Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 28 Jan 17, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
S_C_O_T_T
Being a bit Goofy

Thumbs up Honeymoon May/June 2018

Hello everyone.

1st post, although i have been browsing recently.

We are currently going through the process of booking our wedding in the Wynn in Vegas, then our plan is to fly to Orlando. We will more than likely land in the morning on Wed 30th May 2018. We will more than likely leave on the 13th/14th of June, before heading to New Orleans for 3 or 4 days before heading home.

I've never been to Orlando, my wife to be has been as a child, so we are both very green.

Initially i planned to stay in a villa for most of that time.

Having looked around the site for the past few days, i have come to the conclusion that it probably makes sense to spend 2-3 nights in one of the Universal Hotels, to take advantage of the Unlimited Fast Pass.

Will debate whether or not its worth going club lounge, based on budget.

Not sure about stopping at Disney, not sure if it's worth it yet. If i chose to spend a couple of nights at a Disney hotel, the advantage i get would be the Magic Band and 60 days pre booking, rather than 30 days pre booking, correct?

May 18 is a long time off yet, so i doubt i can book some of the things just yet.

I'm currently thinking that we will get a Combo park ticket, which are currently in the £500 region for 14 days. When the 2018 tickets become more readily available, is that the best price i am likely to expect? So buy them when i get the chance.

I have a few other things i want to go over, but i'll just stagger the conversation a bit

Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited at 11:55 PM.
S_C_O_T_T is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Prices for tickets will only increase so locking in that price is wise. However. If there is any chance at all you might choose to stay on site at Disney with free dining don't buy tickets now as you will be required to buy your Disney tickets as part of the package to get the free dining. Next years deals if it follows the pattern will appear around April this year. I highly recommend a Universal deluxe hotel. You pay for parking daily so if you don't want a car on your Universal days be aware of that. I honeymooned in orlando 19 years ago and 10 trips later will never be rich. Enjoy but beware. It's addictive!
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
S_C_O_T_T
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks for the reply Scooby.

I will keep my eyes on the Disney deals. It something we are willing to consider, although i'm not sure what will work out better.

My fiancee has some reservations that we won't be able to escape kids if we are in Disney, if we are surrounded by them in the day and stay in a Disney hotel. Is this far from accurate?

Thanks for letting me know it will be approximately April time, that was one of the things i was going to ask.

Do the prices for hotels remain the same, during the offers, or do they prices increase to counter balance some of the cost?

Assuming we decided to go with a Disney and get a free DDP when the offer is live. How fast do they sell out? Will i need to be online the minute it comes online?, like Glastonbury tickets and hope for the best?

Are there qualifying tiers to the offers in terms of which hotels qualify? or can you stop at any Disney hotel to qualify? So i can start to plan which hotels we can afford to stop in and see whether it makes financial sense, or whether it makes more sense to stay offsite and buy our own food with the cost difference.
S_C_O_T_T is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DiddyDan
Excited about Disney

Hey!

My husband and I did Orlando and Vegas last October, it was amazing! But be aware, we were shattered with all the walking you do in both places! (Especially as the Wynn in Vegas, is at one end of the strip.)

The prices for the Disney hotels tend to stay the same or even come down when the free DDP is offered, so you don't need to worry about them going up.

You don't need to worry about them selling out that quickly, but be aware Saratoga and Old Key West are highly popular, so I wouldn't hang around if you wanted to book them.

Yes, the moderate resorts offer the quick service dining plan, and the deluxe resorts offer the Disney dining plan (which is 1 counter service and 1 table service meal a day). You may want to read up on this to work out which is best for you.

Are you having a car in Orlando? This may help you decide where to stay, as obviously having a car you can drive yourself anywhere to have dinner, if your not having a car, it might be easier to stay in Disney with the DDP.

Hope this helps!

With parents 00,01,04,07,12,13-With Dave! Xmas 08 Villa/09 Vegas-LA-San Fran/10 NY-Orlando KV, VB, RP & BLT/11 Vegas/12 LA & Disney Cali/14 DLP/15 Orlando Wedding/16 Orlando Poly & SSR & Vegas/17 Orlando BLT & SSR/17 DLP/18 Orlando
DiddyDan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Feb 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
S_C_O_T_T
Being a bit Goofy

Thanks for the reply DiddyDan,

Good to know it won't be an immediate sell out.
I suspect our budget will only go as far as a Intermediate hotel like the CBR, which if i have read correctly, still qualifies for a the DDP. Please correct me if i am wrong on that. I've 100% read CBR qualifies for DDP, over QS, so hopefully that is accurate.

We will be getting a car, for the entire time we are there. Even if we are on site, we will still want a car for the few days we aren't doing the parks. We might want to take a trip out somewhere, down the coast, maybe BG.
Old 6 Jun 17, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Consider an alternative...

Hi SCOTT,

This is my third attempt at trying to write this message as I keep on hitting the refresh button and I keep having to start over lol.

Anyway, I thought I'd offer a counter argument to staying in a Disney Hotel, partly because I like to play devils advocate but mostly because this is a subject we've debated heavily over the last few weeks.

Long story short, we're getting married in April 2018 and have decided to spend 3 weeks in FL on our honeymoon. We debated long and hard over a Disney hotel but ultimately decided against it.
Here are our reasons why:

1) Cost - Yep this is a big one. Don't get me wrong, we're not coming over to FL on shoestring (and far from it in fact) but we really struggled to see the value of a Disney Hotel. There are no two ways about it, you WILL PAY MORE for a Disney Hotel vs a Non-Disney equivalent and you can even find nicer hotels for a much cheaper price than what Disney has to offer. We wanted a nicer hotel (with it being a honeymoon) so for us it meant at least a moderate Disney hotel - we were looking at Port Orleans.

2) Eating out - The Disney Dining Plan sounds like a nice idea but do you really want to consign yourself to eating in-house every night during your stay? It's your honeymoon so get out and sample some different places. The additional cost of a dining plan vs the quality on offer + the overall cost of the hotel room doesn't make sense for us. The food from the fast service counter looks pretty average from what we've seen too (though I'll stand to be corrected). Many outside restaurants (such as the Ponderosa) offer an all you can eat breakfast for a very reasonable price and we think this is a great alternative example to consider.

3) How much time are you actually going to spend in the hotel? Yes it's your honeymoon so you want that luxury experience (and I'm not saying don't) but ask yourself how much time you'll realistically be in the hotel. If you're like us, we're going to be out by 8am latest and back no earlier than 11-12am most days. Does the cost adjust for this?

4) Think about the extra cost of the Disney Hotel vs what that money could actually mean on spends/souvenirs? For us, it was a Disney Hotel vs Jet Skiing with Dolphins and there was only going to be one winner there.

5) You have a car which negates the need for you to stay on site. It means you have more freedom and can travel to the parks/restaurants whenever you wish.

There are of course some benefits that we can see but these weren't enough to sway it for us:

1) Dining plans make it convenient and you don't need to worry about food.
2) Free Parking for guests who stay in a Disney Hotel (Saves about 18$ a day)
3) Magic Bands linking charges to room or credit card
4) Extra Magic Hours - before opening or after closing at select parks on select days.
5) Immerse yourself in the Disney Experience 24/7 - I.e. Character meals.

For us, we realised that the cost of a Disney Hotel was too great when we started thinking about what we could spend that extra money on. We've got a hotel that's equally as nice for significantly less than a Disney one would cost us and that extra money is going towards nicer meals out and spends whilst in the park.

I'm sure I'll have annoyed many hardcore Disney goers with this post but it's just our opinion and the way we're approaching our honeymoon.

Anyway, I hope this has at least given a little balance to the Disney argument and given you something else to think about.

All the best!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List