Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 7 Aug 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
lwhit_x
Getting Excited

Signature Dining

I'm currently trying to plan out the use of our dining credits, we've got 10 days worth of TS credits and because of days we will be spending at Universal, we may be able to have one signature meal.

Is it worth the use of two TS credits?
Where would people recommend?
lwhit_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Its a tough question to answer, as really it depends a lot on your party's tastes. But as someone who enjoys finer food, I would say it is certainly worth doing. That said, last year with a 2 year old in tow we decided against it, thinking that extra character breakfasts were a better use of those extra credits.)

I have only eaten in one Signature so far (Jikos), and really enjoyed the meal which was by far the best I have had in Florida. Reading through the reviews of other signatures, on the whole that seems to be a pretty consistent opinion.

This year we are booked to try both the California Grill and Tiffins, and I cant wait to see how they compare.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have gradually increased the number of signatures we do. We find the food and service worth the extra credit. We like Le Cellier, The Yachtsman and Narcoossee's and are trying Hollywood Brown Derby for the first time this year.
That said, there are lots of lovely 1 credit places too.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LexiBantam
Excited about Disney

We had three signatures last year - Tiffins was lovely food and DH's favourite. I'm not a fussy eater, but there wasn't a huge amount on the menu that I fancied. The Boathouse was our final night - lovely setting, sitting outside by the water, but we all had burgers, and although they were nice, I wouldn't use two credits again. The absolute winner of the three was California Grill - all four of us had amazing meals, and going outside to watch the fireworks between courses made the evening really special. If we are lucky enough to go again, CG will be top of the list. My only mistake was to "save it" as a treat for the end of the holiday - it was our penultimate night, and looking down at MK, knowing that we wouldn't be going was a bit too emotional and we all had a few tears!
LexiBantam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi would actually recommend you do 2, our favourites narcoosses ,Cali grill both great for firework after dinner., also yachtsman. If you consider that your first day on moving in that you may not use a T S and also your day or 2 at universal . For your counter service places like blaze pizza Disney springs are great and in fact a pizza between 2 or 2 between 3 is adequate .
How many in your party.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Another yes for the California Grill - fabulous meal and views! We are certainly going to be making more of the deluxe restaurants the next time we are on the DDP!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Worth is definitely going to depend on your tastes and the restaurant. There are some very expensive Signature dishes (steaks at Yachtsman come to mind) and also some almost QS price meals (burgers at Boathouse as an example). So take a look at the menus, figure out what you'd like, and do the maths. A TS credit is "worth" around $35. So for a Signature, I'd want to be looking for mains to be in the $50 price range to consider it good value.

Every time I redo my dining plans, I seem to sneak another Signature onto the list. Changing our plans to go during F&G (guessing from your countdown you might just be there for the start) freed up another credit as we will go to the booths one evening which all use snack credits. So now I'm up to 3 Sigs in 8 days.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
On a 14 night trip it's very easy to do some signatures - we've done 4 each time, by using credits from offsite and off-plan days (for example, we ate round the world at Food & Wine Festival for a day using snack credits, so didn't use any TS credits that day). Also you won't need one for your arrival day, and we found it better to use a CS credit on our last day to give us maximum park time.

Hollywood Brown Derby for the Fantasmic dining package was fab.

Our other favourites:

Jiko
Yachtsman
Artist Point
Flying Fish

We were less keen on California Grill, too busy and rushed.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

We did California Grill and Hollywood Brown Derby (fantasmic package) last year. Cali Grill was a great experience and lovely food. HBD surprised us by being best meal we had last year. If you do the package it's actually good value out of pocket too at $65pp for 3 courses (reducing to 2 next year)

This year we are returning to HBD...doing the Cali Grill brunch...and choosing one from the ADRs I have at Flying Fish and Narcoossees for a date night meal for 2. It's definitely worth doing at least one signature if you have the credits available
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We prefer to do a couple of signature restaurants even if not straying off site, as find it better to do that and spread the counter service credits for other days.
We love the California Grill, and have had three great visits there. Narcoossee was fantastic last visit, and Citrico very good .
I like the Yachtsman but DH isn't as keen, the Flying Fish didn't do it for us, and I've not heard great reviews on the Boathouse.
We went to the Brown Derby years ago before the dining plan, it was really good as I remember.
Edited to say I can't believe I forgot to mention Artists Point, as our visit there in 2015 was outstanding.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 09:27 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List