny route if you want to avoid the I95
Old 28 Oct 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sara_toga View Post
We are flying into Miami and staying overnight at the airport hotel and picking the car up the following morning.

Having not done this route before, in retrospect, we should maybe have picked the car up and booked a hotel at the beach but we didn’t!

We have arranged to pick the car up at 10am but we are now wondering if we should pick it up earlier.

For those of you who have driven from Miami to Orlando what time would you pick the car up?
We did this route in 2018, landed at MIA at approx 18.30, we picked up car from Avis and drove practically next to the airport to the Hyatt were we spent the night. We checked in at 20.30, so it took us 2 hours to do immigration and customs and pick the car up. We were up very early due to the time difference around 4.30am and had breakfast in the hotel, we got on the road up to orlando just as the sun was rising and we made it to universal at around 9.30am. Glad we did it this was as by the time we checked in to the hotel next to MIA we were all shattered.

This is the link to the hotel we used, breakfast was included. hyatt/en-US/hotel/fl...ort-east/miaze

Edited at 01:59 PM.
scouser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

Thank you. We will need to look at the route up. We don’t usually use toll roads so no idea how to pay etc. Or just to find a non toll route and stop at a few places on the way up!