Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

It makes me feel so sad that our children are living in a world where instead of looking forward to a holiday with joy and excitement, as they should be, instead they are filled with fear.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
afcajax73
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by xXxSammi88xXx View Post
We went to London the week after the attacks there and now this. I think i should put someone else in charge of our trips away
I've had a similar conversation at work this morning. A colleague pre booked a trip to London for two days after the attacks, he's off to Barcelona tomorrow, and also booked up a year ago when they had forest fires in Portugal.

Another colleague commented that these aren't coincidences, but more like warnings to pass to others... just turns out he's mistaken them for feelings of where to go on holiday next

in all seriousness though,

I would imagine it will be one of the safest places in Spain to be right now. Go and enjoy yourself and remember all the good things
afcajax73 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

Unfortunately if people stop going on holiday or to places where there has been an attack this means that the terrorists have won.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I tend not to show my son the news. I think newsround is all they should watch at that age.

These 24 hour channels make it look like Armageddon showing the same 15 seconds of panic as if it's lasting hours.

In reality things go back to normal pretty quickly.

Try to put it into perspective. There's more chance of you guys winning 100 million this Friday than being caught up in any incident there.

Now they have a name the whole cell will be rounded up and everyone they ever contacted will be watched. They simply can't attack the same place twice as they are all watched. It's the safest place to go in Europe at the moment.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hidden mickey
Imagineer

Mobile

We were scheduled to go to Thailand a couple of days after the bombings two years ago, we went as we thought and explainined to children it was likely to be safer. There were lots of extra safety checks and we did feel safe including DD who was 12 at the time and very anxiety. Remember sitting in the plane crying, look back now and glad we went .
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Niki Mouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I tend not to show my son the news. I think newsround is all they should watch at that age.

These 24 hour channels make it look like Armageddon showing the same 15 seconds of panic as if it's lasting hours.

Try to put it into perspective. There's more chance of you guys winning 100 million this Friday than being caught up in any incident there.

Now they have a name the whole cell will be rounded up and everyone they ever contacted will be watched. They simply can't attack the same place twice as they are all watched. It's the safest place to go in Europe at the moment.
I agree and also shelter them from the news, however school have said prayers after attacks have happened. Understand, but 😡
Niki Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We as adults can rationlize that it's likely to be safer now and the chances of being caught up in a terrorist attack are miniscule, but it's hard to convey that to children.
The news also showed Las Ramblas going almost back to normal the following day, can you show her that. Or maybe reassurance that you'll keep away from more crowded areas if that's possible.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 07:25 AM.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post

Totally agree agree. The news is not a feature in our house at all
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ems35
Apprentice Imagineer

I understand where your coming from we are flying to Reus on Tuesday for a week in Salou bit to close for my liking but we cannot stop these animals from living our lives. We were going to Cambrilis for the day but dont think we will now we will just have to be more vigilant and be more aware of our surroundings
Old 19 Aug 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well we are still going ahead. She's nearly 11 constantly on an ipad doing selfies or talking to her mates.She was bound to see it one way or the other,its on newsround too. She may be a child but i want her to be prepared if something did happen so we have had a chat and she is now very much looking forward to her holiday