Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Aug 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

Is it possible to walk from LBV to DS without crossing busy roads?

Hi

We are staying at Marriott Village (Springhill Suites) and have been looking on google maps to see which close restaurants are in walking distance.

We are very close to DS but looking I can see no way over very busy roads.

Is it possible?

Thank you
Nikki
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Basically, no.
As you can see if you are looking at the satellite photo on Google Maps, you are on the wrong side of the I-4 (next to a major junction with the entry/exit slip roads), and you have the 535, Hotel Plaza Blvd and Buena Vista Dr to cross too.
GoogleMaps will show you the walking route, if you ask it for directions - 40 minutes, 2 miles.
The only way to get across the I-4 is up the 535. If you look closely at the aerial photo, you will see the sidewalk is only on one side of the road for much of the way as well.
Apart from a few Brits, everyone in Orlando goes by car!
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Woohoobb
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Yes you can!

I walked that route a hundred times. There are side walks that run under the I4 and crossings for pedestrians all the way. It does take quite a while but if needs must it is doable. I used to walk to the outlets from DS long before Uber was around and couldn't bring myself to take a taxi alone! I know it's pretty crazy but I felt safer walking 🤣 The side walks are large and you get used to the car drivers looking at you funny 🙂
Woohoobb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
chickeninabun
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I walked to the shop once... once! I nearly melted!

chickeninabun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

It looks closer to Disney Springs than it actually is. As IanC says, that area is also very busy with traffic and I can't remember it ever being particularly quiet, even when we've driven through it at night. However, it is an easy drive and perfectly located for Disney, IDrive and the outlets. However, I would think you have got a few restaurants within walking distance without going as far as Disney Springs. I'm sure there's a Golden Corral (massive, cheap and cheerful buffet) and a Bahama Breeze as you turn onto Vineland Avenue.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above you can walk it there are paths alongside the roads under the i4 , you will need to cross the 535 which is a very busy road but there are pedestrian crossings. its quite a walk in the heat though

impossible to avoid crossing the roads

we stayed in the courtyard next door to springhill. there is a bahama breeze, golden coral and a BJ ? brewhouse literally next door in the car park , further along the road is a panera bread & lonhorns & carabbas

the petrol station opposite also has a pizza take out place

crossroads area would be @1/2 way to disney springs loads of choice there

its a great location

Edited at 11:09 AM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

We have walked it many times. There are crossings just make sure you use them!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

On the map it looks so close!

Will drive
DisneyNikki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'd recommend driving also. Worth "driving" down the road on Google maps street view to see what it looks like. We have stayed in the Fairfield Inn a few times (same site as Springhill) and I don't think I'd fancy the walk there and back (not distance or even safety so much, just the sheer madness and business of it all). There are quite a few decent eateries in the area that are nearby and safer to walk to.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyNikki
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
I'd recommend driving also. Worth "driving" down the road on Google maps street view to see what it looks like. We have stayed in the Fairfield Inn a few times (same site as Springhill) and I don't think I'd fancy the walk there and back (not distance or even safety so much, just the sheer madness and business of it all). There are quite a few decent eateries in the area that are nearby and safer to walk to.

It was only for the night we have tickets for CDS at DS. I will not drive over there (wish I had the guts) and wanted to make a night of it and let DH have a few ciders. Will use Uber I think.

Edited at 05:43 PM.